anyone ever ran into this type of thing before?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2010, 9:30 am

The article below was in my local paper today. Stuff like this makes things even tougher socially for women on the spectrum, in my opinion. In my case, the problem is not with my husband or with my male friends. I am GLAD that most guys I know interpret what I say as what I mean. The trouble starts when other women infer things about me. I think this might be a big part of the problems I have had as an employee in female-dominated workplaces (something I have learned to avoid like the plague).

When I say "go ahead," "don't worry about it/I got it," "nothing's wrong," etc., that is EXACTLY what I mean. I wish people would stop assuming that I mean something else. Grrrrrr...

Quote:
Making its way around the e-mail world is a list titled “Nine Words Women Use.” It’s meant as a guide for men.

So, fellas, pay attention:

1. Fine — This is the word women use to end an argument when they are right and you need to shut up.

2. Five minutes — If she is getting dressed, this means half an hour. Five minutes is only five minutes if you have just been given five more minutes to watch the game before helping around the house.

3. Nothing — This is the calm before the storm. This means something and you should be on your toes. Arguments that begin with “nothing” usually end in “fine.”

4. Go ahead — This is a dare, not permission. Don’t do it!

5. Loud sigh — This is not actually a word, but it is a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. A loud sigh means she thinks you are an idiot and wonders why she is wasting her time standing here arguing with you about nothing. (Refer back to No. 3 for the meaning of “nothing.”)

6. That’s OK — This is one of the most dangerous statements a woman can make to a man. “That’s OK” means she wants to think long and hard before deciding how and when you will pay for your mistake.

7. Thanks — A woman is thanking you. Do not question it or faint. Just say “You’re welcome.” (We must add a clause here. This is true unless she says “Thanks a lot.” That is pure sarcasm and she is not thanking you at all. Do not say “You’re welcome” in response. That will bring on a “whatever.” See below.)

8. Whatever — This is a woman’s way of giving her man a directive that begins with a four-letter word.

9. Don’t worry about it, I got it — Another dangerous statement, meaning this is something the woman has told a man to do several times but is now doing it herself. This will later result in a man asking, “What’s wrong?” For the woman’s response to that, refer to No. 3.

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2010, 9:36 am

Oh yeah, and nonverbal communication poses the same problem. Apparently I send out all sorts of messages that are sometimes even the complete opposite of the way I feel, and I am completely unaware that I am sending them. Since females are supposedly better at sending and reading nonverbal cues, it's a double whammy:

1) Females are more likely to pick up on all these imaginary nonverbal messages I am allegedly sending;

2) Since I am female, people read things into my facial expressions and body language that I'm not sure they would if I were a guy.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 9:39 am

I hate articles like this; they don't "teach" men anything, but they do leave a mark on impressionable young girls; who might grow up to make their partners' life a perpetual hell of vague statements and bludgeoned horse carcasses.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 9:50 am

Lecks wrote:
and bludgeoned horse carcasses.
That is scary.
"Every time you use non-verbal communication to pass judgment on a person, a horse gets bludgeoned to death."

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 10:09 am

I don't know in which context this article has been written, but to me it seems to be more a kind of mysogynic humour than psychology.

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 10:18 am

ursaminor wrote:
Lecks wrote:
and bludgeoned horse carcasses.
That is scary.
"Every time you use non-verbal communication to pass judgment on a person, a horse gets bludgeoned to death."

Hehe, I was trying to refference the saying "beating a dead horse" - to keep bringing something up that's already been dealt with.
But I like what you came up with.

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2010, 10:19 am

Psychopompos wrote:
I don't know in which context this article has been written, but to me it seems to be more a kind of mysogynic humour than psychology.

At the end, it says, "COMING NEXT WEEK: The counterpoint. A comparable, perhaps even longer, guide to common phrases used by men and what they really mean." So they're not just focusing on women. However, the writers do appear to me to present the email as a serious news piece (and I question whether doing so is responsible journalism). Here is the URL:

http://www.qctimes.com/lifestyles/quadr ... =hottopics

Kaizer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2010, 10:23 am

i hate articles like these they only lead to confusion and misunderstandings i always say what i mean to the best of my ability things like this only encourage mind games which i cant be f*cked with to be honest

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 11:08 am

But honestly, a magazine about autistic relationships would not get bought much (by NAs, the majority).

Abstract:
What autistics really mean when they say,
Yes (Yes)
That is fine (It is not a problem)

Not a very interesting or otherwise shocking read.
But maybe it is interesting for non-autistics.
Maybe.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 11:14 am

Yaaaa, everywhere are guides like this and later men are very surprised that I do what I say. And say what I think.

Men complain that women use hidden meanings bla-bla-bla, but when they meet someone like me, they aren't happy. What a strange thing!

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 11:19 am

When you're aware of a phrase that you're using literally that other people assume you're using to mean what they'd mean (the non-literal meaning), it's a good idea to change the phrasing you habitually use to convey that concept.

ex.:
"Nothing's wrong," as a reply to someone asking you whether something is wrong, can be replaced by, "I'm just thinking." I've found this a good way to let people know that my neutral expression when I'm not communicating with someone is not a sad expression, but a thoughtful one.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 11:19 am

This thing has been floating around for years and, yes, it's intended as a joke that's meant to relieve frustration. It's not intended to be taken seriously. It's intended to humourously highlight the ways in which communication can break down when people are afraid to really confront what's bothering them. Many of the phrases are based on conflict avoidance tactics -- some of them I've used myself.

In my case "Nothing" usually means nothing is wrong, but occasionally it means, "yeah, I'm upset and irritable, but I'm telling myself it's not that important and I feel silly for being upset and irritable over it, so I'm trying to brush it off." Some people, not just women, make the mistake of using it when they mean, "I don't feel ready to talk about this rationally right now, but if I tell you that I don't trust you not to try and push the issue and force a confrontation."

And, yes, there is a men's version. I just can't remember what's included on it.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 11:20 am

I've seen similar things before. If I care about the other person understanding me, I'll explain early on 'If I say something I mean just that'. I do understand others being annoyed by this article but I think it's a type of language that non-autistic spectrum women use quite often (not all women who are non-autistic spectrum use language this way but those who do use it a lot).

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 1:45 pm

riverspark wrote:
The article below was in my local paper today.

Wow, that doesn't speak well for your local paper. This drivel is email SPAM 'humor' that's been forwarded around the planet several thousand times in the past 20 years.

Good gods - the internet has been a household utility for twenty years already. 8O

alana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 2:04 pm

yeah, whatever. I know this happens and sometimes men just need to commiserate about it. I've had girlfriends frustrate me similarly too though, still...

glad I'm a dyke.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 3:50 pm

Valoyossa wrote:
Yaaaa, everywhere are guides like this and later men are very surprised that I do what I say. And say what I think.

Men complain that women use hidden meanings bla-bla-bla, but when they meet someone like me, they aren't happy. What a strange thing!

there is a fine line separating honesty from hostility.