does forest gump and ross gellar have AS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Oct 2009, 7:04 pm

forest gump from forest gump and ross gellar from friends. ross is very persistent and probably has some ocd (afterall, he's a paleontalogist professor) and monica gellar has ocd too.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 8:56 pm

:D Ross, maybe. He even seemed to be frequently rejected and ostracized by other paleontologists. When you're too nerdy for the other nerds, you might be an Aspie.

Forrest had issues that go far beyond HFA. :roll:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 9:20 pm

Forrest's social skills are too good.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 10:38 pm

I think Forrest's army buddy, Bubba I think, might have been a good candidate.

I loved the scene where they were desegregating a school and Forrest asks what is happening.

The word 'Coon' is used and so Forrest replies something like;

'Racoons, they wanna come here?'

Wonderful

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2009, 11:12 pm

I don't think Forrest has AS. He's got issues for sure, but I don't think it's AS.

I'm not sure if Ross has it either. I think that his social skills are too good. He is, however, my favorite character on friends (I think because he's a paleontologist.)

The only fictional character I can think of right off hand that really made me think "aspie!" upon watching them is Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 11:16 pm

Definitely not Forrest, but definitely likely Ross; it's probably why he was the only character on the show I liked...and I really can't stand Friends at all.

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Oct 2009, 1:14 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
Definitely not Forrest, but definitely likely Ross; it's probably why he was the only character on the show I liked...and I really can't stand Friends at all.

my favourite is chandler and it's funny that ur favourite is my least favourite or 2nd least.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 3:53 am

Forest had borderline MR; just a little "slow" with schoolwork.

His social ability was relatively intact (social reciprocation), if a little childish sometimes.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 4:12 am

Forrest is just slow. He's very naive, but i think that has more to do with his relatively low intellectual abilities than being on the autistic spectrum.. He doesn't show any autistic-like behaviors at all, really. Bubba's shrimp obsession could definitely be some kind of autistic thing, though. I don't think Ross is Aspie in any way. He's really into paleontology, but he still manages to have a wide range of interests outside of it.. and he has tons of friends. Good friends, too. He also finds a lot of dates. He's just a bit of a nerd at times, but still very socially functional. Monica might have Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, maybe?
I still think sheldon is the closest to being aspie of any popular tv show character. He even comes out and says a few times that he doesn't recognize facial expressions, and he's very inflexible. He has his group of friends, but if you've seen all the episodes the only reason he even has then is because he needed a roomate, Leonard ending up being that roomate, and Leonard's friends just started hanging around with him because they were Leonard's friends and he lived with him. And, even with them his reciprocal communication isn't great, he always goes into monologues despite everyone else being annoyed, he rarely picks up sarcasm, and he generally only talks about what he wants to talk about. The only really un-aspie things about him are that he has really good eye contact and has a wide variety of interests.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 4:21 am

I've been watching The Big Bang Theory some more, and as it's been going on, more and more ASD things are propping up with Sheldon, so I think people do have a case in saying that he has a somewhat mild ASD.

It's probably impossible to give a "best" case or depiction, as people will identify differently with different symptoms, because "we" all have them to varying degrees.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 10:49 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Forest had borderline MR; just a little "slow" with schoolwork.

His social ability was relatively intact (social reciprocation), if a little childish sometimes.
at one point in the movie it was stated Forrest's IQ was 75.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 11:43 am

ColdBlooded wrote:
Forrest is just slow. He doesn't show any autistic-like behaviors at all, really.

Automated ping pong (champion); running across the United States..........TWICE..........'for no particular reason'

ColdBlooded wrote:
I still think sheldon is the closest to being aspie of any popular tv show character.

Kramer?

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 11:57 am

ColdBlooded wrote:
I still think sheldon is the closest to being aspie of any popular tv show character.

Dr. Gil Grissom: CSI Las Vegas

'Hodges': CSI Las Vegas (I loved his 'Lab Rats' board game)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 9:29 pm

It's been mentioned in other forums online that the writers of Big Bang Theory are intentionally writing elements of Sheldon's character based on the Asperger description in the DSM-IV, which explains why, although an adult, he behaves like an Aspie CHILD (also explains why they gave him an obsession with TRAINS - talk about taking things too literally!). Leonard actually behaves much more like a young adult Aspie.

Sheldon is only vaguely aware that he's socially inept and doesn't really feel it's important. Leonard KNOWS he's socially inept and suffers anxiety as a direct result of it on almost a daily basis (except for the current season in which he's actually getting laid, but that won't last).