English National Concession (aka disabled) bus passes

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2010, 4:18 pm

Does anyone here with Asperger's/Autism have an English National Concession pass, of the mobility variety (not the senior citizen one)?

I thought I might be eligible for one a few years ago, but then decided I probably wouldn't. But someone I know got one recently (though I'm not exactly sure what his problems are) and seemed quite confident that I would be able to get one.

I did a bit of digging on the internet, and found that people with Autism/Asperger's may indeed be eligible for one.

I might contact my GP or the council at some point over the next few weeks to make inquiries 8) .

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2010, 5:01 pm

I have one - my local Autism Resource Centre had to fill in a form for me, to say that I attended appointments there and got help from them, which entitled me to one. I live in Scotland, though - not England. This is what the website for the Scottish one says:

"You will qualify for Scotland-Wide Free Bus Travel if you suffer from a mental illness, learning disability or personality disorder and can demonstrate all of the following:

- you are resident in Scotland;
- you are aged 5 years or over;
- you suffer from a mental disorder in terms of the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003;
- your ability to travel is impaired by your condition;
- it has persisted for more than a year; and
- your condition means that you need to travel in order to keep health or social care appointments or participate in activities as part of a treatment, care or rehabilitation programme."

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2010, 5:31 pm

Its a bit different in England. Here are our rules: http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/info/200091 ... bus_pass/1

This link suggests that someone with Asperger's Syndrome should be eligible: http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/f ... or_those_w