Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

NinjaSquid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2009, 10:43 am

Iam not perfectly normal many people tend to notice that. I never had many friends in school some times i were an outright loner more occupied with books than with my classmates. I had a very hard time how important it is for many people that you dont wear the same clothes all week, wich i found stupid because only an idiot would mind clothing so much. In as a teen i had the oppinion that dating sucess had to do more with some kind of social hierachy than with romantic feelings, i still have but i also believe in some kind of complementary neurosis theory. I liked taxonomy and ecology in elementary school and istantly adopted evolution theory about religion.

I still do sometimes things wich make close friends telling me, that i dont have to wonder about people calling me crazy if i do such. I still a little arkward in social situations, sometimes people make fun of my habit of talking my fetish topics to death. I making fun of my own strangeness to obscur its true dimensions. Rowing if some one asks me about rowing i lecture fluid mechanics and newton.

But otherwise i go offtem out i have few real friends and lot of loose aquitance, i dont have a problem to talk to people if have to and want so but i tend to be cold and nosocial on many occassions in some groups i find it hard to fit in. I can spend days at the university hardly talking to any one. I love pattern and i tend to see them fast, i good at math but i find soft science more entertaining, i thing of behavior as a kind of algorythm. Iam not good at sport.
I dont fear new situations, i had a fear of rejection and emberrassment but i noticed that you look much strange if you let take it over. I believe that its better to loudly loony than to be silent creepy.

I learned english only cause of roleplaying games. I go out a lot and i can go alone to the city and wind up with new aquitance more oftem than not. I also played sometimes tekken a hole night in a club. I sometimes have a hard time to rember people i know superficial.

I think iam NT because i dont have this huge fear from new things wich is essenctial to asperger , but i also think that i have it because people were ever strange to me as i were to them.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 11:02 am

You don't sound like an NT at all to me. Remember, the autism spectrum is just that: a spectrum. It isn't something like the flu that has the same symptoms (for those of us who take things literally, I am not calling Asperger's a disease). Just because you are missing one aspect doesn't mean you don't have several others (which you do, just from reading that post).

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 11:19 am

Quote:
I learned english only cause of roleplaying games. I go out a lot and i can go alone to the city and wind up with new aquitance more oftem than not. I also played sometimes tekken a hole night in a club. I sometimes have a hard time to rember people i know superficial.
What were your role playing games, and what is your first language?

NinjaSquid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2009, 11:53 am

Gurps, German so it wasnt such a longway i mean basic vocabular is quite similliar and advanced is easily to deduce from latin...

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 2:31 pm

I share some of the characteristics you describe. the one about not recognizing people even if I've met them a few times has been very embarrassing at times.

as a teenager I did not have appropriate caution, so would go do pretty much anything, any time, with anybody. I didn't develop appropriate sense of safety and caution until 20s, and had no adult supervision. social situations were always awkward, but I'm actually surprised I survived to adulthood because of how reckless I was.

I am absolutely sure I'm not NT.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 5:44 pm

It's funny. If the OP had posted with the subject line of: "Do I have AS?" I bet that most people would say "Maybe, but probably not given how mild you sound."

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 8:18 pm

A fear of all new things is not essential to AS.
Based on your description, it is not unrealistic to consider the possibility of an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (such as Asperger Syndrome). Nothing you have typed excludes AS, and much of what you have typed is suggestive of AS.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 8:52 pm

NinjaSquid wrote:
I think iam NT because i dont have this huge fear from new things wich is essenctial to asperger , but i also think that i have it because people were ever strange to me as i were to them.

Fear of new things isn't essential. You are confusing that with reluctance to change. I want to eat the saame thing, go the same way, etc... Reluctance to change. But my job DEMANDS that I learn new things, etc...

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 11:41 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
It's funny. If the OP had posted with the subject line of: "Do I have AS?" I bet that most people would say "Maybe, but probably not given how mild you sound."

And that's very interesting, isn't it? It's obviously some kind of "contrarian" impulse (if you will), but is this something with a link to AS? Some kind of predisposition? Or is it simply a normal statistical subset of the general population? Or perhaps this is in all of us, but AS makes it more likely to manifest sort of like when the ocean receeds from a large rock. You can see the rock if the ocean is low, but not if the ocean is high. AS in this analogy would be like being at permanent low-tide where you can always see the rock.

The stranger thing is that once these opinions form, the individual truly espouses them completely. I notice I do this same thing too! There is no halfway. Once the judgment is made, it is completely unshakable in one direction unless completely derailed by something incontrovertable. Then it typically swings to the other extreme at full 100%.

These are the kinds of things I love to study too! To try to learn more about myself and about the underlying nature of humanity. To make myself a better person if I can. For example, the thought tangent inspired by this thread makes me want to examine some of my 'unshakable truths' and see if I can accept some 'gray areas' and some compromises.