Do You Tell Your Employer You Have AS?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BornToDie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Sep 2009, 11:39 am

do you tell your employer you have asperger's syndrome?

while ADA may provide some protections there can also be covert - even overt - actions or decisions which could significantly affect one's duties, assignments, and advancement due to ignorance, prejudice, or other concerns which may subsequently arise

1. have you every told an employer you have AS and, if so, how do you think it affected your employment situation?

2. if you have not told your employer why have you refrained from doing so?

i teach in a public high school and am debating whether or not is should disclose this information.
i was removed from being a department chair after 5 years in that position by our new principal which reduced my annual income nearly $10K per year.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 11:50 am

If you get along fine, I see that it'd be up to your discretion (I wouldn't bother).

However, don't you have to inform your employer if you have a psychiatric illness/disorder? Of course, not knowing that you have it when you first applied for and got the job is a valid reason for not informing them at that time, but do they require it now from you at your place of employment?

sbwilson
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Sep 2009, 11:59 am

If I told my boss anything personal, he'd use it to make fun of me on some level.

When I believe in something, there's little anyone can do, besides providing evidence to the contrary that can change my mind.

He sees this as bipolar and one time when I was training a new girl, she mentioned to me that she was nervous. I asked her why, and she said that he told her "You're working with Sue, be careful, she's bipolar."

So basically I guess, at my current job, I wouldn't share sh*t. (<-----he would even say that this sentence is evidence of bipolar)

eeyore19
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2009, 11:59 am

I didn't realize I had Asperger's when I applied for my current job, and am somewhat reluctant about revealing that information now (almost 3 years later). I'm worried about getting passed over for a job position because they won't think I'm capable of doing the work.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 12:09 pm

I wouldn't unless there's some specific benefit to be had from doing so. AS disclosure is generally expected to be a negative piece of information. I find that people tend to turn even positive things I say about myself into something negative in ways I can't control or predict. Once the cat is out of the bag, you can't put it back. Actually, my current employers are the ones who told me I have been informally (not officially) diagnosed with AS by my professors and others with some medical background.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 12:43 pm

I always do. Or at least, I've done so far; I've only had two jobs.

In job interviews, I always tell the one who's interviewing me (quite often a boss or someone in an authority position) that I have an autistic disorder. When I say this, they always ask me if this might not be a problem on the job in some way, or if they have to take some things into consideration concerning my ASD. Negative responses have been minimal.

I think telling my superiors that I have Asperger's syndrome helps clarify behaviour that would otherwise seem strange. I won't have to explain myself afterwards. Telling them aids in the communication between them and me; as I have trouble with communication, I feel that I might as well maximise the smoothness of my interactions at work the best way I know how.

Now, of course, as I am in a subsidised workplace that's designed for people with all manner problems, it's not much of an issue, and it's going very well. On the next job I'll look for, I will most definitely mention my ASD as well.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 12:44 pm

I don't do it.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2009, 2:34 pm

BornToDie wrote:
i was removed from being a department chair after 5 years in that position by our new principal which reduced my annual income nearly $10K per year.

Why were you removed? My guess is your new Principal didn't find you a bubbly, superficial "people person"; I guess I'm lucky when I have to deal with the general population it's for short periods of time so it's easy to "put on the face" and act "normal".
I'd tell my present employer if it came up, I'm not going to volunteer the info, but I haven't been formally Dx'ed either. My present employer hired a housekeeper that was multiple personalities and kept her employed for quite a while; so my situation may vary quite a bit from typical.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 2:36 pm

No way. Do not tell an employer, unless you are low functioning and your outward symptoms are obvious.

The less they know the better. Let the quality of your work speak for you.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 2:59 pm

eeyore19 wrote:
I didn't realize I had Asperger's when I applied for my current job, and am somewhat reluctant about revealing that information now (almost 3 years later). I'm worried about getting passed over for a job position because they won't think I'm capable of doing the work.

I was hired in my current job before I even knew about Asperger's Syndrome and got stellar reviews for two years until I got an official DX and then applied for the Family Medical Leave Act for intermittant leave (i.e. when I have flare ups and am going to melt down, I can at least get out of the office). It works out pretty well, considering the hostile work environment I put up with during the regular times. So I put up with what I can, they put up with me.

at least I am still employed, which, in this economy, is a blessing.

Chizpurfle52595

06 Sep 2009, 3:01 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
I always do. Or at least, I've done so far; I've only had two jobs.

