Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

katienate_89
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Sep 2010, 4:01 pm

Sometimes my mum tells me that I shouldn't always be so negative about things, or rather "a fountain of negativity' I disagree with her,believing rather that if the day is good,then the glass is half full,if the day is bad,the glass if half empty.

My Dr was wondering why people on the Autism Spectrum appear to have such a negative outlook on things sometimes. I told her about this forum and she asked me to ask around,see what others think. Her main worry is the younger kids,like an eight year old she treats who is very very dark almost too dark for his age.

She's not being judgmental here she simply wants to help.

So what do you guys think? Glass half empty or half full,and if so why do you pick you decisions?

And,do you think we think more negatively than the average person?

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:08 pm

This glass is 2x too big :twisted:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

katienate_89

16 Sep 2010, 4:09 pm

Valoyossa wrote:
This glass is 2x too big :twisted:

Either I'm an idiot or I'm slow..either way I don't know what you mean

I'm 19,but sometimes my train runs on a seperate track.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:11 pm

Glass isn't half empty or half full - it's two times too big.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:12 pm

Seeing things negatively is to cope with change or the unexpected. Expecting something bad to happen makes things less bad if something bad does happen. While, on the other hand, if something good happens instead it's easier to cope with a good change rather than a bad one.

It's also just being realistic. I think a lot of it is "emotionally supporting someone" where you tell them positive things while an autistic person is likely to see things realistically, and thus is might come across as negativity. Bad experiences probably play a part.

katienate_89

16 Sep 2010, 4:13 pm

Valoyossa wrote:

Too big like...too much to handle too big?

katienate_89

16 Sep 2010, 4:15 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Seeing things negatively is to cope with change or the unexpected. Expecting something bad to happen makes things less bad if something bad does happen. While, on the other hand, if something good happens instead it's easier to cope with a good change rather than a bad one.

It's also just being realistic. I think a lot of it is "emotionally supporting someone" where you tell them positive things while an autistic person is likely to see things realistically, and thus is might come across as negativity. Bad experiences probably play a part.

I really like this answer,because often I find myself wanting to expect something to have a positive outcome but I always make my own expectations negative so that it doesn't seem AS terrible if something bad actually does happen.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:16 pm

Neither, I have deliberately knocked over the glass and smashed it into a million tiny pieces! :lol:

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2010, 4:17 pm

Valoyossa wrote:

/stand up
/applaud

katienate_89 wrote:
Valoyossa wrote:

Tip: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

katienate_89

16 Sep 2010, 4:21 pm

SuperApsie wrote:
Valoyossa wrote:

/stand up
/applaud

katienate_89 wrote:
Valoyossa wrote:

Tip: Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH It's a film reference? Thanks for clearing that up.

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2010, 4:25 pm

If your glass isn't full, be a man and fill it. If it's full, be a man and drink it. If you're a girl, be a man and do it anyway.

Don't sit around wondering pointless things about glasses, that's not what they are for.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:26 pm

If you appear to others like a 'n****r at a clan rally', then I suppose negativity is a normal outcome.

However, being negative sucks for you and you rain on others parades and bring them down, so yeah, try not to go there as much as possible.

The problem of negativity is mostly not authentic to being aspie, but how we are treated by society and family

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:28 pm

Completely full, just not all liquid.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:35 pm

Maybe I'm too literal here, but I always thought it was a daft expression anyway since they are both the same measure. I could never remember which one was supposed to be positive and which one negative. You could logically explain it either way. Half full could be bad because you've only got half, but half empty means you've already enjoyed having a full glass and consumed half and still got another half to look forward to. So half empty should be better. :scratch:

I'm over thinking this aren't I?

katienate_89

16 Sep 2010, 4:54 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Maybe I'm too literal here, but I always thought it was a daft expression anyway since they are both the same measure. I could never remember which one was supposed to be positive and which one negative. You could logically explain it either way. Half full could be bad because you've only got half, but half empty means you've already enjoyed having a full glass and consumed half and still got another half to look forward to. So half empty should be better. :scratch:

I'm over thinking this aren't I?

I truly only use the expression because it's well known,but it makes sense the way you put it.
But I think metaphorically it's supposed to reffer to life, half empty being negative because it means all you see is that your almost out,but half full being positive because you see that it's not gone yet.

Or..ya know..something.. :?

katienate_89

16 Sep 2010, 4:55 pm

Surfman wrote:
If you appear to others like a 'n****r at a clan rally', then I suppose negativity is a normal outcome.

However, being negative sucks for you and you rain on others parades and bring them down, so yeah, try not to go there as much as possible.

The problem of negativity is mostly not authentic to being aspie, but how we are treated by society and family

That makes sense,see I was thinking that maybe we just come OFF as being negative or dark and that's not actually how it goes.