Another Personality Typology: What Are You?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 12:49 am

I have been studying personality psychology and abnormal psychology informally for a while now; and, using this knowledge, I have devised a new personality typology! The traits of autism, anxiety, depression, egotism, extraversion, and impulsivity are meant to form distinct types when extracted from their respective continua: autism-extraversion, anxiety-impulsivity, and depression-egotism. People whose personalities are a mix between two opposite types are mentally unstable; for example, a person who has bipolar disorder is a cross between depression and egotism. A person who has schizophrenia is a cross between autism and extraversion. A person who has dissociative identity disorder, or multiple personality disorder, has a cross between anxiety and impulsivity.

• Autistic
  • Anxious
  • Depressive
  • Egotistical
  • Extraverted
  • Impulsive
Read the descriptions of each type to figure out which best describe you:
Autistic
Autistic individuals are just that: individuals. They are especially apt at deep thinking and introspection and tend to prefer a slow, reflective pace in their lives. They prefer clear written communication instead of impromptu speaking. Curling up to a good book, daydreaming, or solving a difficult mathematical problem are all common forms of fun for the autistic person.

Anxious
Anxious people feel everything’and painfully so. They enjoy analyzing and discussing their feelings either with other people or through poetry, meditation, and journaling. They can be shy, easily frightened, and highly sensitive to other people's emotions; but they also have strong beliefs, even if they do not choose to express them easily. They may be less prone to try new things, but they have a great understanding of what they know.

Depressive
Depressive people are the world's pessimists, naysayers, realists, and doubters. They take everything with a grain of salt—including themselves. They ask themselves how is it possible? instead of if it is possible? They tend to be apathetic, hypoactive, and moody. They enjoy poetry, criticism and skeptical analysis, disaster planning, and more.

Egotistical
Egotistical people are never at a loss for self-confidence; they exude it constantly. Everything is relative—to themselves. Helping others is a calculated move that they believe will ultimately benefit themselves most. They are not afraid to speak of their accomplishments or talents as if they are they only ones to possess them. They tend to overestimate their abilities and take on more responsibilities than they can adequately handle sometimes. They tend to be very persuasive and somewhat loose arbitrators of morality.

Extraverted
Extraverted people are lively and energetic. Socialization and being part of the group are their preference. They tend to dislike too much introspection and thinking, preferring action and stimulation instead. They are very aware of other people's thought and feelings and can be expert at entertaining or satisfying them.

Impulsive
Impulsive people are easily bored and take action with little consideration of its consequences. They tend not to have any long-term plans or goals, always living in the moment. They anger easily and are prone to quick changes in mood. They may make more poor decisions than their intelligence alone would predict.

Some hybrid types

• Antisocial personality disorder = egotistical + impulsive
  • Asperger's syndrome = autistic + anxious
  • Bipolar disorder = depressive + (egotistical or extraverted or impulsive)
  • Dissociative identity disorder/multiple personality disorder = anxious + impulsive
  • Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder = anxious + egotistical
  • Narcissistic personality disorder = egotistical + extraverted
  • Schizoid personality disorder = autistic
  • Schizophrenia = autistic + extraverted

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 12:59 am

So how many times does this make that you have created threads about this same topic now? :roll:

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2005, 1:19 am

Mix of autistic, anxious, and depressive. Trace elements of extroversion and impulsiveness, and some aspiration to more egotism.

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 1:24 am

Should I be concerned if I seem to fit into every single category listed?

:P

majedemon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Dec 2005, 7:22 am

wow.. thanks man that is very helpful..
thank you very much, i think you should consider putting this in more forms... or maybe in a profisional area..
good luck

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 7:31 am

Sean wrote:
So how many times does this make that you have created threads about this same topic now? :roll:
Where are the other ones?

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 7:41 am

I will look at this some more but I think it is a good start.
One thing I would add is the idea that people may have a combination of all of the traits. If you get your traits on a contiuum and identify anchors, it gets a little more complicated but you have a way of describing someone in more depth than with just two tags.
The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory does this; while I think it does not give a complete picture of an individual, it does give its limited picture in more depth.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

majedemon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Dec 2005, 8:18 am

well you can think of me as "Autistic" only.. that's it.. everything you said in under Autistic, is me.. :D.. really weird
thanks

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 12:33 pm

Neant wrote:
for example, a person who has bipolar disorder is a cross between depression and egotism. A person who has schizophrenia is a cross between autism and extraversion. A person who has dissociative identity disorder, or multiple personality disorder, has a cross between anxiety and impulsivity.

???

How did you get DID from anxiety and impulsiveness?

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

*just turns around and walks slowly and quietly away from the crazy person*

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 2:48 pm

Sophist wrote:
Neant wrote:
for example, a person who has bipolar disorder is a cross between depression and egotism. A person who has schizophrenia is a cross between autism and extraversion. A person who has dissociative identity disorder, or multiple personality disorder, has a cross between anxiety and impulsivity.

???

How did you get DID from anxiety and impulsiveness?

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

*just turns around and walks slowly and quietly away from the crazy person*

Simple, I was trying to figure out some sort of psychiatric disorder for that combination, and I basically picked one at random. Maybe borderline personality disorder would have been a better fit.

pooftis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2005, 3:17 pm

NeantHumain wrote:

Simple, I was trying to figure out some sort of psychiatric disorder for that combination, and I basically picked one at random. Maybe borderline personality disorder would have been a better fit.

Picking one at random makes the whole thing superfluous though doesn't it?

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 4:36 pm

Neant's base argument is as follows;

Quote:
People whose personalities are a mix between two opposite types are mentally unstable;

to which i argue the opposite is true.

If someone, whose personalities are a mix between two opposite types are metally UNSTOPABLE;

meaning:
if someone has the ability to display two personality traits that are opposite, they can only be classified as Bi-polar.
or
If one is born with this ability or acquired it through effort then this person would then have the ability to also possess everything in between. This gives them the abilty to have an Unstopable array of personality traits to select from.

Other than the language problems in this argument i think it is a fascinating theory. I will consider it more, perhaps it is of use, perhaps it isn't.
twice, two seperate consecutive days, another has forced me to rethink or think at all. I appreciate that. Thanks Neant.

hermit
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2005, 4:53 pm

Hmm... lots of good stuff here.

Initial analysis reveals the base argument to be true, that some personality traits may combine to produce some recognizable dysfuntion.

Quote:
Asperger's syndrome = autistic + anxious

This I feel very strongly is true about me. However I bet there are plenty of folks here who would disagree. Meaning, from what I've leaned about some other Aspies, some of us have very oppposite traits.

The use of the word "spectrum" should not be taken lightly. I feel ALL brain function is a continuum, how could it not be? There is infinite variety among us, and all our brains are different.

Using anchors as suggested may work, but now as I think more about this, I don't believe so. I think you may always find traits that are common to certain illnesses, but are not neccessary or sufficient in themselves.

When it comes to brain function I believe in tendencies, even within your own brain. After all it changes constantly. Labels are useful to help others understand, harmful when used negatively, but on the whole must exist. Man must quantify.

It is fascinating and I hope some others will have interesting things to say.

Zephistage
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Dec 2005, 5:05 pm

Autistic, Impulsive, Depressive.

Oh, and you spelled Extroverted wrong.

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 6:07 pm

OFF TOPIC

Is Hermit an Alias for Neuroman.
Neuroman is from the apartment of solitude
And what is a Hermit, if not similar.

The views are strikingly brilliant.
Makes me wonder...

...is the East coast producing greater minds, than the west coast?

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2005, 6:11 pm

Nah, it must be presence of weather, and free time with the mind