Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ztower
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2010, 9:21 pm

When you do something wrong, something you regret later after realizing the seriousness of what you did; do you spend days, weeks or even months in an anxiety battle(rational vs irrational thinking) looking at the situation at every angle until you find the key answer explaining why you did it? I do this with everything and there are a few times in my life that I regretted and spent months trying to logically forgive myself. I read about this thing called Guilt and tried everything to get rid of it but it didn't work even when researching online and talking to family about it, I was trapped in a logical battle which causes me great anxiety. It probably doesn't help that im very likely ADD either. I do this a lot with other things too, but when it comes to a personal regrettable mistake, I lose my identity while trapped in my head. Anybody else experience this?

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 10:30 pm

Yes, I experience this. I understand exactly what you're going through and how distressing this is for you. I happens to me quite allot, I have problems with intense feelings of guilt too. I think its a common Aspie thing. You're trying find a logical way out of what is essentially en emotional problem. You're trying to understand and undo an emotional harm caused to someone else, using logical reasoning.

But people are emotional and no amount of logical reasoning can undo the emotional hurt we may cause during a brief moment of thoughtlessness and high emotion. We have to accept that and move on. Guilt is also common in OCD, and Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder - which overlaps and shares many traits in common with Asperger's.

"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of." - Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

http://bbrhuft.photium.com

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 5:09 am

I have the same thing.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 7:36 am

same here.

I will literally go over the events in my head again and again; almost like watching a video surveillance camera tape, to pick up on things I may've missed before.

And in many cases yes, fear, anxiety and guilt usually abound.

Jak
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jan 2010, 8:25 am

Yup I get that.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 10:32 am

I also replay situations that I have seriously messed up somehow. I become quite obsessed with them and "lose my identity while trapped in my head." I tend to change the situation though, mentally, inserting the potentially correct response or words or what have you, until I make it right within myself. In the process, I manage to find out where I went wrong and come to understand that situation and my motivation very well, as I need to change my mindset while replaying in order to be able to say or do different things. I cannot stop obsessing until the situation seems right to me. I find that I need it to run its course in order for me to be able to move on. If I try to stop it, I just become preoccupied anyhow and mess more things up due to my preoccupation. I cannot stand it when I get like that. It drives me nuts because even though I torture myself, I like being caught up in my head. It can be a nasty cycle like that...

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 1:00 pm

Yup, I have that wretched syndrome too.