ear infections common for Autistic folks?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 11:32 pm

I've been getting ear infections since being a very young child.

I also know that we have auditory sensitivity.

Are the two somehow connected?

23 Dec 2009, 11:39 pm

I had them a lot when I was a baby and that was how I lost my hearing. I still got them after I had tubes put in and I can remember getting the medicine and I remember feeling fine. My mom had to be on top of me as she inject the medicine in my mouth. I think I can actually remember the doctor appointments for my ears and I always got scared in the office.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 11:39 pm

Nose/sinus issues seem to be caused by the same funky genes that are suspected in playing part in autism. Not sure about ears. The two are closely connected so it is possible.

I always have a runny nose, my sinus infections are epic, and I have occasional ear issues (excessive ear wax, ringing, feeling of water in the ears). And I have hyper-sensitivity to sounds, of course.

It is amazing how many of these traits we have in common, and yet they aren't in the diagnostic criteria! :)

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 11:41 pm

Not as far as I know. I never had any

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 11:47 pm

It might be, a friend of mine who shows signs of Autism gets ear infections every two months or so. I used to get them when I was a young child as well.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 12:06 am

Used to be. I grew out of them. Kids' eustachian tubes are smaller and angled differently from adults', so naturally they tend to get more ear infections.

I don't think it has anything to do with auditory processing problems, because your auditory cortex is in your brain, not your middle ear.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 12:09 am

Constantly and severe as a child. Still have issues with pressure, irritation, and TMJ as an adult.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 12:12 am

Dilbert wrote:
Nose/sinus issues seem to be caused by the same funky genes that are suspected in playing part in autism. Not sure about ears. The two are closely connected so it is possible.

I always have a runny nose, my sinus infections are epic, and I have occasional ear issues (excessive ear wax, ringing, feeling of water in the ears). And I have hyper-sensitivity to sounds, of course.

It is amazing how many of these traits we have in common, and yet they aren't in the diagnostic criteria! :)

I had sinus and ear infections *all the time* when I was little!

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 2:15 am

I haven't had an ear infection since I was a little kid. Neither have any of my ASD friends as far as I know.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 2:22 am

I had very many ear infections when I was very young.

But I don't believe I've had an ear infection since then.

tektek
Bronze Supporter
Bronze Supporter

24 Dec 2009, 4:17 am

i suffered quite a bit as a child with ear infection and as an adult i get the odd ear infection... maybe three to four times a year now. i tend to avoid swimming at all costs and i am a little paranoid about filling up my ears in the shower. hehe.

a greater and more common irritation (as an adult) for me is that when i am fatigued (and trying to continue to function normally) i find that my hearing capacity (or ability) is reduced, my hearing reaction time is increased (all senses tend to become quite laggy), and my listening comprehension is reduced... this usually contributes to even greater fatigue, frustration, and confusion. :? lol

also noted when i am fatigued is clipping of high frequency sounds... almost like being underwater or in an impossibly thick fog (thicker than air).

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 4:29 am

i never had an ear infection ever but i heard its very common among autistics idk why either

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 6:13 am

I've never had an ear infection, but I do get a lot of wax... we did a test in Year 8 with an oscilloscope and it was proven I had WAY more sensitive hearing than everyone else in the class. Which explains my sensory overload and my ability to hear dog whistles ;)

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 7:02 am

I had lots and lots of ear infections as a kid.. I don't get them anymore, though.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 7:37 am

I have had one ear infection in my life as far as I can recall. I can only remember back to when I was almost 4, so it's possible that I had more before then.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 11:27 am

I've had 3 really nasty ear canal infections in my life. Each time I had to go to the ER to get antibiotics and a heavy dose of pain meds. My entire ear swelled shut so that I couldn't hear anything but throbbing in the infected ear and if someone touched the ear the pain was like an electric jolt. Ear canal infections suck so much. I'm now paranoid about getting water in my ear. I wear earplugs every time I swim.

I also had the more common middle-ear infections when I was a child but I don't remember those hurting as much as the canal infections I've had as an adult.