I have an average IQ, people say I'm smart but...

Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

In school were you under achieving or average student?
Underachieving 37%  37%  [ 26 ]
About average 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Overachieving (I'm just here to show off really) 23%  23%  [ 16 ]
Depended on the subject 32%  32%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 71

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2009, 8:27 pm

Callista wrote:
Whoops, just noticed you said this, horas, and I didn't respond--

Quote:
If not, then I assume you believe NLD IS "on the spec"
Yes, as far as I can tell, it seems to be the neurologist's version of what the psychologist sees when he looks at an autistic person, especially the Asperger's sort. Most cases are probably diagnosable as PDD-NOS or Asperger's (classic autism tends to involve higher performance IQ ability).

IQ can, roughly, predict someone's academic ability; but there are lots of other skills needed to succeed academically, and if you don't have them, you're screwed as far as school is concerned. Well, unless out of sheer luck, you have a whole team of people literally helping you through every hour of school. Which is what I have, and which is what lots of people need and don't get.

Yes...there is no doubt NLD has alot in common with AS. But there still seems to be many factors that distinguish the two disorders often enough.

http://www.nldline.com/yvonna.htm

I had no team assisting me at all when I was in school. My parents certainly weren't supportive, they believed I was just "lazy", "unmotivated", etc.....I didn't know what NLD really was until I was 28. I WAS told I had the characteristics of it when I was 23 though. I was tested by OVR at 23 and those who administred the test didn't bother to tell me anything about the disorder (though in fairness...I didn't bother to ask either) They just recommended therapy, certain vocational options, etc....At 28, another psych who tested me gave me a copy of Rourke's "Nonverbal Learning Disabilities, the Syndrome and Model". After reading that, alot of things fell into place, but countless questions remain unanswered to this day.