Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 4:57 pm

double post

Last edited by Guitar_Girl on 12 Oct 2010, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 4:58 pm

I am slower than most people in school. I have accommodations to go to seperate rooms to take tests. There are less distractions and I have extra time. It also takes me awhile to understand what Im learning in school, particularly math.

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2010, 7:32 pm

I am always last and I almost always get to work late as well as leave from work late. I'll be late for my own funeral

bggallag
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2010, 7:45 pm

What do you mean by double post? Just curious.

A social for Annapolis, MD area adults with Asperger's. The social meets on the last Friday of the month. (21 years of age and older). Cards & board games &snacks. More info on fb page. http://www.facebook.com/Annapolis.Adults.Aspergers

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 7:57 pm

marshall wrote:
Perhaps I should clarify.

I was mainly wondering if other people on here can relate to being intellectually gifted in some area yet feeling "slow" in certain ways. I've never been able to move quickly or "think on my feet". I always feel like I'm slower and more disorganized/discombobulated when I'm in a rush. Other people are more "on the ball" than I am.

I think what you're talking about is related to cognitive and executive functioning. I have moments of blistering speed compared to others around me, but most of the time I'm totally lost while others seem to keep a fairly quick and very steady pace in comparison.

I'm pretty sure now that my slowness is often mistaken for obsession. It can take me so long to accomplish some long term things the amount of time spent getting it done can be seen as inordinate obsession. Really it just takes me that long to get it done correctly.

Yeah. I'm slower than death at most things.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 8:24 pm

MrXxx wrote:
marshall wrote:

I was mainly wondering if other people on here can relate to being intellectually gifted in some area yet feeling "slow" in certain ways. I've never been able to move quickly or "think on my feet". I always feel like I'm slower and more disorganized/discombobulated when I'm in a rush. Other people are more "on the ball" than I am.

I think what you're talking about is related to cognitive and executive functioning. I have moments of blistering speed compared to others around me, but most of the time I'm totally lost while others seem to keep a fairly quick and very steady pace in comparison.

I'm pretty sure now that my slowness is often mistaken for obsession. It can take me so long to accomplish some long term things the amount of time spent getting it done can be seen as inordinate obsession. Really it just takes me that long to get it done correctly.

Yeah. I'm slower than death at most things.

I have a need to do things more carefully and deliberately than most people. I can force myself to rush like everyone else for short periods but I can't keep that kind of pace for long. It's just too tiring. I also have to focus 100% on the task at hand or I'll absent mindedly slip up on something. Of course having to focus 100% on something menial and tedious is torture. My one consolation is that I tend to think of tasks that I'm "slow" at are menial things that a robot or computer could do. Once somebody gives me something that requires higher level thought and/or creative thinking they will see my intelligence. I just don't make a very good "service sector" drone worker.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 9:18 pm

marshall wrote:
I have a need to do things more carefully and deliberately than most people. I can force myself to rush like everyone else for short periods but I can't keep that kind of pace for long. It's just too tiring. I also have to focus 100% on the task at hand or I'll absent mindedly slip up on something. Of course having to focus 100% on something menial and tedious is torture. My one consolation is that I tend to think of tasks that I'm "slow" at are menial things that a robot or computer could do. Once somebody gives me something that requires higher level thought and/or creative thinking they will see my intelligence. I just don't make a very good "service sector" drone worker.

I can relate to pretty much all that.

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2010, 5:39 am

Sometimes. My parents thought I would never grow out on some of the things I did that as a kid. For ex, I was late then all the other kids on knowing how to tie a shoe. It wasn't until in the middle of first grade I was able to accomplish that. Right now, I seem to be at the same pace as everyone else. Sort of :oops:

roseblood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2010, 6:40 am

marshall wrote:

Yes I can relate very much to your first paragraph. Always the last dressed in PE or swimming classes, always the last to finish filling out a questionnaire, always the last to finish most kinds of academic work (except those that I'm gifted with AND which didn't ask for much organised thought or planning at all, such as translating), and always the last to finish almost any manual task however simple or mundane. All I am diagnosed with at the moment is AD/HD Inattentive Type and wonder if that is a contributing factor, however it seems online that most people diagnosed with the same don't experience this in such a broad range of activities and to a greatly impairing degree.

Perhaps it is a mixture of the specific cognitive deficits associated with AD/HD that make organised thought and sequences difficult, some mild dyspraxia, poor procedural memory (learning how to do things automatically as opposed to learning facts - so I have to keep thinking about every step and what comes next instead of just doing it), and maybe other things I don't know about. In other words maybe people like you and me have particular unlucky combinations of issues that together produce pervasive slowness, which along with underqualification and inexperience is the main reason for my employment problems. I work in a call centre at the moment and I'm slow with the data entry aspect even though I'm quite a fast typist because I keep having to check I've not forgotten anything or done anything wrong - otherwise I would always be making mistakes - but I am slow at everything except dictated typing as I said, of which there isn't much to do anyway, and speaking, which I often do too fast, so it's the one job I've had and can think of in which being so slow isn't a major problem.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 1:18 pm

Usually. I have to do things slowly and deliberately, dressing in particular. And I need to plan everything in a specific order, I just don't think and do things from scratch.

Chip2001

13 Oct 2010, 5:43 pm

WIth things like running and buttoning buttons and shoe-tying I am. But i am quicker than others at other things

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 7:08 pm

I'm slow just about everywhere.

Even writing responses on here require a huge amount of thought.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 8:16 pm

Quite the contrary. I tend to be faster than others.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 8:40 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Quite the contrary. I tend to be faster than others.

Well lucky you. Maybe you don't even have autism.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 10:24 pm

I am doing botanical work at the moment, and I am slow, clumsy and get very very mentally tired doing it. It sucks. Sometimes I would give anything to be one of those people who are good with their hands. It would make me far more employable.

Taking a break.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2010, 10:35 pm

Physically slow - Yes. It's rare when there's someone who's capable of moving slower. I tend to walk as fast as I can most of the time to keep up with my long-legged friends. XD

Mentally slow - Sometimes. This is only when I'm not really paying attention though so that's my fault. Unless it's timed writings. Even though I'm a writing major, I still struggle with these. Why do you have to rush me? If you rush me, you're going to get a crappy product. So give us a few more minutes or assign it as homework and everyone will benefit. Timing how fast I can write stuff down won't make me a better writer. I like to plan my stuff out. It turns out better that way. Oh well. :/