Page 1 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 4:29 am

Why does society view us people with AS as wrong and lesser?

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 4:32 am

Because we are in the minority. Sadly, the way the world works is normally on the "might is right" principle.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 5:37 am

I don't see society doing such.

Sure, there's the usual ignorance after someone with "something" does wrong, but that's there for everything.

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2013, 6:19 am

Because you keep bringing it up/

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:25 am

Arrogance?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:30 am

It depends on how much you contribute to society.

Temple Grandin is well known to be on the spectrum and is highly regarded.

In 2010 Grandin was listed in the Time 100 list of the 100 most influential people in the world in the "Heroes" category.[2] She received a Double Helix Medal in 2011.[22] She has received honorary degrees from many universities including Carnegie Mellon University in the United States (2012), McGill University in Canada (1999), and the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (2009).[23]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 8:20 am

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
Because you keep bringing it up/

Take a hike troll

Shelbo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jun 2013, 8:28 am

It's not so much "wrong" to them so much as the NTs think we are so uncool, because they are such trendmongers, and typically, we are not.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 8:32 am

Shelbo wrote:
It's not so much "wrong" to them so much as the NTs think we are so uncool, because they are such trendmongers, and typically, we are not.

But wouldn't u think that society would have more sympathy for us since we are in the minority instead of treating us like crap :evil:

I thought NTs were better at relating/empathy so can't they at all understand the suffering they subject us to?

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 9:05 am

Jamesy wrote:
Shelbo wrote:

But wouldn't u think that society would have more sympathy for us since we are in the minority instead of treating us like crap :evil:

I thought NTs were better at relating/empathy so can't they at all understand the suffering they subject us to?

Most of the time, people aren't aware of it...but that changes with knowledge and information about the way we are.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 9:11 am

BTDT wrote:
It depends on how much you contribute to society.

Temple Grandin is well known to be on the spectrum and is highly regarded.

In 2010 Grandin was listed in the Time 100 list of the 100 most influential people in the world in the "Heroes" category.[2] She received a Double Helix Medal in 2011.[22] She has received honorary degrees from many universities including Carnegie Mellon University in the United States (2012), McGill University in Canada (1999), and the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (2009).[23]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin

I'm not so sure celeberities are ever a good guage of overall acceptance in my opinion.

Mani
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2013, 9:27 am

As an NT, I can say that there is not enough knowledge out there about ASD. Before my son was diagnosed I didn't' know anything about ASD. I also believe that since ASD is not something you can see by looking at someone, it is more difficult to understand. If you see someone in a wheelchair, you don't say to the person, "come on, get up and cross the street" because you can see that they cannot, but you cannot easily see ASD. Thanks to sites like this, I am learning and becoming more educated. I am doing my best to share my knowledge with others. I believe that over time ASD will be more understood but it will take time.

Mani
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2013, 9:28 am

As an NT, I can say that there is not enough knowledge out there about ASD. Before my son was diagnosed I didn't' know anything about ASD. I also believe that since ASD is not something you can see by looking at someone, it is more difficult to understand. If you see someone in a wheelchair, you don't say to the person, "come on, get up and cross the street" because you can see that they cannot, but you cannot easily see ASD. Thanks to sites like this, I am learning and becoming more educated. I am doing my best to share my knowledge with others. I believe that over time ASD will be more understood but it will take time.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 9:40 am

I used to get hung up on this when I was a kid--I felt at odds with "society"--but then I realized that "society" doesn't exist as an individual with motivations. Society is the name we gave to typical, majority or average behavior. It is the result of many individuals acting alone or in small groups, they are not acting in concert and the degree to which their actions are similar is based on the degree to which they share a common culture and a consensus view of reality.

Your question presupposes that this emergent phenomenon can have motivations, but it cannot. It makes no sense to think that way. The question is: why do the individuals (those whose collective behavior produces our sense of "society") act the way they do?

I think the answer is that people spot patterns and define expectations based on those patterns. People whose behavior is outside of the general range of expected normal behavior are quickly identified as "different" -- they don't know why that difference exists, but they flag it as something to pay attention to.

Some possible reasons for people behaving differently include potentially dangerous states: intoxication or psychosis. Others may indicate psychological differences that could lead to socially unacceptable or criminal behavior. The mechanisms by which individuals collectively enforce social norms include visible signs of disapproval, mockery, taunting and violence.

They people who you have met who create the impression in you that society sees people with AS as wrong and lesser are part of this broader system of group behavior and they don't really hold that view at all. The thing they find intolerable and wrong is a "normal" person behaving the way a person with AS does. Older children who are learning the rules don't know how to add compassion to them, so they tend to be more aggressive.

Adults with any degree of compassion will make allowances for a person if they know the odd behavior is caused by a neurological difference and does not represent a threat. That's a very small group. The rest will see any obvious departures from expected behavior as wrong and potentially dangerous and they will make their disapproval obvious.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 9:56 am

Jamesy wrote:

Maybe because too many of us seem to accept failure as a way of life while simultaneously demanding the preferential treatment that only successful people deserve.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 10:02 am

Fnord wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

Maybe because too many of us seem to accept failure as a way of life while simultaneously demanding the preferential treatment that only successful people deserve.

I don't think that's just an AS thing these days....