Do your WP postings lack Social Reciprocity?

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 8:17 pm

During the past year, I have posted > 800 times on WP. During this time, I have noticed that certain members on WP are more effective at “engaging” the community than others (by engage, I mean the back and forth postings that is the online equivalent of conversation).

For me, my postings (particularly, my responses to other's postings) rarely elicit responses from other members. Which is totally fine with me.

Though, it makes me wonder if, in general, our online communication style matches our real-world communication style. Thoughts?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 8:20 pm

My postings lack social-emotional reciprocity, but they sometimes have content that others reply to, and I don't reply to as many of others' replies to me as I would if I had bester social-emotional reciprocity, but the content and information are still there from me and others, so I figure that is good enough.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 8:27 pm

I think mine are to an extent, although I've seen very non-reciprocal posters on here (i.e. they post something and never reply but then post another thread). I'd say it's a continuum. Sometimes I don't know how to respond and sometimes I find posts too emotionally overwhelming to be able to respond.

I've seen several posters on here (they used to post in the past) and their posts seemed highly socially reciprocal. That was an exception and I don't see most, if not all, of these people around anymore.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 8:27 pm

I deliberately avoid engaging people in a personal way because I've had bad experiences on other forums and I'm uncomfortable getting to know people online anymore. Does not mean I would communicate exactly the same way in person.

ReverieMe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2014, 8:28 pm

I often don't know what to say when there isn't much content or a clear path for a conversation to take. It's hard to reply to a one-line post of something like, "Yes, I do that a lot."

alwaysnow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2014, 8:29 pm

Absolutely, I noticed it very early with my posting here. I don't personally find it as obvious in real life situations on my part though, but it very well might be to others. The posting I do here I don't really expect anyone to respond directly to me so that's no big deal (and I rarely find a sufficient reason to respond directly to others), but my lack of connection with people in real life is another story.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 8:38 pm

am unable to communicate in back forth posting and can only do one post postings like original posts or single one off replies,for self its because theres a prompt missing, am unable to feel the need to reply back and lack the interactive skills.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 8:42 pm

Sometimes my postings are back and forth, but sometimes they are a bit monologue-like.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 8:44 pm

sometimes i get discouraged when i post asked for advice and no one lets me know how that felt for them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 8:49 pm

I do seek reciprocity with my posts; it doesn't always happen that way. I like "give-and-take." I like floating ideas around.

I have found, in certain threads, that my contributions are not seen as being "intellectual" enough; therefore, they are ignored, or I'm told I've reduced the "quality" of the thread. I'm not one who likes to write whole paragraphs about things which might only require a single line. I'm neither the philosophical nor the scholarly type.

What I especially enjoy is giving advice that might make one's day easier to bear.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 8:55 pm

I think forums work a little differently as I don't think going back and fourth is to be expected in Forum situations as opposed as real conversation.

I don't have that much to say in threads usually, I sometimes can go into a lot of detail that may go beyond the answered question, others I may not bother as my thoughts on a thread is already covered by some else so I don't quote a post with a simple "this" or "I agree" response.

It often takes a lot of physical and mental strength to post something sometimes. Other times it's like I have a "mute" day on the Internet and feel unable to converse anywhere.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 9:43 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
During the past year, I have posted > 800 times on WP. During this time, I have noticed that certain members on WP are more effective at “engaging” the community than others (by engage, I mean the back and forth postings that is the online equivalent of conversation).For me, my postings (particularly, my responses to other's postings) rarely elicit responses from other members. Which is totally fine with me. Though, it makes me wonder if, in general, our online communication style matches our real-world communication style. Thoughts?

I have noticed this too... very often. I think it is a demonstration of a lack of EMPATHY. People can go on and on about what they think, believe, do, and care about... but engaging in back and forth sharing, comparing, analyzing together... not so much. It's like thinking about what someone else is thinking about, is not one of our strong points.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 10:04 pm

You responded to a question I asked, and I was thankful.

I don't know I should post "thank you, for answering". :?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 10:04 pm

cathylynn wrote:
sometimes i get discouraged when i post asked for advice and no one lets me know how that felt for them.

sometime with us aspies you have to explicitly ask for feedback in as descriptive a manner as possible. that would at least increase your rate of replies.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 10:16 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
During the past year, I have posted > 800 times on WP. During this time, I have noticed that certain members on WP are more effective at “engaging” the community than others (by engage, I mean the back and forth postings that is the online equivalent of conversation).

For me, my postings (particularly, my responses to other's postings) rarely elicit responses from other members. Which is totally fine with me.

Though, it makes me wonder if, in general, our online communication style matches our real-world communication style. Thoughts?

Most of the best examples of high post counts often look like hostile trolling coupled with ppl insulting each other, rarely does any consensus come from 15+ page threads.

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 10:36 pm

I find back and forth posting a bit too intimate and it starts to feel weird so I eventually stop, probably similar in how eye-contact feels too intimate and weird for me. it's just plain uncomfortable.