Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Nov 2009, 8:57 am

nettiespaghetti wrote:
I also read last night after posting this they people with capd or apd are terrible note takers.... bingo. I can't seem to listen, write, and keep listening at the same time.

! !! !! !! !!

School sucks

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Nov 2009, 9:03 am

Do you guys think it's okay to say, "I have auditory processing disorder/issues" when you've never been diagnosed? I mean, I think it's pretty obvious that everyone who has replied has it....

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 9:06 am

I tell people I will gladly listen to whatever they have or want to say, but they must first get my full attention! Beginning to say something to me while I am doing something else is a complete waste of time ... yet some people still sometimes try to just go on ahead and begin talking anyway ... and when they do that, I sometimes just let them jabber on until I am able to take a break from whatever else I am doing and listen, and then I tell them I am ready to listen and to please begin all over again. And then for me to ultimately comprehend something said to me, I first need to be told what is going to be said (like "I am going to say there is something wrong with the car"), and then for whatever is going to be said to actually be said (like "The car is making some strange noises and will not move"), and to then be told what has just been said (like "The car seems to be broken and I need to go somewhere") ... and if someone cannot do that, I just go back to whatever I was doing unless someone wants to begin all over again. Other than in some kind of emergency or highly-emotional situation, I do not consider it my responsibility to try to figure out what someone who is familiar with me is trying to say.

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Nov 2009, 9:07 am

sorry for all the double posts, I don't know why it's happening

Last edited by heliocopters on 06 Nov 2009, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2009, 9:16 am

Yep, i am a horrible note taker. I suck at multitasking.When i am trying to tell my mom something and the kids are loud nearby, i just have to yell and tell them to go in the other rom. I can't hear what I am saying and can't concentrate on what i am trying to get out. I think it is worse for me to talk and hear this noise than have someone talk to me and hear the same thing. Oh, and when someone talks to me, i have to look at their lips. I can listen better if i am matching their words to their lips. Weird. If i gazze at their eyes, i am almost lose my place at what they are saying so i have to jump back to looking at their lips.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 10:21 am

Not quite hear topic

My kids say it is the co-existing conditions of CAPD and dyspraxia that they have the problems with, not as much the more typical AS features (though they will complain that I am non-social on occasion. :roll:)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2009, 10:41 am

I was just remembering back (quite a while ago) when someone posted something about a sort of disorder where you put words in odd order when typing/speaking. I have to really watch myself that I don't put my sentences together so that it's harder to read or understand. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it, maybe something like "I'm going to the park today I think" instead of just saying "I think I'll go to the park today". I was just wondering if it's linked to CAPD... although I guess when it comes down to it it's all linked since it's all in how the mind is processing and relaying information. Just curious! I am still a bit surprised at how many others are like me, I never realized...kind of another revelation of "I'm not the only one" just like when I found out about AS.

JohnnyD017
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2009, 11:56 am

nettiespaghetti wrote:
I was just remembering back (quite a while ago) when someone posted something about a sort of disorder where you put words in odd order when typing/speaking. I have to really watch myself that I don't put my sentences together so that it's harder to read or understand. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it, maybe something like "I'm going to the park today I think" instead of just saying "I think I'll go to the park today". I was just wondering if it's linked to CAPD... although I guess when it comes down to it it's all linked since it's all in how the mind is processing and relaying information. Just curious! I am still a bit surprised at how many others are like me, I never realized...kind of another revelation of "I'm not the only one" just like when I found out about AS.

Yes! I always say things like that too. Its like i know what i want to say and its perfectly clear in my head but it always seems to come out the wrong way. I also try to change my sentence structure around in the middle of speaking sometimes. Very bad! Sometimes i wish people just could read it from my mind so i wouldnt look like such an idiot. I get tripped up a lot and get spoonerisms a lot, probably cos i am still analysing the rest of the sentence while i am still speaking. Do you do that too? I dont feel comfortable speaking because of it. :(

On my diagnosis it said auditory decoding deficit "can be associated with a weakness in literary and language skills" Dunno what that means exactly. But there are 2 subtypes of CAPD more related to language, called associative and organisational/output deficits. I think i read that AO/OD has a strong relation to ADHD, while associative can be related to working auditory memory, a subtype sometimes called "tolerance fading memory". No idea how youd get those things tested though! Auditory associative is apparently in the same part of the brain as auditory decoding (left) so its possible they are more closely related than the others? Who knows!

Before someone asks, no, CAP is not my special area of interest, i just happen to have studied a lot about it since my diagnosis :lol:

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Nov 2009, 12:58 pm

nettiespaghetti wrote:

This happens to me all the time, too. Once in high school someone told me that in order to speak to me it was like having to learn a different language. Sometimes I feel like Yoda. I had to meet with my Astronomy professor at the beginning of the semester and he asked me why I chose to take astronomy, and I said, "As much as I find science fascinating I'm really horrible at it," when I OBVIOUSLY meant: "As horrible as I am at science I find it really fascinating." Sheesh! And yesterday I was talking to the man who owns the local natural food store and I was carrying some drawings I had to bring to the studio and he asked me if I made the paper and I said, "no, I made what's in the paper, though," and he said, "you mean 'on the paper'?" and I said, "yes...on...in, those two words are interchangeable in the English language." :roll: I thought everyone knew that.

saywhatyamean
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2009, 11:20 pm

Is it just me or do people on this forum just want to talk about their issues or problems. Identify that other people on this forum or other ASDians have the same problem's then go on with their lives. From where I sit very few people ever seem interested in trying to solve, remedy or work through the said problem. I am not trying to incite anger from people, just pointing out a general trend I think I have identified.

