Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AH
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2010, 7:34 pm

Firstly, I am thrilled to have found this site. Thank you.

My brilliant son (diagnosed with Aspergers) is showing increased delayed Echolalia when he is alone or not involved with an activity. Most often, while riding in the car.

They are fascinating, intricate 'stories' as he calls them and he really seems to enjoy them. If I ask him about them he says 'Nothing' and continues.

I have been reading about delayed Echolalia and see that there are therapies etc but I am not sure I want to start something that may alter this since they seem very creative and expressive. Again, they do not disrupt his school, his social time (he is very social) ... it just seems to be his 'alone time' thing.

I joined this group because I'd like to ask if any members can tell me about their experiences in delayed Echolalia and if therapy would have or did benefit or would you recommend against it.

Thank you so much for any input.

AH

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 7:58 pm

If it is not a cause of impairment or distress, I would strongly advise against any move to prevent the behavior.

As an example of why non-interference can be important, a number of years ago, a physician decided to implement (and produce a study about) a new "therapy" where adversives were used to change the behavior of Autistic people. One of the tragetted behaviors was harmless stimming (not merely self harming, but any and all stimming).

The interventions were found to change behavior. The qualitity of life measurements found no improvement in quality of life for the Autistic subjects (although the "therapy" was considered successful as it made the Autistic people behave in ways that adults around them preferred).

More recently, there is some recognition that self-stimming behaviors are not entirely without function. Their role is often regulatory (for instance aiding a person in "self-soothing"). Removal of the behavior could not have been in the best interests of the individuals subjected to the intervention.

Behavior that appears to have no function, may actually have a purpose and intervention can impoverish an individual, robbing them of the functionality of the behavior. Your son's delayed echolalia may serve any number of purposes from relaxation through to aiding in learning and his development. I would strongly advise against any intervention in behaviors that are not causing significant impairment or distress, particularly when the cause and the potential functionality of the behavior is entirely unknown.

It would seem from your comments that you have an awareness or attitude that intervention is not always necessarily desirable or in the interests of the individual concerned. This is good for your son and reflects well on your judgement.

AH
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2010, 8:06 pm

pandd wrote:
If it is not a cause of impairment or distress, I would strongly advise against any move to prevent the behavior.

As an example of why non-interference can be important, a number of years ago, a physician decided to implement (and produce a study about) a new "therapy" where adversives were used to change the behavior of Autistic people. One of the tragetted behaviors was harmless stimming (not merely self harming, but any and all stimming).

The interventions were found to change behavior. The qualitity of life measurements found no improvement in quality of life for the Autistic subjects (although the "therapy" was considered successful as it made the Autistic people behave in ways that adults around them preferred).

More recently, there is some recognition that self-stimming behaviors are not entirely without function. Their role is often regulatory (for instance aiding a person in "self-soothing"). Removal of the behavior could not have been in the best interests of the individuals subjected to the intervention.

Behavior that appears to have no function, may actually have a purpose and intervention can impoverish an individual, robbing them of the functionality of the behavior. Your son's delayed echolalia may serve any number of purposes from relaxation through to aiding in learning and his development. I would strongly advise against any intervention in behaviors that are not causing significant impairment or distress, particularly when the cause and the potential functionality of the behavior is entirely unknown.

It would seem from your comments that you have an awareness or attitude that intervention is not always necessarily desirable or in the interests of the individual concerned. This is good for your son and reflects well on your judgement.

Big Exhale. Thank you ! It has been a long hard road since his diagnosis at 2 and we have a very unconventional situation with homeschooling etc and he is doing so well. It is very difficult as you can find a different opinion/suggestion/solution around ever corner. This can be very hard and confusing for a parent. I am so thrilled to have found this forum. Thank you again.