Isn't schizoid and avoident personality disorder Autism?

Page 4 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 11:58 pm

RaspyAspie wrote:
Again, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. Have you seen a professional about this? What diagnoses were you given up to this point?

I was diagnosed with Aspergers + Adjustment Disorder (with Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood). The diagnosing Psychologist indicated I did not have Schizoid (saying something about my demeanor not matching the other patients she has diagnosed as such).

I just started seeing a therapist. And this is something I will definitely ask her about. Thanks.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2014, 10:40 am

TPE2 wrote:
kicker wrote:

No, in fact research in various areas have been observing more distinctions between them. A recent study found in Psychology Today Findings Confirm Diametric Predictions (<-link) observed that they are in fact at opposite ends.

There is nothing in this article saying that autism is the opposite of schizoid disorder; more - the article does not even make any reference to schizoid disorder.

I am really sorry, I was speaking genetically, schizophrenia is part of the schizophrenia-spectrum disorders which includes schizoid personality disorder and current research has found that, genetically speaking, they share similar genes within that spectrum and not as much as what was thought with ASD. Proof of those differences was found in the article I pointed to and was meant as a starting point for individuals who wish to learn more to do so on their own.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 1:46 pm

kicker wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
kicker wrote:

No, in fact research in various areas have been observing more distinctions between them. A recent study found in Psychology Today Findings Confirm Diametric Predictions (<-link) observed that they are in fact at opposite ends.

That's really interesting. I learned about pre-pulse inhibition and how ppl with schizophrenia show less PPI in my neuro-psychology class when I was doing my undergrad degree, so ASDers have a higher PPI response or however they phrase it? Well, might have, the study has to be replicated, it's just one study. That makes so much sense to me though and I have a very extreme startle response to loud noises (and unexpected touch but that's not relevant). My mum and I were talking about this recently because she was saying that I'd have to not get startled by loud noises while driving if I learn. I freeze and flinch and sometimes shout when I hear them and if I did that in a car that would be very dangerous.

I think the research will stand pretty well. From my experiences working with both I have observed the same things this study measured. Autistic individuals will "jump" and become either agitated or befuddled with loud noises and people who fall into the schizoid category will continue on their way as if nothing happened not missing a beat.

I remember, though, a psych blogger who was big into the autism being diametric of schizophrenia saying that just as you may be both depressed and manic at the same time (in a mixed episode), it may also be possible to be on both the autism and schizophrenia spectra.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 1:55 pm

I remember this study here finding high rates of apparent premorbid ASD in individuals with schizophrenia:

https://gupea.ub.gu.se/bitstream/2077/2 ... 8249_1.pdf

It seems that if autism and schizophrenia are diametric, it appears that early on schizophrenia spectrum cases may resemble high-functioning ASD. I remember speaking with a researcher from the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, who has studied self-disorders in schizophrenia through such measures as the Examination of Anomalous Self-Experience, by email, and she says she has seen many cases of schizophrenia with a previous Asperger's syndrome diagnosis. In her opinion, these people never really had Asperger's syndrome; they were simply on the schizophrenia spectrum from the start.

She suggested that the presence of a high level of self-disorders may help distinguish a schizophrenia spectrum person from an autism spectrum person.

EDIT: BTW, this article gives a good intro to self-disorders in the section "The Disordered Self in Schizophrenia":

http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjour ... bt087.full

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 2:42 pm

RaspyAspie wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Well, note this, my diagnosis when I was 14 was (and stayed this way forever on this doctor's record):

AXIS I: Asperger's syndrome
AXIS II: Schizotypal personality disorder

I just broke the universe!

Schizoid and schizotypal are not the same thing. Your schizotypal diagnosis may have been the result of symptoms that were more visibly noticeable or disruptive, whereas an underlying schizoid personality can take longer to rear its head. This doesn't mean schizoid features weren't already developing in childhood... it's just harder to classify someone as having a "personality disorder" until their late teens or early adulthood. Isn't that the general rule of thumb for PD's? Anyway, this is just my knowledge on the subject. I'm open to reconsider my view...

See kicker's post about the schizophrenia spectrum. Both schizoid and schizotypal fall on that spectrum. Believe it or not, at 14 I was diagnosed as being on both the autism and schizophrenia spectra.

EDIT: There were actually early signs of schizotypy in my case. Early on, I was noted to have problems processing information and to be "consistently inconsistent" in my behaviors. At age 8, I was noted to exhibit signs of "perceptual distortion and cognitive disorganization" by my school psychologist, both schizophrenia spectrum traits. At age 11, "perceptual and cognitive distortions" were noted, along with internal preoccupations, a pervasively poor self-image and a tendency toward social withdrawal. When at age 14, I developed what we *now* recognize was a full-blown psychotic episode, replete with disorganized speech, in some ways it comes as no surprise, as there were hints of it going all the way back to Kindergarten. What was surprising was the remarkable recovery I made afterwards.

