Simple Question: Tourettes and Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 6:08 pm

I was just wondering if Tourettes is related to/on the spectrum with AS/Autism or not.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2010, 6:17 pm

Tourette’s Syndrome
Although not seen as commonly as ADHD and anxiety disorders, it is not unusual to see individuals with Tourette’s syndrome as well as Asperger’s Syndrome. Tourette’s syndrome is characterized by repetitive vocal and motor tics.

These six conditions exist in the general public and in the absence of Asperger’s Syndrome. However, the rate of diagnosis among individuals with AS is unusually high when compared with those not on the spectrum. In time, scientists hope to better understand the link between these conditions.

Read more at Suite101: Asperger's Comorbid Conditions: SPD, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression, Dyspraxia, and Tourette's Syndrome http://autismaspergerssyndrome.suite101 ... z0j2pUEcPN

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 6:19 pm

Thanks ASgirl. That's great. :)

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 6:21 pm

ASDs, tourettes, ADHD etc are all conditions that affect the frontal lobes. So they all share similarities and that means in many cases more than one affect the same person.

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2010, 5:20 am

I have both. My evaluating psych told me it's much more common with TS on the autism spectrum. There's also a very strong correlation between TS and ADHD.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 1:51 pm

Ditto for me. In fact, it was my TS diagnosis that provided a window of inquiry that led to my AS diagnosis.

Etular
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2010, 2:01 pm

Off-topic: I've always wondered, how does Tourettes actually work? Sure, they shout out Swear words constantly uncontrollably (correct me if I'm wrong), but what if the person is never taught curse words to begin with?

On-Topic: Again, they are more or less somewhat related. However, I wouldn't go as far as to say they're similar. For example, I, myself, take a view that is purely against swearing and offensive language. I report people on the Xbox for using it and having it in their profiles, I scold every friend that uses it, I look in scorn at anyone whom isn't a friend and uses it.

Tourettes, on the otherhand, swear uncontrollably (again, correct me if I'm wrong), are unable to avoid doing so (regardless of their opinions on swearing), have sudden "turns" but, I assume, naturally don't mind swearing as much due to the constant swearing that have no control over doing? Or, perhaps, they take the opposite view as they feel they are swearing too much? I have no idea.

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2010, 11:10 am

Only about 10% of people with Tourette's use foul language uncontrollably. My vocal tics are humming and whistling without realizing it. When I was a kid I hummed and cleared my throat a lot. Some people say "plain" words repetitively, because they feel a certain way coming out. It's like an itch, and saying the word is scratching.

As you might notice I don't have a lot of vocal tics, so I would have ended up with tic disorder NOS if it hadn't been for my vocal tics as a kid.

I had an autistic kid in my class when I was ten who had coprolalia (that's fancy speak for foul mouth) He would hiss obscenities at people when they walked by. But I want to emphasize that nine out of ten people with Tourette's do not do that.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 5:18 pm

Is there a difference between TS and the vocal stimming that goes along with AS? I keep wondering if my almost 5 yr old son has TS. He was diagnosed at 2.5 as PDD-NOS/possible Asperger's. He loves to just say random words that come to his mind. He sometimes just starts talking about random stuff that does not pertain to the situation. He seems to have control over it though. I have not noticed any involuntary motor tics, although he does flap his hands when he is excited. At what age can TS be diagnosed, and is it necessary to go through more testing for this at his age?