Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 10:49 am

You're totally right - they didn't cause my inability to lift the screen. They only caused the whole nightmare after it.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 10:58 am

Screen gems topic

I just learned something new today--provocation. I had a similar experience when I called a help desk for assistance with a piece of computer equipment. Too much passing the buck, so i got rid of the piece of junk (it was toast anyway) and got one from my cable provider so at least I can exchange it if necessary.

Poor Greentea. You have more computer/electronic problems than I have. :roll: :x

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 11:04 am

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that they want stuff to leave the store but they don't want it to come back in. When stuff has to come back, it has to, but they will never make it easier. This isn't really about the individuals working there but rather about the company's desire to have products go away and never come back.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 11:13 am

Janissy, for more products to leave the store, they need satisfied customers. So it still doesn't make sense to me.

I always ask them in these cases: "Doesn't it bother you that I buy at your store only when I have no other possible choice in the world, such as another store or doing without, rather than favor your store and always be looking at what more I could buy from you? You could be making 10 times more sales if you respected your customers. Doesn't that make your heart jump a little?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 11:18 am

Greentea wrote:
I don't understand, when I work - anything that I do gets to the boss, whether I could've helped it or not. But in stores and such, you aren't allowed to speak to a manager ever. Employees get away with murder.

Only IF the manager/owner of the establishment tolerates it.

The rule is simple...."It takes years to win a customer and only seconds to lose one."

I worked at a grocery store, not the worst thing in the world, and customer service was THE TOP priority. In most any economy, you are competing to have people come in and give you their money for your products. The little things can earn customer loyalty or end it.

Another rule is...."Satisfied Customers Tell Three Friends, Angry Customers Tell 3000."

You depend on people's good report to sell your business, but offending customers only hurts you, and in greater numbers.

I fault this breakdown on two basic issues.

1. Lack of competition. When businesses don't have to compete, they can be complacent. I lived in Laramie, WY and the local businesses were horrible on many levels. Since they all acted equally boorish, they got away with it. They were upset when WalMart came to town. They said it was a matter of cost competition, but it was also an issue of customer service. They could be jerks so long as there was no other competitor wanting their customers.

2. Poor compensation of workers. You want cheap labor? You don't want to reward competence and diligence in the workplace? Expect a disaster. Disaffected workers do the minimum required of them and look to shirk at every opportunity. WalMart has long since gone this way, and it's why they can't find decent people to work for them for very long.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 11:48 am

Greentea wrote:
I'm sorry too.

It's a tactic used to make you lose it. It's called provocation, as drowbot said. Purposeful provocation is NOT the same as "pissing someone off". Asking 6 times to provide my location (2 employees 3 times each), then making me wait on the phone line, then pretending they hadn't talked to me before, then asking for the third time why I don't go to a repair shop (when I had told them several times that they themselves had asked me to come to the store and that I'd bought the equipment 2 days prior), then yelling at me and forcing me to apologize for yelling back or else I don't get the faulty equipment replaced - is provocation and abuse. Passive-aggressive. Attack. If I left, I was stuck with unusable equipment that had cost me several hundred $ and couldn't do anything about it. When you have the option of leaving (such as in marriage dispute) it's a different case. And your spouse's racial insults have nothing to do with me.
I agree with this. I've seen both store workers and customers engage in this type of behavior, and it's all designed to get something they're not entitled to (either something for free, humiliating someone, or avoiding responsibility).

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 11:48 am

I used to have a supplier of translation services (we needed tons at our company, I worked for the world cosmetics leader, you can figure out what company I'm talking about), I'd pay fortunes to them each month, for all types of marketing materials and translations, and they treated me so abusively that I always ended in tears. I hated my job mainly because of this tiny store that lived off me - yet tortured me. I'd get home all shaky and depressed each time, every week, even a few times a week. But they were the only ones in the neighborhood, and emails didn't exist back then, and my job was hectic, so I needed someone in the very close area. One day a huge chain arrived in the neighborhood, an American chain. They had American standards of efficiency, service and conduct. They asked people in the neighborhood who the big fish were, and were pointed right in my direction, of course. I told them I'd try them out once. I ended up giving them all my translation, office services and publishing work. Several thousands of $ a month. They were always nice, always service-oriented, always with a smile, never abused me. Then one day the tiny store owner called me and practically begged me to come back, gave me a reduced prices contract, anything I got from the big chain she'd give me, etc. All I said was: "Tell me something, Alice. All the time while you were abusing me and applauding your staff for abusing me, didn't it ever cross your mind that one day another translations company might move into the neighborhood and I might have another option?" She closed the company a couple months later. Last I've heard from her is she's doing a little bit of translations for a couple small customers, by herself, from home. She has no staff anymore nor big companies to work for. She's probably bitter at the big chains. I really don't understand people... People are so strange that only Janissy can understand them and explain them...

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 11:53 am

bhetti, everywhere there are abusers trying to get a free ride down the staircase after purchasing wares for thousands of $ and getting faulty equipment for their money. :lol:

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 12:00 pm

I have to agree a little with Jim, who reminded us that we are ultimately responsible for our own actions. The example of the spouse yelling inappropriately was an illustration of how someone can "lose it" and blame everyone else for their "losing it". It applies to you in the fact that you are doing the same thing as the abusive spouse - blaming others for your poor actions. Don't whine about "provocation" - your an adult and you need to behave in a calm, rational way.

Greentea - you were probably frustrated with the way that you were treated - however, you still need to be in control of your own actions. It's called personal responsibility.

You are not responsible for any poor actions on behalf of the staff at this store. You have a right to complain to all levels of management. You have a right to complain to the Better Business Bureau. You have a right to post accurate descriptions about your experience on-line to warn others about shopping there. You have a right to never give this store business again in the future. However, even if the store employees were complete buffoons - you do not have a right to use aggressive or threatening language. Period!!

I have worked SUCCESSFULLY in retail and customer service. As a health care professional, I continue to work with hundreds of people (patients/families/visitors/other professionals from many disciplines). I have a saying, "I am always the professional." I occassionaly have to tell people things that they don't want to hear. They get mad at me. I NEVER RAISE MY VOICE TO THEM. EVER. I expect the same cordial way of communication in return. Throughout our facilitiy, we have clear reminders that abusive, aggressive, threatening behaviour will NOT be tolerated. If someone has a problem with me or what I am telling them, there are other avenues to go about rectifying the situation without "losing it." If someone started raising their voice to me or using threatening language, I WILL terminate the conversation and advise that I will be open to discussing it again when they are able to do so with respectful language and communication.

On a different note - just so you are all aware, there are legitimate reasons why the store staff may not have left the store to help you with this return. There may be liability issues. If a staff member leaves the premises to help you navigate your purchase down the stairs and they are hurt in the process - there may be no Workers Compensation for them because 1) helping carry an item into the store from an external location is not in their job duties and 2) they are not on the job site when the injury occurs. Also, from a policy point of view - this time it was one floor up, there may be another customer who is two floors up and down the corridor, the next one will be in the parking lot. The next one will be two blocks away from the store - when does it end???

Back to your electronics return, if you truly think that you were wronged - go through the proper channels. Return the item when the elevator is fixed or bring a friend to help. Calmly and without raising your voice advise them that the item is being returned for a full refund and that you won't be shopping there anymore. Write a letter to the management of the store and the head office, again, calmly explaining what transpired and advising that you will not shop there again. This would be a reasonably effective way of dealing with poor customer service without making yourself look like the bad guy.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 12:14 pm

[quote="CanadianRose"]you do not have a right to use aggressive or threatening language.[quote]

You got it backwards - it was the store manager who threatened me, as I said above.