27 Nov 2009, 2:35 am

I was/am happy to not be like the others and strong willed enough not to change

Juan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2009, 10:41 pm

richardbenson wrote:
alcohol cures EVERYTHING. :wink:

but in all seriousness im more indifferent about serious paraniod disorders, and depersonalization disorders

I'm sorry, but I don't think so.
Alcohol or other drugs that can anaesthetize you nerve in fact have some outer impact on your nerve that are not the original situation of your body.
You may feel happy when you drink wine, but after the alcohol been degraded you may be the original upset person again.
And you can't have alcohol all the time.
So the most important thing is to change from inside which will give you persistant changes.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 10:44 pm

I haven't known any different, so I haven't gained or lost anything. Even if I did lose something, it wouldn't bother me, as thems the breaks.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 11:04 pm

Callista wrote:
It sounds kind of like escapism to me, not wanting to deal with the reality that you do in fact have AS... focusing on being someone else instead of yourself, instead of trying to make the world work for you the way you are. But you were a kid; you really can't be blamed, especially not with the extremely negative perception the world has of disability.

I meant the other way around.. I'm still not diagnosed. :oops: So I guess it could be the way I thought it was then, that it was me, just something wrong with me, that I'm bad and don't have a disorder to blame it on. Well, something is wrong with me. Everyone has always known something was wrong with me, and nobody could ever figure out what. Easier to say "everyone hates me because I don't have social skills" or "everyone hates me because I have AS" than "everyone hates me because I'm me." If they were all disgusted with me because I had a disorder, isn't that less upsetting than just thinking about the way they'd spit out my name like I were the most disgusting, pathetic, ugly, horrible person ever to revile them with her presence, that it was simply me?

Juan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2009, 11:06 pm

Willard wrote:
Juan wrote:
If you were diagnosed with Asperger's, please don't be upset.
Although a lot of things can be explained by AS, if you want to change you still have chance.

AS is an atypical brain function. It does not change, anymore than it can be cured. Whatever challenges and obstacles it presents will be with you all your life. Coping mechanisms can be learned, but the disability is never going to go away.

Juan wrote:
For other people that are "normal", they don't have AS, they communicate with others easily, they have other problems.
They may not as smart as AS, they have to spend a lot of time study math or other courses.
When you AS are frustrated by the social things, they are frustrated by lots of other issues.

Thus there can never be an absolute 'norm', therefore there are no 'normal people'. Everybody's got issues. This is not news.

Juan wrote:
not so many people are intereted in that kind of mental disease.

An atypical brain function is organic, it is not a mental disease. It is a mental handicap caused by a physical disability.

Thanks, Juan, for your inspirational and supportive words. While many come here to vent and complain about the particular difficulties that AS causes, to people we know can understand because they deal with the same issues (which is what WP is for - that's why its called a support group), I think most of us realize that we're not the only people in the world with problems.

On the other hand, the biggest obstacles with which we struggle are not the things that we can or can't do - though those are often significant - its the way our inability to read signals and communicate them causes others to treat us that is the most emotionally debilitating over the course of a lifetime, and inspirational speeches will not change that.

"Just keep trying and everything will work out" sounds good on paper. Tell me that when you're fifty and the society you live in has trodden on you, rejected you, used you for their own benefit and then left you behind to fend for yourself. Tell me that when you do everything you're supposed to do by the book and some bully decides to prevent you from accomplishing a goal that will allow you to work for a living just because you stim a bit, or don't always look him in the eye. You can try all you want - you can even DO exactly what the world demands and still be blocked from succeeding because of the way AS causes others to perceive and react to you.

When there's no reason to get up in the morning because there are a strictly limited number of things one can do constructively and none of those options are open to us, then tell us unicorns and rainbows will make everything all right. After we've appealed to our state representatives and congressmen for help and they try to placate us with platitudes and turn their backs, how exactly does "just keep trying" serve us then?

I've been told all my life that I could do whatever anyone else could do if I 'just tried', and you know what? It was B**LS**T then and its B**LS**T now. If 'just trying' would solve my problem, then I wouldn't actually have a handicap, would I?

Yes, AS related to an atypical brain function. But it doesn't mean that it can not be changed.
AS is not a physical handicap like you lost a leg or hand. It is just some chemicals created by the body are different.
So you can change the chemical by change your body action.
Some researches found in mouse showed that the fur color of mouse can be changed by different food they take when being pregnant.
So it is still possible that we can change what in our mind by different life style or something.
There are still lots of mysterious things in the world.
And the study on AS are not very clear yet. We still have lots of space to improve.
So it is good we try different ways to change it.

There will be some frustrations when you trying to merge into the real world.
There maybe some one want to cheat you or use you. But it is also the same for other people.
Even these which are not AS, they will be cheated or used.
So it is important for us to take it easy when this kind of sad things happened.
We have to adjust our feeling from hating these people cheated us to finding ways of how to avoid be cheated next time.
Or we can still tell us that, it is because we are not useless, we still have something that can help others to reach their goal.
Although they may not thank you for that. But these are their issue, not yours.

