Are you AS or MILD AS?
AS 41%  41%  [ 46 ]
MILD AS 59%  59%  [ 66 ]
Total votes : 112

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 3:47 am

I set up a poll asking whether people recognise MILD AS or not.

Unfortunately each poll can only ask one question and it seems that it would help to put that poll into perspective if we have a picture of the demographics here; so this poll is simply asking if YOU think that YOU are AS or MILD AS.

I realise that this will not necessarily reflect the sample who responded to the previous poll but none the less........

Thanks again.
:?:

11 Oct 2009, 3:53 am

There is a debate now about Mild AS just like there was about handicap stalls at Yahoo Answers :lol:

You forgot moderate AS and severe AS.

Saying there is no mild AS is like saying there is no mild hearing loss or mild cerebral palsy or mild mental retardation or mild schizophrenia or mild bipolar or mild depression or mild Alzheimer's or mild vision loss.

I have mild AS.

ShogunSalute
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Oct 2009, 3:57 am

AS is the mild version of Autism, saying you have Mild AS is like saying you have a mild condition of a mild condition....which makes not much sense to me.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 3:59 am

Thanks Spokane Girl,

You made a good point and it reveals how new I am to all this :!: :)

I chose MILD vs AS because there seems to be more contention over this distinction than any other.

I could be wrong. :wink:

I guess a better choice would have been MILD AS and EVERYTHING else (which is how I hope people will respond)

It is interesting to see a diagnosed Aspie describing herself as mild.

Thanks

11 Oct 2009, 4:12 am

Mild just means not bad, severe is very bad and moderate is between very bad and not bad.

But however, someone can have mild AS and have very bad sensory issues so it may seem like their condition is bad when the main core of it is sensory issues. And what's funny is someone can have mild AS and have difficulty with sarcasm and reading people while someone has moderate AS and has no problem with reading people or picking up on sarcasm. I have seen people with AS claiming they can read people better than normal people. I still don't quite understand sarcasm but I get some of it like "Just wow" "oh great" "can this get any worse?" but I don't understand how can someone be sarcastic but was serious as they said it. If they were serious as they said it, then it was a lie then, if it wasn't a lie and if they weren't serious, then they were being sarcastic or just joking. My mom says it's complicated and won't explain it to me. She says I don't need to know it.

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 4:28 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I don't understand how can someone be sarcastic but was serious as they said it. If they were serious as they said it, then it was a lie then, if it wasn't a lie and if they weren't serious, then they were being sarcastic or just joking.

I always notice a tonal difference in sarcasm (mine and others'). Are you so sure that they are being serious?

Incidentally, I would classify myself as "mild", because of the sheer number of unmatching symptoms, and many others that I've grown out of.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 4:41 am

"Traditional" HFA (the kind that was diagnosed 50 years ago), where run-of-the-mill AS is usually a milder version of it (there's a lot of irony here).

Anyway, if you meet the diagnostic criteria (unfortunately, it's not universally understood by professionals, let alone laymen), you have it, and that's that.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 4:49 am

Mild AS and AS are the same thing, at the end of they day it's still AS it's just a severity, it's just like saying "are you AS or severe AS" it wouldn't make much sense would it. I am mild myself BTW. And Im going with what spokane girl just said about having mild AS but having major problems in one main area, for me it's executive dysfunction and that part of the AS is pretty bad for me even if I am "mild".

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 7:04 am

as because of my meltdowns otherwise would be mild :)

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 7:10 am

I find all the mild vs. non-mild/moderate/severe/whatever, AS vs. autism, etc. debates rather useless without someone having provided a definition. Besides, my functioning level (another stupid term) changes depending on the situation.

Why do you assume there is less controversy about mild AS vs. the rest than about any other distinction? I see all autistic tendencies, from the "broader autism phenotype" (autistic traits without qualifying for a diagnosis, often found in family members of Aspies) to profound autism, a sifferent points along different continuums (of social skills, communication levels, slef-care skills, behavior problems, etc.), and some people who are very mild in one respect, can be profoundly disabled in another.

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2009, 7:17 am

Followthereaper90 wrote:
as because of my meltdowns otherwise would be mild :)

Hm good point, if I can avoid things that lead to meltdown then I'm mild but then avoiding these things does tend to demand isolation which then surely makes me less mild :? It's all so complicated.

I do tend to agree with the 'have it or don't' camp to be honest but aren't they going to be making more catagories in the next DSM? Then there'll be more things you can have or not have, more or less confusion? We'll see.

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

ShogunSalute

11 Oct 2009, 7:32 am

I think alot of people here are going to be very upset when the DSM-V comes out.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 7:40 am

ShogunSalute wrote:
I think alot of people here are going to be very upset when the DSM-V comes out.

If they are they probably aren't 'mild' then :wink: :lol:

I had to blurt that one out sorry :)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 7:52 am

I don't believe in mild AS.

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2009, 7:56 am

ShogunSalute wrote:

How do you mean? In that they may not be in the group they want to be in? Hopefully they'll make a mild NT catagory and I'll be able to slip in and hide in the corner lol

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 7:59 am

It wouldnt be VERY mild if you were hiding in the corner, perhaps you could sit next to me, I'll save a couple of chairs, 6 feet from the wall