It makes me wonder if I've been on the schizophrenia spectrum and not the autism spectrum all along.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 3:50 pm

RaspyAspie wrote:
OJani wrote:
@RaspyAspie: I think people can be oversensitive to certain nonverbal signals while not being able to pick up on the more subtle ones (or not all types). Plus, their theory of mind can be impaired at the same time, so signals can be misinterpreted easily. No harsh environmental factors needed by default (but such factors may contribute to a worse outcome, or can be the only cause). In other words, I can't see why ASD symptomatology and later developing schizoid (or other) personality can't co-exist "synergically" (one making worse the other) in one person. Question is, which part is more significant (clinically)? (S)PD, ASD, or both?

Oh, yes, I agree. I think both ASD and SPD can certainly co-exist, I was just trying to further differentiate the two. So as you said, a person can be born with HFA but have an unsympathetic parent(s) - or misread non-verbal signals due to an impaired theory of mind - and suffer psychological wounding, giving rise to schizoid tendencies. In another case, a person with Aspergers could grow up in a nurturing, supportive environment and not become personality disordered. So it's important to separate the two, even though it's tempting to focus on their similarities.

It's also important to note that schizoid tendencies seem to surface in early adulthood, and Aspie tendencies in early childhood. A Schizoid person could go through high school and college and seem relatively normal, but as soon as they're thrust into the world of adult responsibility - getting involved in intimate relationships, steady jobs - they existentially freak out and hit the panic button. Suddenly, all that repressed childhood pain comes rising to the surface, erupting like a volcano. Not having had the opportunity to feel secure with intimacy and their personal identity, their inability to function adequately as adults becomes more readily apparent.

Thank you for elaborating, it's very helpful. I guess I'm not that schizoid as I thought after all, but definitely have some traits. Especially the 'escaping from the real world into my imaginary world' and the 'feeling afraid of being hurt in social situations' are the ones that apply to me, ...

RaspyAspie wrote:
That's a good question and I can try to answer it. I think I always had a vague sense of sadness growing up. In grade school I was good at sports (I know, not typical of Aspies if I do have it), did well in school, was popular, but was still unhappy inside. I'd learned to cope and cover up my problems as I continued into high school, continuing to mimic others to fit in. That's how I found my place and was accepted by others - I would adjust my personality, my interests, etc. to blend in. Eventually a collapse has to happen, a crisis of sorts. In my opinion, we all like to believe we're in control of our fate, but I think our general fates are preset in childhood. If you were mistreated in any way, eventually this will show itself later in life. Nothing can be suppressed forever. This is why psychologists might tell you, "you're exactly where you're supposed to be." You can't run from your pain forever, it doesn't really work all that well.

And so what happened to me was my social mask started to crack and I started experiencing intense anxiety and depression, etc. A few years later (now), I'm starting to understand the causal "dominoes" that led to this subtle breakdown. I'm going on a tangent right now and I don't even know if I'm answering your question haha :P. When I think about it, I think I had minor dissociative symptoms as a kid as well. I would escape into the mind a lot and would almost do it on command when a stressful situation arose. So my schizoid traits were definitely there to someone with a trained eye to see.

... but I never felt I could perfectly fit in anyway, and wasn't popular at all. My interests - even after adjustment - were always somewhat 'off' (never intentionally).

RaspyAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2014, 4:46 pm

beneficii wrote:
RaspyAspie wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Well, note this, my diagnosis when I was 14 was (and stayed this way forever on this doctor's record):

AXIS I: Asperger's syndrome
AXIS II: Schizotypal personality disorder

I just broke the universe!

Schizoid and schizotypal are not the same thing. Your schizotypal diagnosis may have been the result of symptoms that were more visibly noticeable or disruptive, whereas an underlying schizoid personality can take longer to rear its head. This doesn't mean schizoid features weren't already developing in childhood... it's just harder to classify someone as having a "personality disorder" until their late teens or early adulthood. Isn't that the general rule of thumb for PD's? Anyway, this is just my knowledge on the subject. I'm open to reconsider my view...

See kicker's post about the schizophrenia spectrum. Both schizoid and schizotypal fall on that spectrum. Believe it or not, at 14 I was diagnosed as being on both the autism and schizophrenia spectra.

