Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 6:46 pm

I still like Thomas the Tank Engine and I often repeat the same lines from it. I randomly make noises from it as well. I own many of the DVDs that I watch over and over again. Anyone else have interests that go back to childhood?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 8:56 pm

Cats-my constant throughout my life

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2017, 9:31 pm

When I was a child I liked to read comics, watch cartoons, building lego and invent things, also I liked to go on adventures with my brother exploring the big farm I grew up on. It was a bit like Calvin and Hobbes in a way, only I had a younger brother to play with instead of an imaginary stuffed toy tiger.

Today my interest is still mostly in the same categories I think. I read stuff, comics and manga and watch anime, but also books (sci-fi mostly) and instead of building Lego I play computer games and Minecraft. I also make stuff, like board games and virtual reality experiences and I draw things occasionally. I like to make and invent stuff. I have also always been interested in tech, science fiction stuff and robots that I read about in comics when I was young. I'm still interested in all that stuff today. So it was only natural for me to be interested in Virtual Reality once that became a practical reality a few years back. Now VR is probably my biggest interest, I spend a lot of time and money on that.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 9:41 pm

Firearms, still present to this day.

Trickpants
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Sep 2017, 9:44 pm

Funny, I was just about to post something similar to this. It's my first time in this forum, and I don't know if I actually have Asperher's or autism or anything. My psychologist is telling me to check it out - so if I seem ignorant of some things, it's probably because I am :lol:

Regarding childhood interests - then yes. Everything I do practically comes from something I found in childhood. I am studying to become a programmer - that interest came to me after my sister and I kept creating our own games when we were kids.

I write stories: When I was a child, my aunt wrote short stories for my sister and me; my mother read books for me, and I started getting into story-analysis and writing. It's stuck with me for my life.

But the biggest thing is probably TV-series and movies. There's something about movies and TV-series that I can't explain - it's like magic to me. I remember when I was 5 years old and watched "Watership Down" (TV-series) and "Redwall" for the first time. I remember all the feelings.
When with my sister, I can quote the entirety of The Lion King.
With new series, I quickly end up on the same level, of being able to quote it perfectly and remember small details that aren't of any real importance.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 9:46 pm

Encyclopaedias were a major childhood interest of mine, (I read a large, entire set several times) along with the natural world, critters of all kinds. The latter still is, with a particularly soft spot for cats which has been lifelong. Dogs too though not as intensely.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 9:59 pm

I meant more longstanding childish interests than just childhood. Such as an interest in Thomas the Tank Engine lasting well into adulthood.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 10:07 pm

Oh, I never been into children stuff. Always guns and cars.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 2:19 am

I don't know, some children's programmes I used to watch over 20 years ago seem really boring now, if I look them up on Youtube. It brings me that pleasurable nostalgic feeling, but most of those programmes that I once got entertained by so much now seem so predictable and repetitive.

But there are some childrens programmes that I don't find boring, like Arthur and Tom and Jerry. I even like the Tweenies, because, although it's aimed at preschoolers, it doesn't have too much repetitiveness. The only thing I skip on that is the singing.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 2:29 am

I used to be obsessed with Voltron in the 80s when it was on tv. Drove my twin sister crazy.

And now there's a new series of Voltron on Netflix! How cool is that, I can get obsessed again.

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

30 Sep 2017, 3:07 am

livingwithautism wrote:
I still like Thomas the Tank Engine and I often repeat the same lines from it. I randomly make noises from it as well. I own many of the DVDs that I watch over and over again. Anyone else have interests that go back to childhood?

This may sound weird but similar to your post, & here's my answer to your question. My only interests from childhood that I sometimes like to look back into is some other things from 90's Nick (sorta) but I don't repeat lines or make similar noises from the stuff.

Also I used to like Thomas the Tank Engine, it's probably a classic for some people who grew up with Thomas.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2017, 5:43 am

I have quite a few special interests that stayed with me throughout the years...