In job interviews, I always tell the one who's interviewing me (quite often a boss or someone in an authority position) that I have an autistic disorder. When I say this, they always ask me if this might not be a problem on the job in some way, or if they have to take some things into consideration concerning my ASD. Negative responses have been minimal.

I think telling my superiors that I have Asperger's syndrome helps clarify behaviour that would otherwise seem strange. I won't have to explain myself afterwards. Telling them aids in the communication between them and me; as I have trouble with communication, I feel that I might as well maximise the smoothness of my interactions at work the best way I know how.

Now, of course, as I am in a subsidised workplace that's designed for people with all manner problems, it's not much of an issue, and it's going very well. On the next job I'll look for, I will most definitely mention my ASD as well.

That's sort of been my experience too. Usually I just keep it short and simple and describe how my AS may be relevant to the job or affect the job, and I always end it with examples of the positive traits of my AS, such as thoroughness and attention to detail. Employers usually are intrigued and interested, and happy to make some reasonable accommodations.

Sample statements to the employer: I need a quiet place to do work in with perhaps some white noise from a fan so I can focus better and avoid distractions.
I am shy and not great at starting conversations or knowing when to join in, but I make an effort to be friendly and helpful whenever anyone asks for my assistance. I will always be open and direct with you if there's a problem I can't solve without your help.
I am excellent at proofreading documents because I have always had great spelling and grammar. I can type 70 wpm, and in the rare event that I make a typo, I almost always catch my mistakes.

Just make sure to highlight your positive traits and the resulting benefits to the employer. You MUST be a good advocate for yourself even if you don't feel confident. If you prepare a statement or some notes with the help of a trusted friend, and you express them in person calmly and articulately and without self-pity, you will earn the employer's respect and have a much better chance of being hired for the job.

DavidK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2009, 4:43 pm

I'm in the UK, so things are probably quite a lot different. I tell employers right away if I am asked/if there is a box for it on the application form. I don't put it in CVs/covering letters, as these are meant to be brief so I intend to leave it until interview.

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2009, 5:17 pm

I got fed up with my boss's projecting my future as a manager, so I told him. I later had to tell him about my official dx to obtain reasonable accomodations.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 5:43 pm

budgenator wrote:
My guess is your new Principal didn't find you a bubbly, superficial "people person"

Just out of curiosity, how does being a "people person" equate to being superficial?

Back to the original question ... I don't tell anyone, period. It's no one's business. The only people who know (besides all of you guys) are my children and my ex-husband, and even he didn't know for a long time. I especially wouldn't tell an employer. Why give them more ammunition for placing limits on you? On the other side of the coin, if you know that AS will cause problems for you in a particular job or workplace environment, why work there?

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2009, 6:33 pm

I've only disclosed it on demographic surveys that won't reach my direct supervisor's eyes (or my immediate co-workers).

I'm not very afraid of my current employer finding out (because it's the federal government, and they are considerably more "disability friendly" than many private corporations are), but I would prefer to make the best impression possible so that they get to know "me" first, and not base their impressions of who I am and what I can handle on a label that I've stuck on myself.

The problem is, disclosing a disability is never a "just to let you know, because I trust you" piece of information (at least, not to an employer). To an employer, it is ALWAYS a "something is wrong with me/my performance, because of my disorder" piece of information.

To an employer who hasn't hired you yet, it's a red flag indicating that you will be a "problem employee" if hired.
To an employer who HAS hired you, it's an indicator that the employee has bitten off more than they can chew, and finds the job too hard.

From there, the employer debates their options:

1. Fire/lay off the employee, and hope that they don't have the will/money to file a discrimination lawsuit.
2. Have "the talk" about job-sharing and on-the-job coaching with the employee.
3. Do nothing, but silently vow to never promote that employee.

Mind you, not EVERY employer is like that. But I certainly wouldn't disclose anything unless you are fine with where you are in your job, and don't care about moving ahead.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 8:00 pm

I currently volunteer at a local autism education center, so there is no way for me to hide the fact I'm autistic. When I worked at other jobs, I came up with ways to avoid explaining that I'm autistic. This is because those of us with autistic "disorder" are looked upon as "Rain Man" or simply "ret*d." It is sometimes very hard for me to cover up the fact that I am very different in many ways. However, most jobs I have gotten has been via recommendations of previous employers or people who know me. My work speaks for itself when I am given a chance.