Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ProfessorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2010, 12:01 pm

don't know about you guys, but I often rehearse what I'm going to say to somebody before I do it. Try and map out the several possible ways I'd like the conversation to go.

What I do hate is getting caught rehearsing. For some reason, I vocalize, or subvocalize (at best) the conversations. Usually I make sure I'm alone. But sometimes someone is watching and I don't always know it.

Which I've always had trouble explaining.

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 12:08 pm

I rehearse a lot, but never aloud. Have you tried to practice it only in your thoughts? I never get caught :wink:

ProfessorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2010, 12:19 pm

Agnieszka wrote:
I rehearse a lot, but never aloud. Have you tried to practice it only in your thoughts? I never get caught :wink:

it's not even happening totally consciously. I just start thinking about the conversation, and before long I'm vocalizing.

I really need my own office.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 12:24 pm

My parents caught me rehearsing, a long time, ago. They presumed that I was talking to myself, and the told me to stop.

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 12:26 pm

ProfessorAspie wrote:
Agnieszka wrote:

it's not even happening totally consciously. I just start thinking about the conversation, and before long I'm vocalizing.

I really need my own office.

Oh... Well, am scared sometimes that I might say something aloud but I think it never happened. In your case having your own office would be good.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2010, 12:30 pm

i rehearse every night in bed before actually falling asleep. it's fun most of the time too. it helps me drift off.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 12:48 pm

ProfessorAspie wrote:
don't know about you guys, but I often rehearse what I'm going to say to somebody before I do it. Try and map out the several possible ways I'd like the conversation to go.

What I do hate is getting caught rehearsing. For some reason, I vocalize, or subvocalize (at best) the conversations. Usually I make sure I'm alone. But sometimes someone is watching and I don't always know it.

Which I've always had trouble explaining.

Yes, I do this and yes, I hate to get caught, its embarrassing. I don't like people interrupting my privacy any way. People should really learn how to knock and get permission before they barge right in. My children learned how to knock on bedroom and bathroom doors when they were young. There is no reason an adult should not be able to do the same. I'm so happy I live alone.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 2:23 pm

Ugh, yes. As a kid, I didn't have privacy and I wanted it so very much... my mom didn't have any sense of privacy; and my stepdad picked up on my love of it and would punish me by taking bedroom and/or bathroom doors off the hinges. My mom, though, was just kind of oblivious. She just didn't realize how important it was to me, and figured, "Hey, I changed your diapers; I should be able to walk into your room whenever I like." Dad, on the other hand, used it as a deliberate torture.

I learned very early on that the only true privacy you ever get is in your own head.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 2:36 pm

I have been caught rehearsing too- not out loud, though. My lips will move sometimes if I really get into it and block everything else out. I got to a point where I didn't care if people caught me because they already knew I was weird. If they asked what I was doing I would just say I was going over something in my head. I never really got any bad reactions from anyone either.

One time (when I was in my early twenties) I was so overwhelmed with my thoughts that I got up and started pacing about talking to myself a little out loud (but quietly) in my office. When I caught myself I was so shocked that I had actually done this in public. I asked the other guy who worked with me in the office if I was talking out loud. Well, no worries because the guy had fallen asleep in his corner desk. He was one of those who could sneak in a nap without detection. So we just kept each other's secret. :lol:

That really made me start being more careful about my stimming (didn't know that word at the time either) in general and some of my odd behaviors. After getting a bit older and having my daughter I really stopped worrying much and caring what people thought because no matter how hard I try to hide stuff, people still think I am "different" or eccentric. Becoming a mother shifted my priorities too.

Edit for spelling and clarity-what a rambling mess!

Last edited by pumibel on 09 Apr 2010, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 2:45 pm

Yes I rehearse a hell of a lot and practice conversations in my head that could happen, and I sometimes get caught mouthing whatever it is I'm saying in my head.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 3:55 pm

All the time before I actually head outside the door. :lol: I get caught rehearsing and they ask me, are you talking to yourself.
My usual response would be.... *blank*

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 4:13 pm

Am I supposed to do this in private only?

oops.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.