23 Oct 2009, 4:52 am

Why, yes I am. Blunt that is.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 7:16 am

gbollard wrote:
I'm often blunt...

Now... Stop reading this and go see a doctor about your heart.

BTW: As yourself Left or Right side?
Have you done anything unusual in the last few days (gardening, picking children up etc) because it could be muscular.

Also .... Take an Aspirin (not other meds, a real Aspirin). If the pain goes away or diminishes a bit, then it's quite likely heart related. Don't muck around with it.

Thank You. I took an antacid and the pain went away we figured it was heart burn I guess. Although I do get these "shocks" from time to time anyway and the doctor dismissed it as an issue thanks again. :-)

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 7:52 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
I've had chest pain for about 2hrs. off/on and I asked my mom if it was my lungs or heart she said heart. (It's slight shocks I get occassionally that pass but tonight they aren't passing.) I said hopefully it's not the heart since I could die of a heart attack and not wake up. She said don't say that and I was too young for that (I'm 23). So fellow Aspies and others are you blunt (I guess you could call it honesty but it's not neccasarily about being honest but more "telling it as you see it etc." Another experience was when my sister fell being paralyzed was the first thought that crossed mind

haha, a perfect example of what I was saying a while back when you were concerned about your sister's responses to things you said to try to make her feel better. I'm EXACTLY the same way and will often say things like that. I've noticed my mom and stepdad do as well. I know my mom has AS, and stepdad... well, we both look at him and raise our eyebrows at times when he does things and says them.

I find it interesting how I'm like that to other people, and almost get frustrated if someone says something like "don't say that", because it's just simply the truth... a possibility, things that really DO happen to people and all.

Yesterday, my boyfriend was worried about my tubal ligation and the anesthesia process. I tried to reassure him, and after a while of that not working, I blurted out, "the worst that can happen is they give me too much and I die, and at that point it wouldn't be painful or anything because I'd already be asleep." I think that made him worry even more, but I was actually getting quite irritated by his... need to share his concerns after a while. I mean, I had to get it done for health reasons, and whatever was gonna happen was going to regardless whether or not we worried about it a ton ahead of time or not. He was really getting on my nerves.

Yet, he has a tendency to be very negative. For instance, he'll take a test in class (something he worries about VERY much beforehand and always calls about) and talk about how well he thought he did. Usually he thinks he failed immediately-it's almost always the first thing he said. I always try to reassure him that he knows what he is doing and most likely did just fine, but it's never enough and he will just get excessive with it.

I actually recently told him how much that bothers me to hear that all of the time. I mean, if I make a decision, he always plays devil's advocate and lists all the reasons for why it could be bad or what could go wrong and all as soon as I tell him. It drives me absolutely insane and makes me feel lousy! Especially when it takes me ages to make a decision to start with, lol, and it really bugs me when he does it while I'm trying to cheer him up, because about the only time I go out of my way to attempt to do that is when he is calling me to begin with because he needs cheering up (he tells me so I know when I answer, lol).

He's getting better about it, thank God, but I've also been giving him a lot of... well, I've been teasing a lot about it to try to get him to see how irritating it is. Or I should say, I was for a while after first telling him (about a week ago) how much it bugs me. He would say something like, "We should go out to eat on Thursday as a family," and I would respond, "yeah, that would be nice and all, but it'll probably be storming and right as we get to the place we would get zapped by lightning or something horrible would happen. I don't think we should make plans like that and get all happy about them when so many bad things could happen." Though my responses were quite extreme in comparison to his, he got the message after a bit, lol.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 9:11 am

The going out for dinner answer is priceless LOL!

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 9:16 am

Yep. I am usually very blunt.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2009, 8:40 am

I am not blunt. I try to be tactful.

shadfly
Raven
Raven

24 Oct 2009, 8:52 am

Like when I'm supposed to go: "oh my god is that ever nice i can't believe how good that looks on you where did you get that you look fabulous hey everyone come and look at her ain't she something?" but insted go: "oh yeah..."

Crypto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Oct 2009, 10:39 am

I have had to self police so that I am not so blunt, but it does still happen now and then, and has caused me too loose jobs or relationships.

I would be blunt all the time if social rejection wasn't an issue.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 12:27 pm

Woodpeace wrote:
I am not blunt. I try to be tactful.

I try to be too. My tact programming doesn't always work in real time thought. If I have time to prepare what i want to say, I can be quite tactful. If I'm expressing my thoughts on the fly, sometimes some very blunt statements can just pop out.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 10:29 pm

Yep. Same here. My bluntness is a result of impulsiveness. If I'm not irritated or upset by something I can be very tactful. If someone upsets me I am blunt with them and tell them exactly what they did, if it's someone I know and am not anxious around...like family. Lately, I have gotten better at calling and complaining if I get rude service somewhere. I had a couple of confrontations. One was at a place that fixed the windshield wiper on my car. That experience left me rattled. All I wanted was for them to install the part they ordered, but a few months had elapsed since they received it and I was waiting until I needed another oil change to get it installed. They were really super annoyed with me for waiting and told me they tried to call several times. I wasn't mad about it, I either wanted them to install it or give me a refund, that simple. They didn't see it that way and were acting like I was accusing them of ripping me off which was far from the case. I couldn't wait to get out of there, but, I had to wait until they changed the oil. They told me at the last minute they, magically, found the part and put it on the wiper but I doubt they really did.
A cashier was rude to me at a store and I called when I got home and complained about that. I'm the type of person who has put up with so much unwarranted rudeness from the human race, I won't hesitate to call and complain if a cashier or employee has been rude to me. There's not much I can do about other people. With an employee, you can report it.
So, generally, unless I am upset about something, I am a tactful person.
If someone is having a problem and asks my advice, I can be blunt then too.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 6:16 pm

Oh yes, bluntness and brutal honesty is my MO.

prism_tail_rainbows
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2009, 4:48 pm

i think i used to be, but upon realizing it i sort of turned it into a sense of humor--i mask natural bluntness with irony (which it often is) and that's my way of being funny. otherwise, i can't be genuinely blunt anymore because i fear backlash/ridicule or loss of friendship.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 2:53 am

Yes. My therapist once called me out for being so blunt and I just gave her an excruciatingly funny (I'd say so, anyway) blunt response.

Then fired her and got a new one. :lol: I win.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 3:21 am

as blunt as they come, when it comes to certain people

smokiethebear912
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2009, 7:28 pm

I am very blunt, which sometimes doesn't go over well. Most times people just assume I am kidding or trying to make a joke. e.g. Someone at work (one of the supervisors) was talking about how they arn't married and have no kids, but liked it as it means they have more disposable income to spend, and i was being quite serious when i said that maybe it was a sign no one could put up with them. Well someone else made a kind of joke comment like "tell us how you really feel" (which makes no sense cause i did just tell you how I really feel). At this point in life I could not give a damn about what people think about me.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 8:47 pm

Blunt is me. I have no couth and my wife says she can't take me anywhere.

ruveyn