To the single person who did actually put their feelers out to try and identify a remedy to their CAPD. As far as diagnosis goes in this country (Australia) CAPD is very controvercial in mainstream medicine. Sorry folks as real as the CAPD is to you most mainstream practitioners will not hear of it. If people are interested in DX they would need to identify an Audiologist who advertises or is known by word of mouth to have expertise in DXing people with this issue. My first port of call would be organisations who deal with ASDian children or perhaps there's an Audiologist registration body that could help. Here the cost of DX is substantial and it is in no way covered by Medicare or health insurance............or my health insurance anyway

As far as treatment goes I have had success with my 2 DXed ASDian sons with Samonas sound therapy and a computer game called Earobics. However the mechanics of all of this may be totally different with adults than it is for young children so some expert advice could be fruitful.

Hope this helps.

JohnnyD017
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2009, 11:53 pm

saywhatyamean wrote:
Is it just me or do people on this forum just want to talk about their issues or problems. Identify that other people on this forum or other ASDians have the same problem's then go on with their lives. From where I sit very few people ever seem interested in trying to solve, remedy or work through the said problem. I am not trying to incite anger from people, just pointing out a general trend I think I have identified.

To the single person who did actually put their feelers out to try and identify a remedy to their CAPD. As far as diagnosis goes in this country (Australia) CAPD is very controvercial in mainstream medicine. Sorry folks as real as the CAPD is to you most mainstream practitioners will not hear of it. If people are interested in DX they would need to identify an Audiologist who advertises or is known by word of mouth to have expertise in DXing people with this issue. My first port of call would be organisations who deal with ASDian children or perhaps there's an Audiologist registration body that could help. Here the cost of DX is substantial and it is in no way covered by Medicare or health insurance............or my health insurance anyway

As far as treatment goes I have had success with my 2 DXed ASDian sons with Samonas sound therapy and a computer game called Earobics. However the mechanics of all of this may be totally different with adults than it is for young children so some expert advice could be fruitful.

Hope this helps.

I thought talking about issues and problems was the only thing people with AS did? Thats the stereotype anyway. :(

CAPD is a relatively new thing so many doctors may not have studied it but a lot now admit problems in auditory processing can exist and they are more open to it. The place I was tested at was in Ashmore in Queensland, and they seemed to know a lot about it.

The site I gave a few posts back had some possible help and treatments on it. Mostly for children though. Generally if you're diagnosed with any in-brain problem in adulthood its already too late. Yes, you can improve your skill or take drugs but it can be extremely difficult.

Sometimes just knowing what the problem is is enough to help. You have something you can point to and tell people so they know that your hearing problem isnt just you 'not paying attention' and you can be aware of your difficulties and avoid certain situations.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

07 Nov 2009, 12:13 am

I used to think my difficulties arose from not paying proper attention to what is being said, however I can be completely focused on the person talking and still not comprehend what is being said. This is most noticeable for me at work. My coworkers are convinced I am going deaf. I had my hearing tested a few years back and it came back well within normal ranges. My hearing is actually incredibly sensitive, I can hear sounds no one else seems to and I have to wear earplugs to drown out noises at night. I have tried explaining to people that I can hear them talking, its just that I have difficulty forming words out of the sounds I hear... I do do better when lip reading.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 2:32 am

It has caused me extreme problems my whole life..
I identified that I had some sort of auditory processing difficulty long before I ever knew that such a thing existed conventionally....It is part of what I had previously perceived to be part of the "brain damage" I's always thought I had......but it was a long time before i ever identified that it was one of my underlying problems. I can hear really small noises from very far away that many would not pick up on...but I am perpetually mis-hearing what people say...and I have to sometimes dicipher it like a puzzle in order to identify what they have just said to me.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2009, 10:40 am

88BK wrote:
i can hear only one thing at a time.

i can not watch tv and have a conversation, or even be asked a question. i think i am sometimes seen as rude because of this, it seems it is the usual thing to be able to audibly-multi-task.

if someone continually tries to talk to me while i am engaged in something to the point where i can not zone them out, i may snap at them.

trying to listen to two things at once feels like there is a sword fight going on in my mind and instead of words i just hear the 'clang clang' of swords and it is painful.

Well said!

If I'm in a noisy environment, I tend to shut down and not be able to "hear" the person talking to me. It's just one more layer of noise I can't filter. I use headphones at work, with white noise playing, and this helps mask other sounds to a point where i can think.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

07 Nov 2009, 2:10 pm

I don't use the phone for important or official things for this very reason. As soon as they finish saying something, it's out of my head completely.

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2009, 9:16 pm

JohnnyD017 wrote:
This site has some good info on APD. http://www.auditoryprocessing.com.au/

This page has info on the types and where the damage in the brain is. http://www.angelfire.com/bc2/capd5/

Very interesting sites. I am good at spelling at least :) I think I seem to have output organizational deficit as well as auditory associative deficite. I think I'll mention it on my next visit.