Mathematical and memorization intuition

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 5:45 pm

It seems my mathematical intuition is much better than my people intuition. I can count many objects (such handfuls and handfuls of mixed change) within a matter of seconds and be accurate within 1-3 cents, can do square roots of large numbers within a couple seconds and be accurate to the tenth position (decimal), instantly create algebraic graphs in my head ect. I also have memorization intuition. If I don't use the memorization intuition, I get the question wrong. Since many questions on my tests now are on subtle nuances, I basically remember exact phrases, word for word. However, someone can send me subtle hints all day and I will never get what the problem is until he or she tells me. I don't grasp it intuitively like I do math or memorization. Is this at all related to autism?

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 6:18 pm

Yes, definitely. Because all people on the spectrum have a deficient theory of mind, they can be instead talented in either academics or arts. It's just a very unequal distribution of skills.

I can identify with you on this.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 8:49 pm

Sound like savant skill... How good are you understanding advanced mathematics?

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 9:50 pm

That sounds very much like myself. I also have savant language skills (hyperlexia).

I actually have a weird, related skill with psychology. I'm training to be a psychologist and I am very skilled at identifying symptoms, but at the same time I will miss massive things in my normal interpersonal communication. I suppose it is because when I am diagnosing a person it's like I am sorting them or identifying technical issues.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 10:09 pm

@Aurore If I remenber well you're were tested to...well... 195 IQ. It is "normal" then to be a very precocious reader... So how can you know it's hyperlexia?

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2009, 10:12 pm

I can identify with you on this, as well, since my talents, too, are math/abstract reasoning and memorization. I hope that you are able to use your skills to develop a successful career. May I ask what you are studying?

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 10:18 pm

Tollorin wrote:
@Aurore If I remenber well you're were tested to...well... 195 IQ. It is "normal" then to be a very precocious reader... So how can you know it's hyperlexia?

That's a good question. I say hyperlexia because that's what my pediatrician told my parents I had. (Also I seriously have doubts that my IQ score was all that accurate, especially since in the last year I was tested again and scored much lower.)

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 2:14 pm

Tollorin wrote:

Square roots to 10 decimal places............I would call that very ****ing advanced maths :!:

:?

TheMysteriousOne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2009, 7:50 pm

timeisdead wrote:
It seems my mathematical intuition is much better than my people intuition. I can count many objects (such handfuls and handfuls of mixed change) within a matter of seconds and be accurate within 1-3 cents, can do square roots of large numbers within a couple seconds and be accurate to the tenth position (decimal), instantly create algebraic graphs in my head ect. I also have memorization intuition. If I don't use the memorization intuition, I get the question wrong. Since many questions on my tests now are on subtle nuances, I basically remember exact phrases, word for word. However, someone can send me subtle hints all day and I will never get what the problem is until he or she tells me. I don't grasp it intuitively like I do math or memorization. Is this at all related to autism?

Wow the most impressive thing I did with math was teach myself some basic calculus in 8th grade when I was bored with my Algebra I class. I memorized some square roots to a few places and pi to about 15 places.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 8:23 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

Square roots to 10 decimal places............I would call that very ****ing advanced maths :!:

:?

It's not beyond the grasp of a good calculator... When i talk about "advanced mathematics" I talk about more abstract stuff like calculus and the things a computer can't grasp. Can someone with savant math skills can be good with highly abstarct math? That's what I want to know.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 8:28 pm

TheMysteriousOne wrote:
timeisdead wrote:

Wow the most impressive thing I did with math was teach myself some basic calculus in 8th grade when I was bored with my Algebra I class. I memorized some square roots to a few places and pi to about 15 places.

Learning calculus by himself in 8th grade is impressive. I'm 27 and I still can't do integrals. :(

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 6:48 am

@Aurore: if you have an high IQ actually it's probably not hyperlexia because to be hyperlexy you must read WITHOUT understanding. As for the IQ test I think is normal, I got tested at 8 years old and scored with a mental age of 18 years (If you compute the IQ it means (8/18 )*100 = 225). Now I have 27 years and my IQ is somewhere between 150 and 160, still very high, but far less than when I was young. I simply develope my logic early.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 10:18 am

The problem is that there are two totally different "philosophies" of IQ.

There is one IQ that is [mental age]/[real age]*100

There is other IQ that is a normalized number with average 100 and standar deviation of 15.

According to the second formula, i am sure than no one has an IQ of 225 and I am much doubt of any IQ of 195 (an IQ of 195 means that you are more inteligent than 99,999999988% of the population; with a world population of 6.000 millions there is probably one person in Earth with this IQ)

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 1:12 pm

@Nightsun: Most IQ tests can only goe as far as 150-160. So it could be that you're only "hit the roof" with you're later results.

TPE2 wrote:
The problem is that there are two totally different "philosophies" of IQ.

There is one IQ that is [mental age]/[real age]*100

There is other IQ that is a normalized number with average 100 and standar deviation of 15.

According to the second formula, i am sure than no one has an IQ of 225 and I am much doubt of any IQ of 195 (an IQ of 195 means that you are more inteligent than 99,999999988% of the population; with a world population of 6.000 millions there is probably one person in Earth with this IQ)

There are some people that score beyond 200IQ. Maybe the statistics are not reliable with scores that high. This is about impossible to normalize and maybe the Gauss curve don't apply perfectly to intelligence.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 2:19 pm

IQ tests also vary on the level of other types of thought they score.

An example I saw pointed out in a magazine last night was fascinating.

A baseball bat and ball cost $1.10 together.
The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball, how much is the ball?

or

George is looking at Jane, Jane is looking at Michael.
George is married, Michael is unmarried.
Is a married person looking at an unmarried person?

a) yes b) no c) not enough information

Though my favorite is the card rule.

[A] [K] [8] [5]

These are cards from a deck with a specific set of rules.
There is an even number on the back of any card with a vowel on it.

Which card/s must you flip to determine if this is true?

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 2:26 pm

Aurore wrote:
That sounds very much like myself. I also have savant language skills (hyperlexia).

I actually have a weird, related skill with psychology. I'm training to be a psychologist and I am very skilled at identifying symptoms, but at the same time I will miss massive things in my normal interpersonal communication. I suppose it is because when I am diagnosing a person it's like I am sorting them or identifying technical issues.

This is a little like me. I can theorize very well and elaborately about communication, relationships and motivations, but when I am actually in the situation, I can't follow people. Other people are processing their social clues and interactions intuitively, so quickly on a subconscious level that they don't even realize that they are doing it, while I'm having to try and process them logically, which takes considerably longer, and by the time I have halfway processed one thing, the interaction has moved on, and I'm lost again.