Do you write down what you plan to spend in a month?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 5:53 pm

I like writing down what I plan on spending my money on. Sadly more so now than ever since I've gotten into $2000 in debt. :-( I asked my mom if she wanted to hear my list she said no. So I was thinking I wonder if any WP people do what I do almost on a weekly basis BTW LOL!

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 5:56 pm

I don't, but I probably should. I've never been in debt but I probably don't put enough thought into my purchases - if I want something I just buy it :?

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 6:00 pm

Absolutely! I am an obsessive planner. I have detailed a monthly budget and I write down and categorize each purchase I make. I also forcast up to a month in advance how much money I will have in my account at any given time to make sure I have enough to cover the bills.

In addition I have implemented a 2 year savings plan that tells me how much I should have in my account at the end of the month and takes into consideration things like tax returns and 'extra' paychecks.

I also have already planned out a Christmas present budget. How much money I will have at the time and how much I plan to spend on each person.

Yeah I'm nuts. But, you know what, it works. I am able to afford an expensive apartment and all my other bills on my lowly salary. Most people would not be able to live on their own on this amount of money because they are not as structured.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 7:21 pm

I have a list of what my husband and I spend on a monthly basis - it is called a budget.

Our budget includes mandatory household costs (e.g rent, heat/water, food, etc).

I don't necessarily itemize every single thing that I spend on my budget - say, $0.70 for toothpaste, $4.50 for a DVD rental, etc).

It is not necessarily unusual for you to itemize every thing - in fact, some people find this very educational and helps them stay within their budgets.