Need a solution to an unusual problem

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 10:39 pm

Well it should be want since I dont know if Im going to do it any time soon but anyway I recently found out that I have a half sister who I have never met (or even know existed) and I am curious if anyone knows a way I can find out who she is without asking my dad (my mom told me so I dont even think my dad knows that I know.) Any suggestions would be nice.

PS she doesnt have my last name or anything like that and my dad signed away all rights to her when she was a baby (dont ask me why.)

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 10:45 pm

If your grandparents live in Texas and your half-sister would be 37, it's me.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 10:55 pm

Nope dont think so, any real advice.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 11:01 pm

Well, you have to at least have a maiden name on your sister. I recently did a search on the internet for my biological father (I wasn't joking) and found alot of names listed in the state that I believe he lives. (unfortunately, his last name is Johnson) I wasn't about to contact that many people and I don't even know if I am serious about it.
Try getting her name, first. Have you talked to your dad about it? Maybe he would help?

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2006, 11:36 am

Endersdragon wrote:
...I am curious if anyone knows a way I can find out who she is without asking my dad (my mom told me so I dont even think my dad knows that I know.) Any suggestions would be nice.

PS she doesnt have my last name or anything like that and my dad signed away all rights to her when she was a baby (dont ask me why.)

When you say "find out who she is", do you mean find out her name? Or find out about her? Do you know her name? Are you in the states? (Sorry, I find these things hard to follow at times).

I am an adoptee and found my birthfamily pre-internet for the most part, now it can be easier.

You need to be sure you want to find her, and why.

Google is a fantastic resource, as are any of the people search sites (such as zabasearch). There are specific ones as well, if you happen to know the state you are looking in. Some of it is hit or miss. Some is just instinct I think.

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2006, 12:07 pm

I also recommend Google for lineal searches. Even if all you have is a last name.

I was lucky; my father told me early in my life that I had a half-brother and sister. I now live less than an hour's drive from Fred and regularly visit NYC to see Diana. Recently, I've come to have distaste for the "half" part. Far as I'm concerned, they're my brother and sister, even if I didn't grow up with them. That little change has made it easier for me to express my feelings to them.

You may have to ask your Dad. I know that seems hard, especially if he's not forthcoming with details. Could your Mom help?

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 1:32 pm

Okay I am just looking for her location and name (so no I dont know her name or her moms name (which is probably her last name) for that matter) I tried looking for my dads genology but I found someone with the same name insted (unless there are 2 other kids I dont know about lol though it still had no mention of me.) And I dont really want to talk to my dad about it because he never told me, so I dont think he really considers them that much (or maybe even know more then her name.)

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 2:10 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Well it should be want since I dont know if Im going to do it any time soon but anyway I recently found out that I have a half sister who I have never met (or even know existed) and I am curious if anyone knows a way I can find out who she is without asking my dad (my mom told me so I dont even think my dad knows that I know.) Any suggestions would be nice.

Did your father have her out of wedlock or was he married at the time? If he was married, he probably has records around the house like copies of divorce papers. In records like that the child's full name is usually in them. Depending on how bad a breakup it was, there should be some correspondence between your father and your half-sister's mother. They'll more than likely mention the child's name in the letters. One good way is to go to your father and tell him that you're having some relationship issues, and you need some advice. Ask about what relationships he's had in the past, and he could end up giving you some more information. Ask your grandparents if they're still alive or your aunts or uncles if you have any. Relatives will blab about anything.