Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 8:12 pm

Whenever i am watching TV my parents always say "can you hear that?"
which I can just fine.
They always think the volume is too low.
Does anyone else make comments like this to you?

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 8:28 pm

My dad only has about 50% normal hearing left, so I deal with all sorts of stuff like that all the time.

But they do not have me

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:41 pm

My wife hears that question from me.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 10:06 pm

My best friend will make a noise with something, I'll cover my ears, and she'll comment "God you've got good hearing."

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2010, 11:01 pm

my wife and daughter have good hearing, they usually talk so quietly together that even in the same room I can't hear them, and my hearing is supposedly perfect. They both hear the electrical buzz of the tv and other stuff if it gets left on, but there is no actual sound.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

27 Jan 2010, 12:46 am

creepycrawly36 wrote:
They both hear the electrical buzz of the tv and other stuff if it gets left on, but there is no actual sound.

My sister can hear that buzz from our tvs too, from another room (she is NT).

People are always commenting on my hearing, though not because they think it is good. I have difficulty receiving spoken conversation. I can hear the person talking, however I can't often distinguish the words. I often have the tv volume quite high simply to make out the words. I require my coworkers to face me when speaking so I can watch their lips to better understand what they are saying. On the other hand, I can hear sounds at quite a distance, often sounds others do not hear. I have had my hearing checked and it is well within normal range, even with speech. Don't know where my problem lies... :shrug:

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Bonny
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2010, 12:50 am

Yes, my hearing is really good: I can take in very low volumes- when i was teaching K-6 children were always saying OMG..she heard that!

My son has perfect pitch and when he sings certain notes I have to be careful to cover my ears as it hurts!

Somehow ,I've thought it was connected to ESP but that intuitive only.......I've never researched the science of it all.

And Yes, I always get that comment about the TV< universally from all who know me.

Has always amused me- others reactions and my ear skills.
Very handy when talking to other pets:)

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 12:59 am

Yes, often. There are quite a few people who insist that my preferred volume level of the TV/music is inaudible.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 3:40 am

I always get told the volume is too high, that I talk to loud, etc. I can hear just fine but can't make out what people are saying unless it is intensly loud or else it just sounds like giberish. I often have to watch TV with the closed captioning on in order to be able to fully understand what is being said. Some people think I am deaf but I can hear things most people cannot.

saintetienne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2010, 7:41 am

creepycrawly36 wrote:
my wife and daughter have good hearing, they usually talk so quietly together that even in the same room I can't hear them, and my hearing is supposedly perfect. They both hear the electrical buzz of the tv and other stuff if it gets left on, but there is no actual sound.

there is!

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 9:57 am

High pitch noises yes very good needing to understand what someone is saying not as good.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 12:19 pm

I generally have to ask for televisions to be turned down, although the others watching don't seem to find it inaudible at the levels I find just right.

Jingo8
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2010, 1:26 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
I always get told the volume is too high, that I talk to loud, etc. I can hear just fine but can't make out what people are saying unless it is intensly loud or else it just sounds like giberish. I often have to watch TV with the closed captioning on in order to be able to fully understand what is being said. Some people think I am deaf but I can hear things most people cannot.

That's me, nothing wrong with my hearing (tested). I struggle a bit with voices and a lot once you throw in some background noise and/or accents or poor quality. I'm sure it's a processing issue.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 2:20 pm

I think my (what appears to be very domain specific) hearing torments my family.

I get very disturbed by the volume of the TV at home if I'm not actually watching it or if I didn't pick the movie/show that is on.

If I pick a channel or put on a DVD, I don't seem to have any pain threshold at all!! !

In restaurants I tend to get overwhelmed with the background noise of the 'conversations' (couldn't they all just ****ing eat and shut up?) and have resorted to wearing ear plugs.

The conversations remind me of the ocean when the tide is coming in.

There is the ebb and the flow but the water is getting deeper, closer and noisier and..............I can't ****ing stop it.

:wall:

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 2:26 pm

creepycrawly36 wrote:
They both hear the electrical buzz of the tv and other stuff if it gets left on, but there is no actual sound.

I can hear this.

I am sort of deaf when it comes to hearing speech, though. I have to turn the TV up very loud (and/or use subtitles) or I will not be able to understand it. I also have trouble with "filtering sounds." If there is background noise, I cannot hear a thing. Neither the main thing I am trying to listen to nor the noise in the background. They both blur together in a clash of random sound and I can't make sense of either of them.

*edit* Oops that's what I get for not reading all the replies. Some others already said this :oops:

alana
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 2:29 pm

yes. I am that way with lighting and volume, it is always too loud and too bright.