I'm speaking alongside Temple Grandin this fall!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 3:03 am

makuranososhi wrote:
Now aren't you assuming a level of ToM in that expectation?

What do you mean? That she can't see that telling others how to behave is "wrong"? That's cause and effect, rather than being able to deduce nonverbal cues and what people are feeling due to the same (which the so-called theory of mind is). Cause and effect is a logical certainty, so people with an ASD "shouldn't" be impaired in it any more than the average person (at least of average intelligence).

If she can't see this, then people should bring it up with her, as she's a voice of authority for many in regards to ASDs, so she can then be more objective.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 3:19 am

Wiki wrote:
The theory of mind (ToM) impairment describes a difficulty someone would have with perspective taking. This is also sometimes referred to as mind-blindness. This means that individuals with a ToM impairment would have a hard time seeing things from any other perspective than their own.

It's as good definition as many others I found; all denote challenge with perspective and not with deduction. She may not see why anyone would have a viewpoint other than her own... I know for me that has been a learned skill, kind of a rough modeling process, a quick render as it were.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!