Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 10:23 pm

I have a brother , whom I don't think I've ever even mentioned , who is both ret*d and autistic (mildly in both cases) - he's " ALWAYS " been that way , I was only DX'd Aspie in my 40s , he lives in a - seriously - very nice group home back in New York State .
I have meant to mention how that's affected me , but...
Anyway , calling him today , a staff member said that he now uses a walker , at times , to walk :( . He presented it in an optimistic manner , as in " He only needs it occasionally " :cry: .
I haven't been able to , physically , see him in 12 YEARS :cry: :cry: ...

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 10:33 pm

:(

Is there any way you could visit him? Or are you actually asking for encouragement?

Juan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2009, 10:43 pm

Maybe you should visit him.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2009, 10:54 pm

NY is a long way from NY but if you get a chance you should visit. If that is not possible in the near future, you can see if they can set up a skype video call.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 8:00 am

It may be good for you to see him, and it may be good for him to see you. Consider visiting if possible, or skyping as Oregon said.

Please say more about this, if you feel ok with saying more.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 9:03 am

Oregon wrote:
NY is a long way from NY but if you get a chance you should visit. If that is not possible in the near future, you can see if they can set up a skype video call.

New York State is NOT that far to travel across the USA in the Jet Age...so many people travel by plane just to spend Thanksgiving Day with family.

New York State takes excellent care of its ret*d and autistic individuals so, your brother has been well cared for. However, I
bet he misses you in your long absences from him. In the movie, "Rain Man," the main idea that was played out was how no one
ever told Tom Cruise's character, Charlie Babbit that he had a brother...

In the original plan to "kidnap" his brother for his share of the inheritance his father left entirely for Raymond's care at Walbrook,
Charlie Babbit used the time to get to know his brother. Don't you ever have the feeling of wanting to know your brother just a little better? He will not live forever and someday, it will be too late to share a moment of life together <tear>.