Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2009, 4:09 pm

Why when you do something wrong and you have a disability you need to be held accountable immediatly?

But,

If a Nurotypical hurts you, you are told you need to be more careful, the person didn't mean to hurt you, and that person doesn't have to be held accountable immediately?

Example: A Nurotypical makes an Honest Mistake, (or any mistake) A Person With A Disability has committed a Crime.

It's so anoying that people over react if you have a disability and you make a mistake.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 4:52 pm

Without revealing too much of something personal, could some illustration of the kind of event that is referred to be given?

20 Dec 2009, 4:55 pm

The same type of question was asked at Yahoo Answers. I honestly have no idea.

When I was a kid, everything was a big deal if I did something wrong or made a mistake but if the other kids did it, it wasn't a big deal. Even if they did goofy things, the staff ignored it but if I did them, oh no I had committed a crime.

In high school my aid was over protective of me and my special ed teacher and it was frustrating. I just wanted to be treated like everyone else. It was okay for other kids to goof off and be silly but when I did it, I got "Beth Beth." But if other kids did it, their names didn't get called. So I did goody things when my aid wasn't around and kids laughed and liked it. I also started teasing my aid by pretending I was going to do thigns to get her reaction and I always found it funny. I turned it into a game.

I was bullied in elementary school and I always had to be the bad guy. I figured out in my teens that they didn't get in trouble was because they did verbal bullying but if they touched me, they got punished. The reason why I get in trouble for defending myself was because I touched them. Now if I fought back in word, no doubt I wouldn't be punished. I've teased a few kids in my school and got away with it. Why? It was verbal. At least I had that same right.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 10:11 pm

I've noticed the reverse on these forums. People with even the slightest suspicion of an ASD are justified in committing murder, because the world was mean to them. On the other hand, if an NT so much as looks the wrong way at someone with an ASD, they need to be hung, drawn, and quartered, then burnt and their ashes scattered to the four winds so that their evil presence cannot walk the earth again.

It seems that many contexts are prone to double standards.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I