Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

aislinndwyer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Apr 2014, 1:47 pm

What are some of the experiences of your IEP meetings? I am a teacher in MN and would like to hear parents' and students' points of views.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 2:15 pm

They just talk about your goals and the parent is always there with the teachers and they also tell them what they want for you. Each teacher is in there too you have and they all talk about how you are doing and what your struggles are. I didn't even start being at my own IEP meetings until I was in high school. I may remember some in elementary school because I can remember having to stay after school on occasions and my parents would come in and they would talk with my teacher while my brothers and I played. That may have been the IEP meeting but when I was older, I don't ever recall having to stay after school.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 3:28 pm

I only went to my IEP meetings after I turned 18 and they needed me to sign stuff I dont remember much from them

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2014, 4:39 pm

I went to them growing up, listening to other people talk about what I needed like I wasn't in the room, I have gone to them as a professional, it was the same.

Be like everyone else

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Apr 2014, 10:17 pm

I write several IEPs a year as part of my job.

I go to at least one IEP meeting a year for my son. At the last IEP I said, "The IEP is for some guy downtown. Your forms by legal necessity are too difficult for me to understand. I think we can get done with an IEP and MET both in one day and under 15 minutes."

The teachers seemed to like the idea.

www.manyperceptions.org

My son has autism.

Katie1978
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2014, 12:55 pm

I'm a teacher serving adults with ASD ages 18-21. I facilitate many IEP meetings each year.

I like to create an agenda with the following items: Welcome/Introductions, Purpose of Meeting, Students Schedule, Present Level of Performances, Educational Needs, Discussion of ESY (Summer School qualifications), and at the end, work with parents on forms (release forms, third party billing, update contact sheet)

During the meetings, I like to keep it structured, productive, and as easy-going as possible for the student and family.

Visual notes (dry eraser board) is helpful that can be used to include strengths, proposed goals, and transitional future planning.

Prior to the meeting, I like to sit down with the student and discuss the structure of the meeting and gather information on what goals he/she would like to include in the report.

Hope you find this useful.

Katie