Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2010, 11:26 am

I'm an aspie that loves her books and I'm going to my favorite new book store in two days. I want to buy a book on aspies in dating/building friendships. I've bought books before on the subject and was terribly disappointed because it was more of a guide for how NTs can deal with aspies instead of a guide for aspies on dating NTs. Do any fellow aspies know a good author that can actually do that?

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 12:17 pm

I love books too and love walking around the big book stores even if I don't buy any books.

Since learning about my AS I have been an avid collector of AS books.

I have 16 now, including Tony Attwood's Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome and Kathy Hoopman's 'Asperger Adventure' books.

I have a wonderful NT wife so I bought 2 books on relationships.

Alone Together; by Katrin Bentley

Asperger Syndrome - a love story; by Sarah Hendrickx and Keith Newton

Both books have a foreward section written by Tony Attwood.

Enjoy

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2010, 12:29 pm

Yes! Some books that are useful! Horrah!

I find it funny that I have to buy an instruction manual for dating though. lol.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 12:37 pm

SplinterStar wrote:
Yes! Some books that are useful! Horrah!

I find it funny that I have to buy an instruction manual for dating though. lol.

I find it funny that I have been evaluated as intellectually 'gifted' and yet I am socially impaired, requiring guidebooks for what NTs do without thinking! :lol:

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 1:14 pm

I love books and libraries and bookstores, too. I could be there all day, and I still would never get tired. Quite the contrary.

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 1:59 pm

Autistics' Guide to Dating: A Book by Autistics, for Autistics and Those Who Love Them or Who Are in Love with Them:
LINK

Product Description:
For people on the autism spectrum dating is so often an elusive art form, requiring the very skills - in communication, in social perception - that don't come naturally to them. This book presents strategies for overcoming social skills deficits and sensory issues, to make for relationship success.Emilia Murry Ramey and Jody John Ramey, both on the spectrum, reflect on their dating experiences and provide recommendations for relationships in both the short- and long-term. Their advice includes how to choose venues for meeting people that are free from discomfiting features; coping with typical experiences such as close proximity with a partner, eye-contact, and physical intimacy, in the light of sensory issues; and moving on to extended, committed relationships, co-habiting and continuing to date after marriage.Through, accessible, and very encouraging, this book is a must-read for autistic people, those who love them, and those who are in love with them.

http://www.autscape.org/

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 12:25 pm

I like books, but will soon be moving to ebooks on the iPad :D

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 1:03 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
I like books, but will soon be moving to ebooks on the iPad :D

Ipads are the perfect gadget for book lovers.

Unfortunately I can't read books on screen. Partly due to my age (no spellchecker so we used real dictionaries to check words and NO computers), the fact that I am a kinesthetic processor and probably something from AS :roll:

I get newsletters by email that I have to print out to read.

I also write articles for publication from time to time and I have the same constraints.

I write a first draft but I can't edit on screen so I have to print it out, walk around with it, with a pen and a highlighter and then make on-screen changes from my hard copy notes!

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 1:12 pm

I think there's something in holding the book and turning the pages. I can read it on a screen, but it's not the same.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 1:28 pm

persian85033 wrote:
I think there's something in holding the book and turning the pages. I can read it on a screen, but it's not the same.

There is something very personal about reading a book in my hands, even though it is an inanimate object.

I love the smell of books too. The new ones are so fresh and the pages so crisp.

The old ones are time machines to another era and evoke memories of time spent in libraries as a child.

They also provide a wonderful kaleidoscope (I had to check the spelling) of reds, browns, yellows and orange.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 5:54 am

persian85033 wrote:

But you can turn the pages on the iPad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPi7mcqZeUE