EDIT: There were actually early signs of schizotypy in my case. Early on, I was noted to have problems processing information and to be "consistently inconsistent" in my behaviors. At age 8, I was noted to exhibit signs of "perceptual distortion and cognitive disorganization" by my school psychologist, both schizophrenia spectrum traits. At age 11, "perceptual and cognitive distortions" were noted, along with internal preoccupations, a pervasively poor self-image and a tendency toward social withdrawal. When at age 14, I developed what we *now* recognize was a full-blown psychotic episode, replete with disorganized speech, in some ways it comes as no surprise, as there were hints of it going all the way back to Kindergarten. What was surprising was the remarkable recovery I made afterwards.

It makes me wonder if I've been on the schizophrenia spectrum and not the autism spectrum all along.

Internal preoccupations, I seem to have a lot of that, lol. Do you care to give an example of how you experienced it?

How serious was your "disorganized speech?" I seem to have a hard time getting my thoughts into words and having people understand what the heck I'm saying; maybe this is a mild form of schizotypal-based disorganized speech?

Also, what were the signs in Kindergarten? If I'm prying and you don't want to share, I apologize; I'm just interested to learn more about this...

RaspyAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2014, 4:59 pm

OJani wrote:
Thank you for elaborating, it's very helpful. I guess I'm not that schizoid as I thought after all, but definitely have some traits. Especially the 'escaping from the real world into my imaginary world' and the 'feeling afraid of being hurt in social situations' are the ones that apply to me, ...

You may or may not be. The best way I would describe a Schizoid person would be to say they're like the walking-dead. They have a lifeless quality about them. Their skin looks lifeless. They're "dead-eyed." They're very emotionless when they speak. They walk like automatons; their arms don't swing naturally. Everything about their movements seems stiff and rigid. They're frozen; and this rigidness pervades everything they do: how they walk, speak, etc. (Notice I'm describing subjective features here, e.g. bodily, and that's because I resonate with the Alexander Lowen perspective.)

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2014, 5:04 pm

beneficii wrote:
kicker wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
kicker wrote:

That's really interesting. I learned about pre-pulse inhibition and how ppl with schizophrenia show less PPI in my neuro-psychology class when I was doing my undergrad degree, so ASDers have a higher PPI response or however they phrase it? Well, might have, the study has to be replicated, it's just one study. That makes so much sense to me though and I have a very extreme startle response to loud noises (and unexpected touch but that's not relevant). My mum and I were talking about this recently because she was saying that I'd have to not get startled by loud noises while driving if I learn. I freeze and flinch and sometimes shout when I hear them and if I did that in a car that would be very dangerous.

I think the research will stand pretty well. From my experiences working with both I have observed the same things this study measured. Autistic individuals will "jump" and become either agitated or befuddled with loud noises and people who fall into the schizoid category will continue on their way as if nothing happened not missing a beat.

I remember, though, a psych blogger who was big into the autism being diametric of schizophrenia saying that just as you may be both depressed and manic at the same time (in a mixed episode), it may also be possible to be on both the autism and schizophrenia spectra.

Here is a good site if you are interested in neurosciences and the current understanding of it. UCTV.tv. They have many video lectures on Autism and other disorders. As well they have just about every science field covered. So anyone could find something interesting to them.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 5:58 pm

kicker wrote:
beneficii wrote:
kicker wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
kicker wrote:

Here is a good site if you are interested in neurosciences and the current understanding of it. UCTV.tv. They have many video lectures on Autism and other disorders. As well they have just about every science field covered. So anyone could find something interesting to them.

Thanks. My main interest is in phenomenology, the study of subjective experience, which has been getting integrated with neuroscience in research, like in the 2 below linked articles. How much does UCTV.tv integrate phenomenology? I would be really interested were that the case.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23810736

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23863772

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2014, 8:27 pm

beneficii wrote:
kicker wrote:
beneficii wrote:
kicker wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
kicker wrote:

Thanks. My main interest is in phenomenology, the study of subjective experience, which has been getting integrated with neuroscience in research, like in the 2 below linked articles. How much does UCTV.tv integrate phenomenology? I would be really interested were that the case.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23810736

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23863772

I think if you took the time to explore the site I gave you would find what interests you.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Mar 2014, 9:50 pm

beneficii wrote:

There are questions as to whether schizoid PD is actually on the schizophrenia spectrum. It was once assumed that schizoid represented potential prodromal schizophrenia, but schizoid people are not more likely to develop schizophrenia than the rest of the population.

Quote:

Schizotypal traits are common among autistic adolescents:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20933368

Quote:
This study addresses the unraveling of the relationship between autism spectrum and schizophrenia spectrum traits in a population of adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Recent studies comparing isolated symptoms of both spectrum disorders as well as diagnostic criteria for each (DSM-IV-TR) suggest resemblances in the clinical phenotype. A group of 27 adolescents with ASD (11 to 18 years) and 30 typically developing adolescents, matched for age and gender, participated in this study. Within the ASD group 11 adolescents satisfied DSM-IV-TR criteria for schizotypal personality disorders.

