Do you need specific conditions to do hobbies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Do you need specific conditions to do hobbies?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 21 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 12:02 pm

I find I do. I love drawing, but one of the reasons I never do it is because I need a tidy desk, and proper lighting, solitude, tea, and the only time the living room table is perfectly alone is when everyone else is asleep.
also, i love RC, but i never do it because theres nowhere tidy and undisturbed to work on it, and outside the children come and ask questions, and i hate that.
same with homework.
i know some people who can do their interest anywhere, i dont know how! :P.

WritersBlock
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2009, 12:05 pm

I voted "yes" but only because my hobby requires specific tools, materials and equipment. Provided I could travel with those anywhere I could pro'ly do my hobby anywhere as well.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 12:07 pm

I like to play games on my computer when it's not having problems. ie getting close to maximum temperature. I do like to drive at maximum speed I can without speeding.

Sometimes I have to be "in the mood" to rear my now out of date study book...

Pernicious-Knid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Oct 2009, 12:15 pm

Yes, absolutely! I enjoy writing but I need it to be really quiet, which unfortunately doesn't happen too often in my building.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 12:26 pm

Yes, I quite often find it impossible to think deeply or pensively without full body movement, normally pacing, though oddly I can do it very easily if I'm a passenger in a car as well.

Most of my interests with computers, studying, games and reading require darkness or I get too distracted.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Oct 2009, 12:49 pm

I do. I need peace and quiet. Solitude. As few interruptions as possible. If I start a piece of writing in a certain mental state, I need to sustain that state of mind for the writing to flow. If I have to stop and start and stop and start, it shows and the writing sounds choppy, or the original voice or voices get lost or become changed. If I'm painting, I hate having to pack and un-pack my supplies, as I don't have a studio per se, and have to work on the dining table which needs to be cleared off at a certain time for dinner. I haven't painted for a long time because of this. I have a little house in the back yard, but it's too cold in the winter and also, it has become overtaken by mice. But that was an ideal place for me once and hopefully, I will be able to restore it. Needs electricity for light and heat. Needs renovations to keep the mice and insects out. I need to win the lottery. :lol: If I did, I would add a roof deck.

progressiverocker

29 Oct 2009, 12:57 pm

Yes. I used be extremely good at drawing. But the only place I could draw was at school in art class. Nice big tables with plenty of space and lighting. When I would take projects home I found it extremely hard to work on them because of the difference in conditions (my room had bad lighting, i had no table, i drew on my bed, which isn't even a flat surface).

I just don't have enough flat space to draw on anymore, so I don't draw. I was really really good too. I had a piece win a couple of state competition awards. It was setup in the local museum and later went to be displayed in Washington DC!

I won all the drawing awards every year for the high school art show too.

After high school, the hobby died completely.

Many times my hobbies were derailed due to inability to create certain working conditions. The "kitchen table" was the only table, and wasn't always available.

LivingOutsideTheBox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Oct 2009, 1:43 pm

I am both unable and unwilling to play MMO games with others watching. Same with most homework. The presence of other people in the background really REALLY messes up my thought process.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 2:35 pm

progressiverocker wrote:
Yes. I used be extremely good at drawing. But the only place I could draw was at school in art class. Nice big tables with plenty of space and lighting. When I would take projects home I found it extremely hard to work on them because of the difference in conditions (my room had bad lighting, i had no table, i drew on my bed, which isn't even a flat surface).

I just don't have enough flat space to draw on anymore, so I don't draw. I was really really good too. I had a piece win a couple of state competition awards. It was setup in the local museum and later went to be displayed in Washington DC!

I won all the drawing awards every year for the high school art show too.

After high school, the hobby died completely.

Many times my hobbies were derailed due to inability to create certain working conditions. The "kitchen table" was the only table, and wasn't always available.

wow. ive never had a school that hosted a competition, people know i am a good artist though. since i havent had time to practise, people are catching up to me. also, i cant keep concentration long enough to finish somethign truly hard. if i dotn finish it unhindered in one sitting (which CAN be 12 hours), it wont get finished.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 3:45 pm

I have several hobbies that I would do if it weren't for the anxiety I experience over being interrupted. the more interruptions that occur, the more likely I am to avoid my hobbies. I wish that wasn't the case, because I few weeks ago I was deep into a project that I've been unable to pick up since and I don't know when I'll be able to get back into the "groove".

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 4:32 pm

AMEN.
my parents dont seem to understadn how their coming in my room affects me

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 6:15 pm

WritersBlock wrote:
I voted "yes" but only because my hobby requires specific tools, materials and equipment. Provided I could travel with those anywhere I could pro'ly do my hobby anywhere as well.

What's your hobby? Mine is car modelling. I am currently waiting on material and parts to do a 1998 Civic Type R coupe

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 6:39 pm

I write and draw. But I need quiet and zero distractions. The only exception to that is sometimes I can play music while I draw.

progressiverocker

29 Oct 2009, 10:48 pm

Music is a necessity for me. I have music going all the time. I find I get lost in the music and it gives me a pace to keep going. Sometimes I realize I somehow missed the best part of the song (You know, that one really awesome 3 second exerpt) and I repeat the song. Then I realize that I missed it again, 3, maybe 4 times, playing the same song.

I don't pay attention to the music, my mind is focused on work/whatever. Really really helps me continue to roll. When my coworkers see my headphones on they know to leave me distraction free because I'm getting a huge quantity of work done in a very short period of time.

prism_tail_rainbows
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2009, 12:33 am

progressiverocker wrote:
Music is a necessity for me. I have music going all the time. I find I get lost in the music and it gives me a pace to keep going. Sometimes I realize I somehow missed the best part of the song (You know, that one really awesome 3 second exerpt) and I repeat the song. Then I realize that I missed it again, 3, maybe 4 times, playing the same song.

haha oh wow, i do this all the time.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 7:45 am

yeah. i find the only time i'm actually able to just THINK, is on a bus, watching the pictures, with music in my ears, inner-ear headphones to block out all outside noise....