Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 1:18 am

Does anybody else have these? I have my main obsessions: ballet, drawing, and music. However, sometimes a random obsession will come and take over for about two weeks or less. Usually never longer than that. Most recently it was the game Bejeweled. I couldn't stop playing it and was thinking about it when I wasn't playing it. Before that there were the Twilight books, Chelsea Handler, go go dancing and Harry Potter . The obsessions totally take over and they're all I can think about but they don't last long. Then it's back to "normal" Does anyone else experience this? Or is it more neurotypical of me for this to happen. I only ask that because it's technically having multiple interests, yet I'm pretty sure they are unusual in intensity. Also, I'm only obsessed with one of them at a time.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 1:55 am

Yes. I have only a couple that are always there and then I get new ones all the time. Most of the time they go away in days or weeks. Sometimes they don't.

ozzie_girl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Nov 2009, 6:41 am

Definitely happens for me. Usually it involves me researching something on the internet intensely for a week or two and then forgetting all about it. Other times it's an old interest popping up again for a week or - e.g. I go all out and buy painting supplies, paint two pictures and then forget all about painting for 6 months.

curtis122
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Nov 2009, 6:47 am

Yes I experience this.

Craftbot
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Nov 2009, 9:14 am

My main interest is yarn, I like to spin it, dye it, and knit. Sometimes I get obsessed with other crafty things, but then drop them and go back to knitting.
A few months ago I became obsessed with sewing. I bought a sewing machine, tons of fabric, books, took a class and made about 2 things. Then I dropped it and went right back to knitting.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2009, 9:16 am

Yes, this happens from time to time. It is usually a topic that I research intensely, but can also be a game. Flares brightly for a week or two, then fades away quickly. I once heard this phenomenon described (applying to anybody) as "you're done when you got what you came for. How do you know when you got what you came for? Because you're now done." This conundrum satisfies me.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2009, 9:55 am

This happens to me all the time, I love drawing, filming and computers :)
but the obsession that i've been having lately is my girlfriend which i havent seen for a while, and i can't seem to get her out of my head and its been more than two weeks :cry:

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 5:30 pm

My obsessions are usually on general topics which remain for years but my interests within that given general topic will usually shift around every few weeks.

'An ideal of total self-sufficiency. That secret smile may be the Buddha's but it is monstrous seen on a baby's face. To conquer craving is indeed to conquer pain, but humanity goes with it. That my autistic daughter wanted nothing was worst of all.' Park

26 Nov 2009, 5:42 pm

Yeah. Sometimes I get obsessed with things for a few months and move on.

tektek
Bronze Supporter
Bronze Supporter

27 Nov 2009, 5:20 am

ozzie_girl wrote:
Definitely happens for me. Usually it involves me researching something on the internet intensely for a week or two and then forgetting all about it. Other times it's an old interest popping up again for a week or - e.g. I go all out and buy painting supplies, paint two pictures and then forget all about painting for 6 months.

this. yes, definitely.

add to this losing sleep (more than normal) further obsessing... and then, if the opportunity for conversation pops up you will always (always) bring that subject to the fore... no matter how far off on a tangent it is to do so. :)

oppositedirection wrote:
My obsessions are usually on general topics which remain for years but my interests within that given general topic will usually shift around every few weeks.

this also applies.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2009, 8:18 am

Yes, I have this, too. It usually occurs when I don't have a main special interest; there are always transition periods between mine.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

_LiquidHydrogen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2009, 6:07 pm

I've had this one many times. Most recently it was two and three way adaptors.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2009, 10:45 am

Yep. Currently it's motorcycle boots.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 11:17 am

I can relate to this. Usually my interests have to do with either computers, or music. But right now I'm on a little side "project", studying certain foodborne illness outbreaks. :?

Craftbot
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Nov 2009, 12:11 pm

Right now, I'm getting back into an old "obsession". The Moog synthesizer. I can't play, but I've been listening to some moog records and reading about the history of the moog.

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 4:22 pm

Craftbot wrote:
Right now, I'm getting back into an old "obsession". The Moog synthesizer. I can't play, but I've been listening to some moog records and reading about the history of the moog.
That is quite possibly the most brilliant obsession I've seen on WP so far. Unique, stylish and probably rather interesting.

'An ideal of total self-sufficiency. That secret smile may be the Buddha's but it is monstrous seen on a baby's face. To conquer craving is indeed to conquer pain, but humanity goes with it. That my autistic daughter wanted nothing was worst of all.' Park