Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

johanstruijk82
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2010, 3:19 pm

I'm now using kava kava to see if it puts the anxiety beast in me down a bit, did anyone here try it? Also I try iron because I think I have a defiency (cause I've been a vegetarian since I was 10 or so), b12 and like 12 other supplements. I also ordered a gluten home test, cause a lot of aspies do seem to have problems with gluten. Three questions, 1st, did you try kava kava and did it do something? 2nd, did anyone try a gluten-free diet and did it help? 3rd, I'm now having a really scheduled out day schedule but today I came to a point that I was so tired I dropped on bed and thought I would die of exhaustion. I built in 40 minutes of rest on bed throughout the day and beside that I sleep about 7-8 hours per day. Is doing too much not good to get an aspie a bit grounded, should I take more rest?

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 4:10 pm

I've tried kava as a counter to depression (bottled and also made from half-powdered leaves or twigs or something ground up in a mixer), found it slightly relaxing. Not a strong effect at all (like smoking a cigarette if you're not used to them, that sort of strength of effect); I suspect a lot is down to how you take it, you're supposed to wrap it in leaves or something strange like that. Can't really say much more than "try it and see", and if you're making it from the powdery stuff try steeping it for longer or shorter times.

The year is still young.

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 5:19 pm

Not sure about kava kava, but I was vegan for a while to try and help my digestion.

It worked, but due to an endocrine problem, I could not eat enough to get all the nutrient I need. I took supplements but wasn't enough.

I avoid bread, pasta and other processed wheat products, but I would not recommend cutting out gluten in whole foods. If you have ceoliacs, then yes, but if not, some gluten in whole foods is a good thing.

As my chinese doctor says, "All things in moderation".

Mics

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 4:55 am

I tried kava kava, and I'm one of the few that had an adverse psychological reaction to it (in older books it was classified as a recreational drug). The effect was positive for the first few times, but then it aggravated negative aura hallucinations. I tried many herbs/vitamins/supplements for neurological problems, but many of them made the problems worse, especially seizures. Taurine formed big lumps, while St. John's Wort stabilized emotions, but caused photo-sensitivity.

The best result I got in diet was with a zero carbohydrate diet (extreme Dr. Atkin's Diet). After about a week in ketosis, my seizures stopped, psychological outlook was great, and for some reason I never could figure out, people in Santa Cruz, CA that I would meet asked me often (around 50%) if I was British because of the change in the way I talked and acted on the diet, while I've never been outside the Western USA.

It was difficult to avoid hypoglycemia on the diet without snacking often. And the high price for meat made the diet expensive (prohibitively costly, especially in today's prices), even in the late 1970's. And while ketosis was easy to measure with Ketostix, ketosis smelled bad unless large amounts of water are drank. Digital Blood Sugar meters didn't exist back then, but it would have been a great help to monitor blood sugar levels regularly to time snacks, because the severe bouts of low blood sugar levels are best avoided, especially over a night's sleep. The diet also makes appetite/hunger-pangs disappear as soon as ketosis starts.

Tadzio