Do you talk about your obsessions and don't even realize it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

07 Nov 2009, 2:58 pm

My husband says I talk about them all the time, everyday. 8O

Not just Benny & Joon but about autism, emotional disorders, other conditions. But luckily I don't ramble on about them. How could I have been so unaware?

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 3:42 pm

I'm well aware that I will talk about cats to anyone who will listen :wink:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 5:00 pm

If I don't run across anyone to prattle to about a special interest on any given day (or within any given 4-6 hour period), I'll have an imaginary conversation with myself about one of them. :D

The voice in my head almost never shuts up and has to be frequently externalized to keep my skull from exploding. 8O

That was a metaphor not to be taken literally. :tongue:

I do not hear voices, nor do I experience any actual physical pressure inside my head. :scratch:

Except after too much drinking. :drunken:

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2009, 5:28 pm

i can't say, as no one will talk to me these days :wink:

so....i guess that's a big yes

argh.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 5:42 pm

I'm usually aware when I talk about SpongeBob, but it has been commented that I talk about other stuff like Nickelodeon a lot. :?

SpongeBobRocksMao!

wormsto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2009, 5:53 pm

yes. constantly.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 6:27 pm

Willard wrote:
I do not hear voices, nor do I experience any actual physical pressure inside my head. :scratch:

Except after too much drinking. :drunken:

:lmao:

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 6:31 pm

I used to not control myself, but after a couple of very bad incidents I've learned to somewhat control myself. Sometimes I still find myself trying to channel a conversation towards my special interest, if the topic of the conversation is close enough to it.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 6:59 pm

I used to not be able to shut up about birds... but I have learned to mostly control myself.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 12:53 am

I will talk about this stuff to anyone who will listen....but at the same time as of late I keep my mouth shut a lot cause I know most folks my age don't care about toys, economics, or history...'specially not to the extent I do.

JohnnyD017
Raven
Raven

08 Nov 2009, 1:57 am

Yes and no.

Normally i dont talk about much or i talk about whatever the other person is into. eg. Ill talk about movies a bit but only to the guy i know whos really into movies. And video games to someone whos into games. But i wont even mention these to someone unless they show interest first. If another guy is talking about cars or something that i know nothing about ill shut up and wont add anything. I used to steer conversations a little bit but only subtly and if it didnt work out i stopped trying it.

Sometimes if something is really bothering me i might talk about it too much. I think im just someone who has difficulty moving on until the thing is resolved. The 'squeaky wheel' and all that!

My opinion is EVERYONE talks about the stuff that interests them as much as possible, its not just us. Like they say in Fight Club, most people dont really listen, they're just waiting for their turn to speak. The only difference with AS people is they cant tell very well when someone stops being interested. If someone NT keeps talking they may be able to tell but just consciously ignore the signs.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 3:28 pm

I've learned to control myself, but I have an aspie coworker who hasn't. He goes on and on about his interests (mainly video games) Constantly tries to talk with me or our job-coaches about it. I constantly try to tell him that other people may not be as interested in his new game as he is but he doesn't get it. :roll:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 9:09 pm

I know when I'm talking about them; and I know how much of my conversation is taken up by them. :) If people are bored by it, they can go talk to someone else. Noone is forcing them to listen to me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I