Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DrGonzo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2006, 1:26 am

I realize that post count has nothing to do with how well respected a member may be. It has to do with how well that poster expresses him or herself. Personally, i write as a person who is afflicted with shortness of breath might speak. I've noticed that my posts go mostly ignored, and i've been a regular visitor to many forums so I'm not blaming anyone here. All forums that i have visited have resulted in the same outcome. So, what is the secret to becoming successful in an online forum? What sort of posts do you have to make to get people to realize that you exist?

alex
Developer
Developer

08 Feb 2006, 1:41 am

make a memorable avatar.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 2:28 am

Longevity helps, too. I've gotten comments on my avatar, but I doubt I "exist" quite yet, for the simple reason that I have been on this forum only three days!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 2:31 am

DrGonzo wrote:
I realize that post count has nothing to do with how well respected a member may be. It has to do with how well that poster expresses him or herself. Personally, i write as a person who is afflicted with shortness of breath might speak. I've noticed that my posts go mostly ignored, and i've been a regular visitor to many forums so I'm not blaming anyone here. All forums that i have visited have resulted in the same outcome. So, what is the secret to becoming successful in an online forum? What sort of posts do you have to make to get people to realize that you exist?

Well, I don't know really. Some of the favourite members here I never bother to notice at all. But post count does help - but use your posts for something decent and not spurting garbage.

That really all I can think of.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 2:53 am

Lots of people ignore me too. I'm used to it: I'm older than the average poster here and therefore unlikely to attract 'peers'.

I think possibly asking questions or making posts that entail or draw questions will get more responses than posts that make short statements of opinion.

I know some of the posters here ask questions a lot, it gets them responses.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 3:33 am

The thing is, It's very easy to get noticed, but harder to be respected.

It really depends what you really want - I'm probably very noticable with my blunt opinions, but a lot of members don't like that.

If you want respect, you have to go along with what most other members are like, and what they approve of.

I can't give you much advice about respct, probably because I don't have much from a lot of the members here, but if you want to be noticed, just participate and be yourself :)

DrGonzo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2006, 5:03 am

I think that it would be nice to be the Hale-Bopp of the forums.

QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 10:45 am

Make an Ask DrGonzo Anything thread.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 12:09 pm

Post threads on topics that are likely to incite a debate, or something a lot of members can relate to.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 2:55 pm

Postperson wrote:
I think possibly asking questions or making posts that entail or draw questions will get more responses than posts that make short statements of opinion.

I know some of the posters here ask questions a lot, it gets them responses.

Yes, that's a good point. More people are inclined to respond to a question than to a comment.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

TuDoDude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2006, 3:09 pm

From a casual observation it appears that comments that are incindiary and generally off-topic concerning AS get a more noticeable response than others.

DrGonzo wrote:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2006, 4:11 pm

I tend to pay attention to the subject matter much more than the poster. Only after a long time present in a forum do I notice who has what opinion, or categorize people in terms of their personalities, or even remember poster names; though I could easily summarize the various views on a matter.

I would therefore recommend you take pains to give as many new pieces of information and novel viewpoints on any given issue as possible. Inform; do not incite. That way lies trolling.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 1:09 am

I have responded to you DrGonzo. (and yet again)
I think the secret is to just hang in there and keep adding your voice to the cacaphony and eventually, you just kinda find your place. You begin to notice a few people that you can really relate to so you tend to stalk their posts and join into their conversations. You begin to start threads (good job on this one) And I've noticed, if you really want some attention, post a thread on which you threaten to leave. That works every time. We're all suckers for that one!
Best of luck!!

Aspen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2006, 2:50 am

Bland wrote:
And I've noticed, if you really want some attention, post a thread on which you threaten to leave. That works every time. We're all suckers for that one!
Best of luck!!

Dr. Gonzo,
Whatever you do, please don't do that! Don't feel bad. Only a few people know I exist here either, so here is my advice for what it's worth. I looked at your old posts and I noticed you make lots of nice comments but you don't ask many questions. People are more likely to answer your questions (like this one, for example) than comment on your comments. Just keep posting on things that interest you. It takes time for some people to learn about you and your ideas.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 8:35 am

Aspen wrote:
Dr. Gonzo,
Whatever you do, please don't do that!

I was just being facetious.

Aspen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Feb 2006, 12:23 pm

Bland wrote:
I was just being facetious.

Sorry, I didn't know. It seems to me that there are several of those very dramatic, "I'm leaving and never coming back! Don't try to stop me!" threads that are serious to people who start them, although it seems the thread starters can never resist answering the people who answer them.

Now that I know it is a joke, it is very funny, actually!

Bland wrote:
And I've noticed, if you really want some attention, post a thread on which you threaten to leave. That works every time. We're all suckers for that one!

HAHAHAHAHA

Dr Gonzo, I just want to add that if you do ask questions and someone answers them, then you need to respond to let them know you read what they wrote, otherwise they might not know.