Page 5 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:03 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
I find it kind of strange that many of the aspies I've met IRL does it better than me.

They do what better than you?

valkyrieraven88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2010, 4:04 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Friskeygirl wrote:
Thank you, I think you hit the nail on the head

In what way?

I think she is agreeing that some people use the internet to compensate for a lack of courage in real life.

Especially people who say things like severe autistics should be beaten up and forced to come to rehab, people who rock are worthless

I don't say that I want people with autism to be beaten up, I just hope they get cured with as little force as necessary, I don't look up to people who rock by the way.

There are "low-functioning" people who post on here and they've said they don't want to be cured. Stop imposing cures on people. It's just like the debate in the deaf culture about cochlear implants, which don't work well and are put in children before they have the option to say yes or no to the procedure.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:04 pm

Lecks wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
I find it kind of strange that many of the aspies I've met IRL does it better than me.

In the workplace.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:05 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
I don't say that I want people with autism to be beaten up, I just hope they get cured with as little force as necessary, I don't look up to people who rock by the way.

What if they don't want to be cured? What do you do then?

Also, we already know that you don't look up to people who rock. Why does that matter at all? I don't look up to Cohen because he rocks; I look up to him because he has Asperger's yet founded and owns his own corporation. Why can you not look past the fact that he rocks and appreciate his accomplishments?

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:06 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Lecks wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

In the workplace.

That answers where; he asked what.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:09 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Friskeygirl wrote:

In what way?

I think she is agreeing that some people use the internet to compensate for a lack of courage in real life.

I was never to good IRL, I don't understand how society works, yet I'm not low-functioning.

Unfortunately people with neurological differences like Autism (AS included) are not the best self observers. This means our perspective of our own functioning and how other people view you may not be completely accurate. This means that you may not be as high functioning as you think.

Luckily, this site is FULL of wonderful people that come here to help each other be more successful IRL. That's why I come here. To give and receive help, so I can live a happier life. I want to help other people as much as I want them to help me.

Why do you come here?

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:17 pm

j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Friskeygirl wrote:

In what way?

I was never to good IRL, I don't understand how society works, yet I'm not low-functioning.

Unfortunately people with neurological differences like Autism (AS included) are not the best self observers. This means our perspective of our own functioning and how other people view you may not be completely accurate. This means that you may not be as high functioning as you think.

Luckily, this site is FULL of wonderful people that come here to help each other be more successful IRL. That's why I come here. To give and receive help, so I can live a happier life. I want to help other people as much as I want them to help me.

Why do you come here?

My psychiatrist has also said to me that I've learned much, and that I AM high functioning.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:23 pm

pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

Also, we already know that you don't look up to people who rock. Why does that matter at all? I don't look up to Cohen because he rocks; I look up to him because he has Asperger's yet founded and owns his own corporation. Why can you not look past the fact that he rocks and appreciate his accomplishments?

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:23 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
My psychiatrist has also said to me that I've learned much, and that I AM high functioning.

Did your psychiatrist tell you that being "high functioning" made you better than someone who wasn't?

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:24 pm

pat2rome wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

I'm not fond of those kind of computer things, just entertainment.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:25 pm

j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

Did your psychiatrist tell you that being "high functioning" made you better than someone who wasn't?

Yes, although I don't even know how to behave at this site even though I'm high functioning.

Edited, double post.

Last edited by bdhkhsfgk on 19 Feb 2010, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:25 pm

j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

Yes, although I don't even know how to behave among other aspies even though I'm high functioning.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:28 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

Yes, although I don't even know how to behave at this site even though I'm high functioning.

Edited, double post.

You may want to find a new psychiatrist then. If someone told me something that ignorant, I don't think I could trust anything they told me.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:28 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

You missed the point entirely (and failed to answer the question of what you would do if a low-functioning autistic did not wish to be cured).

Imagine somebody does something that you would normally admire them for. However, this person also rocks. Would you be able to look past that and appreciate his accomplishments, or would you no longer admire him because he rocks?

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:29 pm

pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

You missed the point entirely (and failed to answer the question of what you would do if a low-functioning autistic did not wish to be cured).

Imagine somebody does something that you would normally admire them for. However, this person also rocks. Would you be able to look past that and appreciate his accomplishments, or would you no longer admire him because he rocks?

I think.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:31 pm

j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

Edited, double post.

You may want to find a new psychiatrist then. If someone told me something that ignorant, I don't think I could trust anything they told me.

I meant that I don't know how to behave around fellow ASPIES, I know how to behave around NT's, but not aspies.