I've liked anime and manga ever since I was about 7, and that's probably the biggest interest that's stayed with me. Although I've now moved on from series such as Ojamajo Doremi, Pretty Cure and Bubu Chacha to series such as Steins;Gate, Love Live, and recently Fullmetal Alchemist (the manga). ^^

As for childhood series, a lot of the series that I used to enjoy watching when I was younger seem quite repetitive, slow-paced or asinine to me now. There are a few I still catch myself watching from time to time though.
One children's show in particular that's still a bit of a guilty pleasure for me is Rainbow. It stopped airing before I was born but I used to watch the tapes.
For those unfamiliar with it, it's British, and a bit like Sesame Street on a budget. It's all about a middle-aged man who has to put up with living in the same house as a whining big bear, a lisping hippo, and an annoying, loudmouthed orange zip-thing. There's also stories, songs and short animations in each episode too. It's every bit as weird as it sounds, and the over-the-top interaction between the characters is hilarious. Not to mention to me, it seems to have a charm about it that many kid's shows actually from my time (I was born in the late 90s) didn't.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2017, 6:30 am

I just liked drawing and collecting marvel cards, nothing too adventurous.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 7:16 am

Interesting topic.

I don't repeat lines from them nor watch them over and over, but I do like to see my childhood favorite series/movies again even now. I also enjoy rereading my fave books. I find that I tend to be right back where I was when I enjoyed them as a child, like Der kleine Vampir, Ruffen and The Famous Five.

As for childhood interests... I have always loved animals.

I have always been a bookworm, and I've always liked playing board/dice/card games. The specific games have changed over the years, but my interests in playing games has not. I've been into video games since I was 12, and electronic games since I was 10 or 11.
Quite a few of the books I read even now are teen books (mostly dystopian, paranormal and thrillers).

I have always been drawn to monsters and cryptozoology, and still am. I've always loved hearing about alleged true paranormal stories about cryptids, portals and ghosts.

I've also always been a horror fan.

So yeah, most of my interest have been with me at least partially for most of my life.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

30 Sep 2017, 4:33 pm

My biggest special interest during elementary school, ages 6-11, was Archie comic books. I stopped collecting them when I was about 13 and had over 700 comics. My I Love Lucy special interest had just started (which is one of my three biggest special interests ever), and I needed space and money for Lucy stuff, so I sold all of my comic books. Throughout the years, I always sort of regretted it. I really missed this really great story in one of my favorite Betty and Veronica double digests. I still remembered what the cover of the book looked like, but I didn't remember the number to look it up on eBay. I then finally found a site that listed all the covers and numbers of the past books and excitedly bought it on eBay. When it came in the mail and I read it, I remembered how great the stories were and wondered why I thought I stopped enjoying them when I was 13.

It turns out that I only stopped enjoying the NEW books, the ones that started coming out around 2001, when I stopped collecting and lost interest. This was because, unbeknownst to me, my favorite Archie artist, Dan DeCarlo, had died right around that time, and the art, which was always a big part of my special interest and enjoyment of the books, just wasn't as pretty anymore.

Anyway, after buying back that double digest, I got back into the special interest full force. I've bought back most of my favorites from my childhood, but I've mainly focused on issues pre-1995, ones I never had as a kid. (I started collecting in 1993.) I have worked hard on the collection, and I'm proud to say that of the first Betty and Veronica series, which ran from issues #1-347, I own all the issues from #114-347.

More importantly, season 1 of Riverdale debuted on the CW recently, and I absolutely love it! It has become a special interest, too, and it ties in with my enjoyment of the comics. It's nice to see the characters in more adult situations. Season 2 starts on October 11th, and I can't wait! :mrgreen: Veronica has always been my favorite character in the comics, and Veronica and Cheryl Blossom are my favorites on Riverdale.

In summary, I have kept many of my more childish special interests. I also still love all of my cartoon special interests of years gone by.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 6:24 pm

I find it hard to get completely bored with The Beatles. Daleks are still fun to a lesser degree, and the William Hartnell incarnation of the Doctor (didn't much like Troughton, loved Baker but I wasn't really a kid by that time). Supercar still interests me mildly and I might get the whole series one day, but I don't suppose I'll watch them more than once. It's hard for me to know how much of my interest is down to true ASD Special Interest and how much is that nostalgia thing that affects older people.