what exactly separates worldly WPers from the hermits?

Page 9 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

sort yourselves into these categories, por favor
i am a captain of the universe, an alpha human 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
i'm the captain's lieutenant, a beta or middle manager 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
i am a foreman or supervisor of the worker bees 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
i am a long-suffering worker bee 10%  10%  [ 14 ]
i am a hermit, and almost totally out of the picture 38%  38%  [ 54 ]
i am an entrepreneur/independent contractor 11%  11%  [ 16 ]
i am retired or independently wealthy 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
i really love ice cream! 31%  31%  [ 44 ]
Total votes : 143

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 3:32 pm

Between 3 and 5 Angstroms; depending on temperature, humidity and wind conditions.........

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 6:59 pm

Asp z says

Buffett uses derivatives himself, don't be fooled, he does whatever's profitable - as an investor should.

The Aspie hedge fund manager is Micheal Burry, a short article on him can be found here, and you can read loads about him here and in The Big Short (book).

I myself plan to be a hedge fund manager when I'm older, I don't see what moral problems there are with it - people give me their money to invest for them, if I succeed I get paid, if I don't I get nothing.

Thanks, I'll need to do some back ground reading I like him though I have my doubts :? he seems to much like a goody too shoes a ,Mr Sheen if you like (a fictional character/ product here in Australia used to shine /clean furniture etc.

I was under the impression he doesn't use them except for hedging currency when he owned businesses pre Berkshire Hathaway days , he says they have their place though goes on to say ( emphatically so) need strong regulation. Also this surprises me he says uses almost no gearing and recommends a ratio of no more than 25%, seems a little to low to me :? theirs one geared share fund here in Australia where you put up 50% and they borrow the other 50% at those sorts of ratio's you'll never have to make a margin call (they even guarantee it)

When I finally get off disability :) and back to work :) I need to set up my own self managed superannuation fund because the regulatory authorities do not allow gearing as part of a retirement plan (when it's self managed their are a few clever tricks you can pull off :) I need to see an adviser.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 7:03 pm

8) article says:

The man is an easy target. He has a glass eye, Asperger's syndrome, and he's into heavy metal.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/michael- ... z0peJrLH8R

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 12:26 pm

If you wanna know more about Buffett, watch this documentary. (YouTube stream in 6 parts)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 10:14 am

Another article about Micheal Burry, which makes note of how Asperger's helped him, clicky clicky:)

kia_williams
Raven
Raven

03 Jun 2010, 11:30 am

auntblabby wrote:
have been lurking here from WP's creation until my recent registration. however, for all that time [2005 to the present], the one thing which won't quit nagging me, however, is my observation that some folk posting here describe themselves as relatively low-drama, worldly-wise and normally-functioning folk on the spectrum, with good-status jobs, good finances and successful relationships with other people. but there are others more similar to myself, who can only look-on at the former group with a mixture of incomprehension, confusion and envy. i would really like to know, what exactly is the big IT, that separates the successfuls-in-spectrum-life from the less-successfuls. what is that magical thing or combo of things which is the key to happiness and high-functioning for the successful-in-life group here on WP? please, good folks, i gots to know. thanx in advance for any replies from y'all good folks. :)

To Be Honest?

What magical thing is 'it' that means i could spend 13 hours a day around a population of 100 people (in and out they go) and be "normal" human being, have a close knit number of friends who thought i was "cool, alittle odd once in a while, but real smart often funny"? next to no meltdowns, two long term relationships that ended but on real good terms?

.. Lying, Lying to myself and everyone else about myself.

like some of the other posters, learning all the little tells, all the little rules and tricks used by humans.. and then pretending they applied to me, Wearing a "mask" over my entire body for two decades, Mmm even have to learn to mimic their bodylanguage.

That and i think severity has an impact, i have no idea how sever my AS really is.. i spent too long (since i was old enough to understand that different = other kids hurt you) crafting my responses and exterior to "fit" into the NT world and its society..

IMO that's the "price" of success in the NT 'world'.

