Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 4:53 am

None of your damned business.

Just kidding. Yes I am.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 7:04 am

I don't bother "being polite" or any of that crap, I just say what I think. My mum then calls me rude and shouts at me for the millionth time for that day.

Ya know what? If I had £1 or everytime I was called rude by my mum (and she does use any excuse to do so, sometimes I think she makes rules up as she goes on just for the purpose of it), I would be a multimillionaire by now!

Carl_LaFong
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2010, 10:23 am

As far as blunt rudeness, I'm better than I used to be but will always have problems with it.

My bluntness has gone in phases. First it was n/a because I barely spoke, then as I started speaking (in my 20s) it went gradually from a little to very blunt. I got to the point of being overconfident and started offending people. Now I'm returning to a more quiet state, but with lots of experience of how not to behave, how not to speak.

But all it takes is not being mindful for a minute, then- oh crap! I do it again and say something rude, blunt, offensive.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 4:15 pm

gah. yes. I am paying for it right now, not sugar-coating things and being completely misunderstood. I am droll. I don't wish to be otherwise but I hate the way people take it sometimes.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 4:31 pm

yes, at times.
I am however, also VERY caring of people.

I am impulsive and outspoken and i can think aloud, and so I can be fairly unaware of the impact of my words. I know i have impaired ToM in this regard.
I also have a history of inappropriate over-disclosure, both in the public realm and private realm (distinctions I have difficulty with due to impaired ToM once again.)
Since being dx'ed I have been working on more appropriate disclosure.

But I know I am missing the secret ingredient that enables me to read the social exchanges accurately and with subtlety. Coupled with monologuing and a fascination with the expression of my own views, this leads to problems.....

Doomed to a life of bludgeoning verbosity.........

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 4:36 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
I don't bother "being polite" or any of that crap, I just say what I think. My mum then calls me rude and shouts at me for the millionth time for that day.

Ya know what? If I had £1 or everytime I was called rude by my mum (and she does use any excuse to do so, sometimes I think she makes rules up as she goes on just for the purpose of it), I would be a multimillionaire by now!

LOL! I get called a rude b***h by my mom more times than I can count LOL!

alana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 4:56 pm

millie wrote:
yes, at times.

I am impulsive and outspoken and i can think aloud, and so I can be fairly unaware of the impact of my words. I know i have impaired ToM in this regard.
I also have a history of inappropriate over-disclosure, both in the public realm and private realm (distinctions I have difficulty with due to impaired ToM once again.)

But I know I am missing the secret ingredient that enables me to read the social exchanges accurately and with subtlety. Coupled with monologuing and a fascination with the expression of my own views, this leads to problems.....

I looked up this 'impaired theory of mind'...sigh.

I have problems in this area and have all my life. Definitely 'inappropriate over-disclosure'. I tell on people. Gah. Once more way in which I am screwed up that there is a name for. thanks for the heads up.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 5:19 pm

alana wrote:
millie wrote:
yes, at times.

I looked up this 'impaired theory of mind'...sigh.

I have problems in this area and have all my life. Definitely 'inappropriate over-disclosure'. I tell on people. Gah. Once more way in which I am screwed up that there is a name for. thanks for the heads up.

well yes...it is a difficult one. good luck on your journey to greater self-awareness.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 8:38 pm

Yes, I can be blunt.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 8:46 pm

Probably...very likely, yes. I don't know how to beat around the bush.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 9:04 pm

I don't see how the things I say are blunt, but I have been told by friends that I am blunt. I can handle the basic social niceties and social white lies (like "I like your new hair-style"), but I think the area I have difficulty with is more in-depth interpersonal relationships. If I notice a problem, I will bring it up, and suggest a logical solution. Apparently some people don't want logic entering into their interpersonal relationships though. I actually had someone tell me, "You can't reason your way through everything!" I'm not really sure what else to do though.

In college I would make attempts at being "subtle" rather than straightforward, and my friends would *literally* laugh because my attempts were so transparent, so I've given that up.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 9:08 pm

Yes I am blunt!

I always say things as they always are --- or that I think they are. :(

Irishlass99
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2010, 9:41 pm

I've been known as a "bull in the china shop" since childhood, long before I was dxed!

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 10:20 am

I hate that I have to say Please after and before anything, that is blunt!

Last edited by Loborojo on 02 Jan 2010, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.