Do you show more consideration to inanimate objects than...

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 11:32 pm

Do you show more consideration to inanimate objects than to other people?

Not on purpose, just normally, naturally.

I am not sure how often I do it, but today... when walking by a chair if I kicked it or something, I automatically say "I'm sorry" or "Excuse me".... and I said "pardon me" while going around a trash bag. My son brought it to my attention initially, and as I was watching him, he does it too.

I also get more upset when things are broken than when somebody is emotionally upset with me. I just go into meltdown mode automatically when someone is yelling at me for too long, or mad at me and won't tell me why... but with objects, I genuinely feel sad at times. There have been times in observing my son, looking back on it, when he's gotten hurt pretty bad (doing things like walking straight off of his bed without paying attention), but was more concerned as to whether or not his spaceship he was building out of legos managed to survive the fall.

I do feel for people, and try to be polite... don't get me wrong. But it is harder for me to figure them out, I guess... than for instance, a chair, which is visibly in my way, unable to move itself of course, but I ran into it anyway not watching. So I would likely say "sorry" to the inanimate object before saying it to the person who saw me coming and still opted to walk in front of me at the last minute... people are just more unpredictable, not set in stone... whereas with an item, if it's there, it's just there... if it's broken, it's visibly broken. No guessing games.

Does any of that make sense?

Are any of you like this, or do you ever notice it?

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

kip
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 11:37 pm

Took the words right out of my mouth. I have the same reaction with animals, care far more if they are alright than people.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 11:51 pm

kip wrote:
Took the words right out of my mouth. I have the same reaction with animals, care far more if they are alright than people.

I've always been like that I suppose... what you said reminded me of an incident from when I was about 5 years old. My friend's mom was watching some movie about a monster that turned into a wolf and it was killing everyone. I walked into the room and the wolf caught my eye in the movie, so I just stood there watching without her noticing (I was supposed to be asleep). All these people in the movie were all sad and scared and running... when they turned to shoot the monster (in wolf form), I cried for probably 3 hours. I was furious about it... her mom tried to explain what the monster had done and all, and I was just sooo upset and was yelling "so what! They didn't have to kill an animal, they could have kept on running away! Why didn't they just get in their cars and drive off???" lol.

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2009, 11:53 pm

Whenever I break something, I feel as though I've taken a life. =/

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 11:56 pm

anxiety25 wrote:
I also get more upset when things are broken than when somebody is emotionally upset with me. ... but with objects, I genuinely feel sad at times.

... but was more concerned as to whether or not his spaceship he was building out of legos managed to survive the fall.

Does any of that make sense?

Are any of you like this, or do you ever notice it?

:lol: Yep, been there, done that, but nobody was selling t-shirts.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Oct 2009, 12:52 am

I hate it when there is a violent scene in a movie, and an animal gets hurt. I know I should be upset about the humans, but I almost never am.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 12:55 am

when I got angry with my (then 3 year old) brother for breaking a toy of mine, my mother angrily said "You care more about that toy than you do your own brother!"

...yeah, like letting my brother BREAK a toy is compassionate....yeah right.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 1:41 am

Yeah, sure, in my ideal day there are no people.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 1:48 am

Kids who are autistic tend to be more into objects than people from birth. Here's a video explanation of it on autismspeaks.org. But you got to make a username first though

http://autismspeaks.player.abacast.com/ ... tismspeaks

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 2:10 am

haha ive done this before and it drives eveyr human crazy how sweet, how gentle, how nice and considerate, how loving i am to my rubber keyboard or my rubber phone or my blue diamond but to humans its usually the opposite not always, but def not on purpose, i feel a connection, and have a problem between fake and real, to me my rubber keyboard is real, but a human is fake, idk why, but thats how i percieve things, weird i know lol. def not alone hehe.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 2:27 pm

I'm definitely like. I love my things and my dog, my cat and fish. I'm very gentle with my things, as well, handling them carefully. Whenever someone breaks something, I'll sometimes cry, like, 'how could you?'. I'm quite materialistic, I guess. Even I feel bad whenever I drop something. I think that's kind of why I don't like to let people borrow things. I worry they might not treat them well. Hard to explain, but oh well.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 4:46 pm

I do this, I usually mutter excuse me or sorry to humans but I actually feel more for objects and say things to them more than people, I also do everything possible to help animals. I go out of my way not to scare birds and feed them by throwing bread outside.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 6:42 am

Yes, I get more excited over action figures than I do people.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Oct 2009, 12:12 pm

I care very much for certain objects and have respect for them. I think it's because they are symbols and represent something more than what they appear to be. I don't believe they have a life per se, but they do have an existence as much as I have existence. I don't speak to objects, but I treat them reverently. Plants and trees I do speak to, I encourage them to grow and be healthy, I worry when they are not thriving and I grieve for them when they die. I have one plant that I have had for about 10 years and a year or so ago it started to wither and finally appeared to be dead. But I would not give up on it and I refused to accept that it was dead. I talked to it every day. A few months ago it came back to life, one small branch began to leaf and flower. I would be very upset if I had to move from my house and leave all of my trees and flowers behind. My daughter has offered to pay for having all of my trees dug up and moved with me if I do have to move. Not the giant age old ones of course, but the trees my kids have given me over the years.

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2009, 12:46 pm

I've rarely had any attachment to objects, and when I have it's because they're useful or beautiful. I don't collect anything and it's fairly easy for me to throw stuff out when I feel that my life is getting too cluttered.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 12:47 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
My daughter has offered to pay for having all of my trees dug up and moved with me if I do have to move. Not the giant age old ones of course, but the trees my kids have given me over the years.

Awww, that is very sweet of her :)

I've never been able to be like that with plants and things, but maybe I just haven't hit a gardening phase as most of my family has gone through. Most of my time is spent inside, so I assume that is why I don't worry too much about things outside or think about them often.