When come the situation that others can not understant you or treat you as trash, just stay away from that kind of people.
There are more than 5 billion people in world, why do we need to satisfy this kind of people that don't treasure you.

Juan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2009, 11:08 pm

MsBehaviour wrote:
Juan wrote:

Be what you want to be.
Do what you want to do.
Don't be upset.
The world is still beautiful, not only to me, to him, but also to you, to everyone.

That's a lovely way of describing it Juan. Thank you

Thank you!
I'm glad you like that.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 11:08 pm

some of us do not want our chemistries changed

Juan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2009, 11:13 pm

Callista wrote:
Willard wrote:
Juan wrote:
If you were diagnosed with Asperger's, please don't be upset.
Although a lot of things can be explained by AS, if you want to change you still have chance.
AS is an atypical brain function. It does not change, anymore than it can be cured. Whatever challenges and obstacles it presents will be with you all your life. Coping mechanisms can be learned, but the disability is never going to go away.
Your intent seems pretty correct, but I think the way you're saying it is a little off. AS does change, because people themselves change. Just like a neurotypical child does not have the same brain function as a neurotypical adult, an autistic child does not have the same brain function as an autistic adult. In some cases, that can mean that an adult with autistic brain patterns, who was impaired as a child, might not be impaired as an adult. Given good education (perhaps even good self-education; many of us are good at teaching ourselves) and a decent environment, autistic children will reach their potential, increasing in skill and knowledge as they grow. That's the cause for the "lost diagnosis", in many cases. People with all sorts of brain disorders lose their diagnosis that way. People with mild dyslexia learn to read at an average level; people with low IQs can become self-supporting and completely independent and no longer be diagnosable as mentally ret*d.

This doesn't mean that your brain loses its autistic configuration. But the idea that autistic adults are going to be just like they were as children (and, for that matter, be the same decades later as they are now), is a myth often spread by autism "charities" who like to raise money with fear-and-pity publicity. Autistic people do grow up and change and learn, and they become, as any human being does, gradually more and more capable as they learn to do things. You can't even predict a child's adult functioning, because our development itself is often so atypical that we may be simultaneously behind and ahead of others our age, or start behind and eventually surpass our peers' abilities; or plateau for years before finally "getting it"; or even learn the traditional milestones completely out of order. But we do grow and learn; and I'm really getting quite sick of the supposed charities putting out the myth that we don't.

I can't agree with you more.

Juan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2009, 11:18 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Willard wrote:
I've been told all my life that I could do whatever anyone else could do if I 'just tried', and you know what?. If 'just trying' would solve my problem, then I wouldn't actually have a handicap, would I?

my goodness, Willard, you have hit the nail precisely! May I use your quote in my sig. line sometime?

Merle

My mom's told me I could do anything but I don't believe it. If anyone could do anything, then we (all people and us) all can be scientists or vets or doctors or mathematicians, etc. So I have no idesa what she meant by "anything."

I think the "anything" means anything you try.
Actually, if you tried to take courses related to science, vet, or medicine, you can become a scientist, vet or doctor.
The only issue is if you can be pretty good at these. But this is also an issue for other people without AS.
There are some famouse scienctists, but not all scientists are famouse.

And by trying, it doesn't mean that you can do everything.
You can only do the things you tried.
If you don't try to learn Chinese, you can't say it.
:)

Juan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2009, 11:19 pm

Eggman wrote:

It's good.
If you don't want to be changed.
Then stay the same.
Be what you want to be.
That will be great!!

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 11:20 pm

Juan wrote:
Eggman wrote:

It's good.
If you don't want to be changed.
Then stay the same.
Be what you want to be.
That will be great!!

thats how i've felt

Juan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2009, 11:28 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
I'm sure that there are people whose lives are decent, and they're not upset about having AS. People who see it as a part of themselves and they like themselves, and they like their own talents.

However, the way I see it, being upset about having AS is better than being upset about being yourself. As I child, I would constantly wish to be other people. I would then spend great amounts of time pondering this concept; if it was me in there body, then eventually I wouldn't actually be them, but just be me, because I'd still act like me and think like me. If I were actually them, I wouldn't be them, they would still be them, because it would still be them in their body, and no me. I suppose my overall wish was just not to have AS. But since I didn't know I had it, I simply wished not to be myself. I find it a bit easier to conceptualize, that while it may be part of me, it's more than that. It's not me inherently being bad or wrong or anything, but having a disorder and disability that, while it is part of me, is also in some ways an entity of it's own.

I'm very unsure that I'm putting this correctly, but I'm not totally sure how I should put it.. I'm pretty tired now, though, so I'm not thinking too well. Long day.

Be easy. :D

Take a good rest, everything will be alright.