It wasnt worth it.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 8:55 pm

know more about Buffett, watch this documentary. (YouTube stream in 6 parts)

Thanks, It really used to be a interest of mine until I learned about EMH :oops: (Efficient Market Hypothesis) I went cold. Far better for ignorant and low achieving people like myself to invest in a Index fund, actually Buffet recommends them for said people .

The smartest guys in the room need to invent a geared index fund, all the geared funds that I've looked at are "actively" :roll: managed. Why do people bother investing with these low achievers? than you've got MER's at nearly 3% and your way way behind the eight bull . Index funds only charge .3. - . 5 % :)

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 8:59 pm

article says:

and also why he could stomach reading the thousands of pages of mortgage bond prospectuses that he ploughed through to find the weakest bonds to bet against.

me :) ing

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 1:56 am

aussiebloke wrote:
article says:

and also why he could stomach reading the thousands of pages of mortgage bond prospectuses that he ploughed through to find the weakest bonds to bet against.

he has to have a photographic memory or is otherwise a speed reader.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 1:59 am

kia_williams wrote:
That and i think severity has an impact, i have no idea how sever my AS really is.. i spent too long (since i was old enough to understand that different = other kids hurt you) crafting my responses and exterior to "fit" into the NT world and its society..IMO that's the "price" of success in the NT 'world'.

but the key thing is you were able to do this without too much trouble, so i am wondering what your gift is? high intelligence? i am beginning to think it is just that, brute force brain power that plows through all the obstructions that flummox lesser folks like me who find it much more practical just to become hermits.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 3:27 am

Perception.

We look upon the world with clear eyes, the place is a mess. Doing the right thing in a wrong world does not work, it is easy to become a hermit.

The same force that causes so much trouble, can also avoid it all.

I do not fit in, interaction never works, but I can envision a place I want to be and get there, just by continuing the vision.

In the world most things do not work for me. As game I lose most rounds, as a hermit I play less.

The stock market or selling on the internet, no one cares who you are, I now have an equal chance.

Michel Burry saw a hole in the market, bad loans then sold as securities that could be cheaply shorted.

He had a vision of holding those shorts when the market tanked, he did, it did, but it took years of holding the same vision. It worked till others got the same vision, then they wanted to buy back what they had sold him.

There is no resistance to a vision, no defense, and working toward it does produce.

I can do nothing about tomorrow, next week, but next year is easy, and several years, I own the future.

Buffet compared it to a snowball, have something, get to the top of the hill, and as it rolls down the rest happens.

I am aware I live in my own past. today might not be helpful for today, but planting seeds in the future, they will grow. I try a lot of things, most recover the cost of trying, and I have more to work with.

My little snowballs merge, I learn, and they are there when I reach that future.

Short term, get a job, deal with people, I am hopeless.

Long term, position myself where I see technology going, I am there with the stuff when it counts.

I wanted to go camping, first I had to gather a pack, tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear, outsdoor clothes, boots, in bits and pieces over time, then one day, I could pack up and go.

Unlike living in the world, no one noticed as I gathered, and then I was gone. Now I live as a baskpacker in a world of backpackers. Through a series of small acts over time I chose another future.

I have a business I built the same way. There I notice a doubling of assets, which not only works better when there are more assets, but the doubling time gets shorter. The snowball rolls, and there is no limit.

Several things became clear, I can send my future self presents, and things built in the future do reach the present in time.

There are also very few people working a future vision, and like backpackers, we are part of another world.

I avoid the current present, and when it reaches my future, I am waiting with just the goods that are now in demand. Most business chase markets, I get ahead of them.

So I think the real line between the worldly and the hermits, is the hermits live in the present, and it is an ugly world. The worldy have desire, a better future, and that is hard to reach through the present, but easy to send your future self gifts.

Having a future vision, feeding it, thinking about it, learning more to support it, draws you toward it everyday. The world is filled with resistance, the future is welcoming.

ASD survival based around special interests, laboring alone, few humans will spend a year or more working on an idea, we survive and thrive because we are not attached to the present like most people.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 4:18 am

auntblabby wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:
article says:

he has to have a photographic memory or is otherwise a speed reader.

No, he just read loads of stuff about his obsession like pretty much all Aspies do.