Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 6:53 pm

On a lot of message boards I go on, I always get made fun of or ignored because I'm not intelligent and a lot of people on there don't consider making 1 or 2 sentence posts or always responsing every time with replies like "Me, too." "Agreed!" or "Anyone like this or that?" intelligent and I can't help it I write like that.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 7:16 pm

Intel the truth topic

Do not let others define you. I myself would not frequent any message boards that would judge me like that. :evil:

One thing at WP--you will not find anyone who judges another person's intellect just because of short answers.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 7:38 pm

I feel the same way. I have poor spelling and I'm not usually able to make long posts. I was told to elaborate by another member, here and it threw me in for a loop. I don't even know what the word, elaborate means.

Back to my drums. 8)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 7:53 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I feel the same way. I have poor spelling and I'm not usually able to make long posts. I was told to elaborate by another member, here and it threw me in for a loop. I don't even know what the word, elaborate means.

Back to my drums. 8)

Short and sweet topic

But at least the member did not judge your intellect. I know there are some members who are picky about definitions and evidence (as I sometimes am) but there are few members here that I find totally unfathomable.

Everyone has his/her own style and rhythm. the beat goes on.

Hey, whatever happened to Sid the Love Rat?

(Hey, Royger, I do not mean to hijack your thread. I just wanted CR to know how I viewed the situation.)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 8:00 pm

The thing that happened to Sid, is that I didn't want to live in a fantasy, anymore. The time has come for me to live in the real world. The whole Sid thing was brougt on by a now inactive member dropping me as a friend and than personally attacking me on these forums, in early 2007.

Philotix
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Dec 2009, 8:09 pm

Listen to the advice of everyone else. Don't let other people decide how you should feel about yourself.

I make REALLY long posts most of the time, and people still say that I'm unintelligent. Intelligence has little to do with how much or how little you say, it has to do with the CONTENT of those statements. A wise man can be wise with a few words or many, and an idiot can do the exact same.

Aspie-B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2009, 8:19 pm

I failed my SAT reading comprehension by 1 point. I have no problems with short replies.

Last edited by Aspie-B on 25 Dec 2009, 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 9:08 pm

Thanks, guys! :D

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 9:19 pm

I have a pretty short attention span when it comes to reading online. So I appreciate the short threads and replies. More times then not, I skip right over the long drawn out posts.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 9:33 pm

short replies are cool 8)

Merle

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2009, 11:16 pm

I like posts that are short and succinct.

sefer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2009, 3:06 am

Maybe you just need to learn to express yourself better.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 4:27 am

I think it depends on what message boards you go on. Those, like this site, which are purely there for support and advice are usually good, however some message boards I have been on have been really... disgusting... One had an entire thread dedicated to saying how much gay people should go to hell and burn because they are dirty ****** etc. and people tell you things like **** off you little ***** if your opinion is not the 'norm'. Frankly I give up on these boards and leave. There's no point trying to argue with them and there doesn't seem to be any protection from moderatios or anytrhing. Short answers doesn't make you unintelligent, it just means you can get your point across in a smaller way! That's a skill in itself!

(I bet most people skip my posts because they are so long! :wink: )

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 9:40 am

Self expression is not my strong point.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 8:57 pm

Brevity contracts. Absolute brevi

The year is still young.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2009, 9:14 pm

Short posts are not the result of low intelligence. There are many types of intelligence: verbal, visual/spatial, logical reasoning... Just because you cannot express yourself verbally very well does not mean that you cannot have talents in other areas. It sometimes takes a while to discover one's own abilities and capacities. Don't give up!

I sometimes also am tempted to post something short, such as "QFT", "Agreed", "same here", etc. I do this when I feel like other people have captured whatever I had on my mind perfectly. I do not think in words, so sometimes I cannot express myself very well in words, either. I'm even less fluent in spoken word than in written word, with the notable exception of structured, organized conversations and talking about my interests. :D It has to do with the lack of imagination and spontaneity, I suppose.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.