Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

primadonna28
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2009, 2:23 pm

Hi,
Something I do extremely often is, after reading/speaking/hearing a word, I will write the word with my finger in the air. If I don't do this I get very anxious. Does anyone have anything to say about this? Is it a stim?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 2:26 pm

primadonna28 wrote:
Hi,
Something I do extremely often is, after reading/speaking/hearing a word, I will write the word with my finger in the air. If I don't do this I get very anxious. Does anyone have anything to say about this? Is it a stim?

I've done that before as a child. Not recently, though.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 2:30 pm

IDK it's sounds kind of OCD to me. I think of stims a being a series of repetitive actions.

boredcrab
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2009, 2:32 pm

i do this sometimes when i'm anxious or worried. i'll write in the air, sometimes on my pants with my finger.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 2:39 pm

I used to do this quite a lot. I still do it sometimes.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Nov 2009, 7:11 pm

I know this will sound very odd, but I write letters with my eyes and without moving my head. My eyes move in the shapes of the letters. It would be hard to explain. The simplest letter to explain would be "O" - move my eyes in circular motion, "L" from up to down then to the right. I guess I write them in the air or in my mind. Don't know how to explain that.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Nov 2009, 7:12 pm

Sorry, somehow quoted myself. First I thought there was someone with the same avatar as me. :roll:

Last edited by cosmiccat on 16 Nov 2009, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 7:30 pm

primadonna28 wrote:
Hi,

The part that I put in bold is what makes me think it sounds more like an OCD behavior. Then again, I'm not sure how stims compare to that, so maybe it's a stim.

When I saw the title of your post, I wondered if you were going to be talking about what I do, which is to write the word in the air if someone asks how to spell something. I can't just say or visualize how to spell something; I have to physically spell it out with my finger. My finger automatically "knows".

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 1:42 pm

primadonna28 wrote:
Hi,

No, but when I prepare for an exam or revise, I go over the material and try to memorise the material by writing it repeatedly. It works (at least for me). Sometimes if I don't have paper or a pencil, I'd just write in the air or against a hard surface.