Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:51 am

I notice alot of people here who say their low functioning
are very good writer. Why is that,do LFA people have
better grammar skill than NT and mild aspie.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:55 am

It's the best way for many LFA individuals to communicate, as most are at least predominantly non-verbal. I'd say along with practice, their brain probably tries to make up for a lack of spoken language in a way that may aid writing ability.

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2014, 11:59 am

My primary mode of social interaction throughout my teens was on web forums, so I assume that accounts for it.

EDIT:Bah I read the topic as HFA, sorry I'm not LFA.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 1:57 pm

Where have you been on the Internet that people without are worse writers as a rule? 4chan and Yahoo Answers?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 2:39 pm

I don't think they're better writers, as a rule, but if writing is their primary way of communicating, I bet they get a lot of practice.

There are certainly some rather good writers with severe autism.

Some people on WP have severe autism and you can't tell from their writing styles, but a few have atypical writing styles, like playing with words or just writing in ways that are easier for them, like avoiding pronouns so as to avoid pronoun switching. Some Aspies have atypical writing styles, too, so it's not a trait you find just in people who had a speech delay or are non-verbal.

The one thing I notice about the whole spectrum is that we tend to write more, and more precisely. We don't depend on nonverbal communication and connotation, so we spell everything out. It can be a little annoying to have to wade through somebody's long posts when it's evident that a shorter post could have covered the topic adequately, but I write extremely long posts myself, and I can't very well get angry at them for doing it. To be succinct takes editing and skill. I don't know who said it, but it's true of me: "If I had more time, I'd have written less."

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 2:46 pm

Well, for one thing, we're grammar nazis.
And spelling experts.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 3:18 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Well, for one thing, we're grammar nazis.
And spelling experts.

Not me

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 5:03 pm

billiscool wrote:

Er, what?

I don't see any particular substantive evidence for that. I don't know how you're judging functionality by posts, or by what criteria, but I've seen very few people here on WP refer to their level of external functionality specifically, only obliquely in personal anecdotes.

Virtually everybody who's diagnosed expresses multiple quality of life issues, which is why I maintain that IMO the term "mild" doesn't apply in actual practice - "mild" is not a degree of sensory impairment, rather, it's a measure of coping ability. If your autism seems mild, it's because your coping abilities are extremely sophisticated.

I know some will see that as a po-tay-to, po-tah-to argument, but I think the brain research will eventually bear it out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 5:33 pm

I have been impressed by the knowledge and courage of people who state they are "low-functioning" or who state they have "severe autism." They have much insight into their condition. And they do provide assistance to other posters.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 5:55 pm

I am not exactly low functioning(due to autism anyways, generally I'd say I certainly am not what I'd describe as high functioning)...but much of the time I find it easier to express things in writing than verbally. Not sure exactly why this is.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 6:09 pm

billiscool wrote:

I think you're a good writer, Bill, no matter what your functioning level.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2014, 12:47 am

I thought LFA WAS Aspergers ???

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 10:06 am

kaiouti wrote:
I thought LFA WAS Aspergers ???

LFA is "low functioning autism" (ie the classic full blown kind of autism).

Aspergers is essentially HFA (high functioning autism) without the childhood speech delay. Nowadays aspergers is dispensed with and they just lump it with HFA.

So (within the spectrum) LFA is practically the opposite of aspergers.