Page 4 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Are you a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) according to this test?
No 14%  14%  [ 20 ]
Yes 86%  86%  [ 123 ]
Total votes : 143

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2009, 10:04 am

I believe it

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Dec 2009, 10:11 am

Thank you Zeichner, that makes a lot of sense to me now. Like you, I have the AS criteria that I suppose is not on the HSP coined term. I think what happens is it seems like not a week goes by until up jumps another term I have never heard of that has similarities to AS---then it's back to analyzing. I have done this with several things like giftedness and even narcissism. I am not intellectually gifted, and I score lower than average on the narcissism scale, so as my therapist said to me, "You have Asperger's." So anytime I see something like this, I have to research---and this time---I feel too tired in the analysis way to research. My professional diagnosis of AS was done with the DSM-IV and the Gillberg and there was no question of my diagnosis. I guess being AS, many of us are truth-seekers and just like to know everything for sure---my wife calls me black and white thinking---I don't like grey areas. Thank you again Zeichner :D.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 2:32 pm

I know it's not the most credible source in the world, but I was reading the Wikipedia article on HSP:

Quote:
Dr. Aron describes the opposite end of the spectrum, "the opposite of a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) is a person who takes many risks, that is, acts without reflecting very much."

Okay, so definitely not me, then ;)

I can't say much for the other symptoms, this article is rather vague. Don't really feel like finding a more thorough source.

zeichner wrote:
The DSM-IV doesn't even mention sensitivity issues in the criteria for AS (even though I'm pretty sure we all have them.)

All the sensitivity stuff seems to be listed under the symptoms for dyspraxia, at least on Wikipedia.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 7:30 pm

Self-Test Results

You have indicated that 16 of the items are true of you.

As a kid I would have had the greatest score possible as I was sensorily sensitive: now it's completely the reverse!

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 4:20 pm

anneurysm wrote:
Self-Test Results

You have indicated that 16 of the items are true of you.

As a kid I would have had the greatest score possible as I was sensorily sensitive: now it's completely the reverse!
Did you rewire your brain or something?

8O

I got 24. I actually like some loud stimuli sometimes. That is, if I've spent too much time alone and isolated with too few stimuli. I still get overwhelmed by it, but I also get a sensory boost from it. Another thing with me, if I go into highly stimulating environments, I have to do it alone. I need to keep that private space around me in order to stay calm.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2009, 6:16 pm

I got 23 or 24, can't remember already.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2009, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Self-Test Results

You have indicated that 12 of the items are true of you.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 8:53 pm

zeichner wrote:
... I can see how someone who is neurotypical could still score highly on that test, whereas people on the Spectrum are unlikely to score lowly.
In our poll we now have 5 out of 43 who are not HSP. I assume they are all ASD. I'm also on a Dutch ASD forum and posted this test there, we found not-HSP ASDs (diagnosed) there. So apparently there are also ASD people who are not HSP. I think finding not-HSP ASDs and finding HSP NTs is interesting. Because I have been wondering about the overlap between ASD and HSP.
SabbraCadabra wrote:
All the sensitivity stuff seems to be listed under the symptoms for dyspraxia, at least on Wikipedia.
Sensory sensitivity is among the Dyspraxia symptoms, but sensory sensitivity is not among the criteria for Dyspraxia in the DSM IV.
See: Dyspraxia Symptoms and
Dyspraxia / Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) - DSM IV criteria
Just like sensory sensitivity is among the symptoms for ASD but not among the criteria in the DSM IV.
So there is overlap between sensory sensitivity and ASD and there is overlap between sensory sensitivity and Dyspraxia. And there is also overlap between ASD and Dyspraxia.

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2009, 9:18 pm

You have indicated that 20 of the items are true of you.

SnowWhite88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2009, 9:32 pm

I scored 24.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 10:51 pm

I scored 11, surprisingly low considering the scores posted before.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 12:09 am

Meadow wrote:

That test really stressed me out for some reason. I guess just thinking about all those things all at once sends me into massive nervous system overload.
Did you do the face test? I was ready to scream on that one. Looking at all of those faces. I seriously wanted to scream and yell. I was actually ready to click that one off. What the heck is wrong with me LOL. This one was fine for me because it wasnt as hard to answer questions. It just made me want a weighted blanket, strange

Self-Test Results

You have indicated that 23 of the items are true of you.

Scoring:
If you answered more than fourteen of the questions as true of yourself, you are probably highly sensitive. But no psychological test is so accurate that an individual should base his or her life on it. We psychologists try to develop good questions, then decide on the cut off based on the average response.

If fewer questions are true of you, but extremely true, that might also justify calling you highly sensitive.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 12:10 am

Lecks wrote:
I scored 11, surprisingly low considering the scores posted before.

I wish I were like you
Sensitivity sucks

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 12:12 am

southwestforests wrote:
Hey Y'all;

It's congruent with what's already known, got 25.

Quote:
I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows.

I can not watch TV at all any more, the noise and commotion both auditory and visually are overstimulating. Way overstimulating.

Understand. I like action movies but sometimes it just gets too loud. I have an older tv and it doesn't seem to adjust the sound when it gets noisy. I just jump a lot and have MAJOR stress throughout the movie. Yet, I stay and watch it with my husband. I am stressed out the entire rest of the night. Well, until I turn off the light, go on the computer to relax and hyperfocus. Feel much better.

That was one I didn't click. I guess I would be 24 then

Oh, and I am dx ADHD with sensory issues - husband and son have aspergers. People are now telling me I am on the spectrum. I label myself as different. I am who I am whether or not I am. If it is merely the ADHD and sensory issues the reason why I can relate - just as well. I found people here I can relate to and that is a wonderful thing:) SO so wonderful. I love this place!! !

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2009, 2:48 am

You have indicated that 25 of the items are true of you.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2009, 5:38 am

I scored 16.