Are you proud of being on the spectrum?

Page 5 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 9:23 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
And if I weren't a member of such a group, I would still be alone and a member of no group. Kids who were born in the early 1990's cannot understand this kind of isolation. Asperger's has always been a diagnosis and they've always had support and a group to belong to (or criticize, whatever their particular bent). They always had computers to use to contact and communicate with others. There was never an "awakening" of going from "nobody understands me" to "there is a group of select individuals that think almost exactly like I do". The joy, the "magic", the wonderment of finally finding the answer to the lifelong question of who am I and WHY, GAWD, WHY AM I LIKE THIS?!?

Born in the 90's I'd have to say I disagree with this. I was born two years before they put Asperger syndrome in the DSM IV, and even when they did, it was an unspoken rule that it applied primarily to little boys, one of which I am not. Even today I read books by parents who are met with skepticism when they tell others their daughters are autistic. Growing up having no idea what was "wrong" with me made school, elementary school in particular, a nightmare. It was only after nineteen years of feeling like an outcast and poring through every diagnostics/disorders book I could find that I realised I had Asperger's, that I wasn't alone. Needless to say, yes, I am proud of being an aspie, not because of the label itself, but because of the perseverance and strength it represents. Most of us have to try twice as hard as everyone else (read; NT's) to get by in ordinary situations, yet somehow we manage it. A lot of amazing things would never have come about if it weren't for people with Asperger's; we are an impressive group.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Roninninja
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2012, 12:06 am

buryuntime wrote:
You didn't EARN or DO anything to be autistic, so why be proud of it?
I agree with this comment. I'm not really proud of having a condition I was born with. If anything I feel that it holds me back in some ways.
:?

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 12:34 am

I'm proud of it in the same way that I'm proud to be an American. It's definitely a different sense of pride than the pride of making it through basic training and being in the military (though I was discharged a month and a half later).

Being on the spectrum is part of who I am and I'm proud of who I am.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

9of47
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2012, 6:42 am

I am proud of all the things I've achieved as an Aspie, despite the associated difficulties. Especially because a number of them would be impressive to the average NT and especially due to all the NTs who put me through hell and back because they couldn't cope with someone who exhibited Neurodiversity. In saying this, I think I need to go and kick some more NT ass (metaphorically speaking).

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 6:59 am

Roninninja wrote:
buryuntime wrote:
I agree with this comment. I'm not really proud of having a condition I was born with. If anything I feel that it holds me back in some ways.
:?

I guess it depends on how you define proud.

horsegurl4190
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2012, 10:45 pm

I am very proud of my diagnosis. Yes I have endured difficulties due to AS and I still do face some, but finding ways to get though these difficulties is what makes me a stronger better person. I love who I am today. I have an identity, thanks to the initiative socially and careerwise I have taken.. :lol:

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jun 2012, 10:48 pm

It's not something I take pride in, but I'm also not ashamed of it. Makes being a teenager a whole lot easier.

Monkeybuttorama
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2012, 10:57 pm

I like knowing *why* I am the way I am, and I love who I am, so... I guess so, yes ^_^

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2012, 11:08 pm

buryuntime wrote:

This.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 12:44 am

No.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2012, 1:32 am

definitly NO

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 1:38 am

I wish nurotypicals would be proud of my autism.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 1:40 am

Neither yes or no. It's just something you are. I find taking pride in it as being just as absurd as being proud of the color of skin you were born with. You did nothing to achieve it, therefore you have no right to be proud of it. However, it is not something I am ashamed as either. If asked then I would explain that I probably have aspergers. If someone doesn't like it then tough. Deal with it.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2012, 2:09 am

buryuntime wrote:

^This
And, likewise, I didn't DO anything to be autistic, so I'm not ashamed either

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 2:10 am

To me, it is more accepting who I am. I am proud to be an unique individual but I am not proud of how I am treated like a misfit by society

VicSage
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jun 2012, 4:27 am

There isn't any consensus on NLD being on the spectrum but it's similar to AS in lots of ways so I'll answer. The way my mind works was a source of shame for me in the past. It made be feel pretty stupid when my naivety in new situations and my sometimes literal mind got me into trouble. Now the traits I have and the things I do make me laugh. When I watch tv characters with similar traits to me it makes me feel warm inside. I think it's a sign that I've started to accept myself.