Autistic and schizotypal traits were identified by means of well validated questionnaires (Autism Questionnaire, AQ and Schizotypal Personality Questionnaire-Revised, SPQ). Significantly more schizotypal traits in adolescents with ASD were found than in typically developing controls. Besides high levels of negative symptoms, adolescents with ASD also displayed high levels of positive and disorganized symptoms.

There appeared to be a relationship between the mean level of autistic symptoms and schizotypal traits, as well as specific associations between autistic symptoms and negative, disorganized and positive schizotypal symptoms within individuals. Schizotypal symptomatology in all sub dimensions that are reflected by the SPQ scores, was most prominently associated with attention switching problems of the autism symptoms from the AQ.

These findings indicate that patients diagnosed with an ASD show schizophrenia spectrum traits in adolescence. Although other studies have provided empirical support for this overlap in diagnostic criteria between both spectrum disorders, the present findings add to the literature that behavioral overlap is not limited to negative schizotypal symptoms, but extends to disorganized and positive symptoms as well.

My understanding is that this is common enough that the distinction between identifying schizotypy vs. autism is whether one's negative symptoms developed in childhood or adolescence. If the former, autism. The latter, schizotypal.

Quote:

Another trait that appears in autistic people that resembles schizophrenia is autistic catatonia. I don't know how common it is, but it tends to have a serious impact on one's ability to function.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 12:51 am

I still seem to have strong schizotypal traits:

Quote:
Ideas of reference 7 out of 9 Unsure 0
Excessive social anxiety 4 out of 8 Unsure 1
Odd beliefs or magical thinking 3 out of 7 Unsure 0
Unusual perceptual experiences 6 out of 9 Unsure 0
Odd or eccentric behavior 5.5 out of 7 Unsure 0
No close friends 8 out of 9 Unsure 0
Odd speech 8.5 out of 9 Unsure 0
Constricted affect 4 out of 8 Unsure 0
Suspiciousness 8 out of 8 Unsure 0
Total SPQ-A 54 out of 74

I've also noted that I have a lot of the self-disorders as measured by the Examination of Anomalous Self-Experience. Some of these include experiencing my first-person perspective as being in the back of my head and looking through my head to the windows (my eyes) outside or up to my thoughts which appear at different points in my head; I also have the longstanding feeling of harboring a monster.

As that Danish researcher said, high levels of self-disorders may distinguish a schizophrenia spectrum person from an autism spectrum person.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 12:52 am

kicker, et al.,

BTW, if you do have low PPI, what are some of the ways it would manifest in your daily life?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 1:36 am

beneficii wrote:
kicker, et al.,

:lol:

beneficii wrote:
BTW, if you do have low PPI, what are some of the ways it would manifest in your daily life?

I'm not sure, maybe you wouldn't be properly attentive or alert to the stimuli around you? I didn't learn about it in depth.

In my neuro-psych class the prof was just talking about it as a potential endophenotype for schizophrenia. An endophenotype is something measurable that exists between the genotype and phenotype ,in a way, it's an observable trait that's closer to the genes because it's more measurable, physiological ect. It can help in genetic research because relatives of people with schizophrenia also have a low PPI response Endophenotypes are good for polygenetic (lots of gene) disorders like autism and schizophrenia . It would be like finding a measurable physiological response, like an EEG pattern, in people with ASD and people with BAP or relatives of autistics that could be used in research. Since the disorders are complex and many genes cause many traits and there might be different versions of the disorder with different etiologies , it's good to isolate a consistent measurable response in people with the disorder.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Mar 2014, 3:55 am

beneficii wrote:
I still seem to have strong schizotypal traits:

Quote:
Ideas of reference 7 out of 9 Unsure 0
Excessive social anxiety 4 out of 8 Unsure 1
Odd beliefs or magical thinking 3 out of 7 Unsure 0
Unusual perceptual experiences 6 out of 9 Unsure 0
Odd or eccentric behavior 5.5 out of 7 Unsure 0
No close friends 8 out of 9 Unsure 0
Odd speech 8.5 out of 9 Unsure 0
Constricted affect 4 out of 8 Unsure 0
Suspiciousness 8 out of 8 Unsure 0
Total SPQ-A 54 out of 74

Which are common in autistic people.

Quote:
I've also noted that I have a lot of the self-disorders as measured by the Examination of Anomalous Self-Experience. Some of these include experiencing my first-person perspective as being in the back of my head and looking through my head to the windows (my eyes) outside or up to my thoughts which appear at different points in my head; I also have the longstanding feeling of harboring a monster.

As that Danish researcher said, high levels of self-disorders may distinguish a schizophrenia spectrum person from an autism spectrum person.

Perhaps.

Is there a link to that SPQ-A you took?