what exactly separates worldly WPers from the hermits?

Page 5 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

sort yourselves into these categories, por favor
i am a captain of the universe, an alpha human 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
i'm the captain's lieutenant, a beta or middle manager 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
i am a foreman or supervisor of the worker bees 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
i am a long-suffering worker bee 10%  10%  [ 14 ]
i am a hermit, and almost totally out of the picture 38%  38%  [ 54 ]
i am an entrepreneur/independent contractor 11%  11%  [ 16 ]
i am retired or independently wealthy 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
i really love ice cream! 31%  31%  [ 44 ]
Total votes : 143

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 10:34 pm

boy, that was a downer. i hope i didn't kill this thread!
8O :duh: :doh: :shrug:

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 10:42 pm

I think it depends on someone's definition of success. One person can be viewed as a total failure to others, and at the same time be viewed as a total success to another group of people. I'm a bit of a worker-bee myself, although I really like ice cream (and chocolate!). It's an interesting question.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 11:30 am

katzefrau wrote:

how does one kill a thread anyway? i seem to have done it myself but am clueless as to the mechanics of it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 11:32 am

aspiegirl2 wrote:
I think it depends on someone's definition of success. One person can be viewed as a total failure to others, and at the same time be viewed as a total success to another group of people. I'm a bit of a worker-bee myself, although I really like ice cream (and chocolate!). It's an interesting question.

what i was trying to get at, was the fact that there are lots of self-described WPers here who have posted about having financial success and social success and boyfriends/girlfriends/mates/sexual fluency and general lack of sexual frustration. what magic gene or brain thingy do these people have that i so plainly lack? that's all i wanna know. it's the mystery which is killing me.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 11:35 am

auntblabby wrote:
katzefrau wrote:

how does one kill a thread anyway? i seem to have done it myself but am clueless as to the mechanics of it.
You either say something so shocking and revealing that no one else would genuinely have anything to add to it, or that no one else could reply to it without insulting the person. Also, it could be a response that is incomprehensible but people wouldn't want to ask what it means due to fear of sounding too rude. It could also be an old thread being resurrected, the type of thread where everything has been said already so people just leave it alone. So as you can see, there are several techniques to thread killing. So far, I've been moderately successful at it.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 12:46 pm

MathGirl wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
katzefrau wrote:

You either say something so shocking and revealing that no one else would genuinely have anything to add to it, or that no one else could reply to it without insulting the person. Also, it could be a response that is incomprehensible but people wouldn't want to ask what it means due to fear of sounding too rude. It could also be an old thread being resurrected, the type of thread where everything has been said already so people just leave it alone. So as you can see, there are several techniques to thread killing. So far, I've been moderately successful at it.

oh :oops:
thank you for that detailed explanation. it was enlightening. i guess i tend to be both embarrassing as well as incomprehensible. as a function of killing threads, i wonder if the socially successful aspies generally avoid this?

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 2:06 pm

auntblabby wrote:
MathGirl wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
katzefrau wrote:

oh :oops:
thank you for that detailed explanation. it was enlightening. i guess i tend to be both embarrassing as well as incomprehensible. as a function of killing threads, i wonder if the socially successful aspies generally avoid this?

i like embarrassing and incomprehensible. this wouldn't necessarily kill a thread for me.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 2:22 pm

My favorite thread kill was someone who commented she wanted to rip her uterus out of her body. There was a lull and then she came back and said " Boy, can I kill a thread or what?"

forestg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 May 2010, 2:22 pm

I love vanila, but will accept any :D

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 3:49 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Quote:
what magic gene or brain thingy do these people have that i so plainly lack? that's all i wanna know. it's the mystery which is killing me.

I know the feeling....all too well i'm afraid.

I've been trying to unravel the mysteries of my own
brain, genes, behavior, etc....for nearly forty years now.

I have more questions now than I did when I started.

As a person who has had NO success....academically, financially, socially, or in
any other way humans commonly define success, the pain that stems from my
own mysteries is perhaps even worse than your own.

I say that at the risk of sounding presumptuous, but I felt it should be
said nonetheless.

What might make it worse is the fact that based on the results of ALL my professionally-administered neuropsych evaluations/IQ test....I appear PERFECTLY normal.

Perfectly normal for people with NVLD/AS that is.

Even perfectly normal for such people with depression, schizotypal PD and
other mental disorders which often come with the NVLD/AS territory.

And most, if not all, of these "perfectly normal" folks have had SOME successes.

At least academic ones and/or ones related to hobbies or talents/skills they may
possess.

But I can't even sit impoverished and friendless in my parent's basement (so to speak) and enjoy my guitar-playing or writing...cause I suck at those things too.

I can't even look upon the BS degree in marine science hanging on the
basement wall with some sense of accomplishment...because I don't have
one.

The ridiculous AA degree I have in liberal arts (from a community college)
liberal arts is hardly a great source of pride. Especially considering I opted
for course substitutions for the math requirements of the degree.

And no one can tell me much of anything about my brain....nothing but
endless speculation (educated speculation or otherwise) and no conclusions.

Science knows more about the beginning of the universe than it does about
this three-pound clump of gloop between my ears.

I find that tragically ironic.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 5:41 pm

Catching a good woman is like catching a squirrel. I chase and chase with little expectation that I will actually catch one. Doing the chasing is one of the ways I get out and do things. When I do catch one, it is a complete surprise. Usually a date ends up being only one date, because one of us (her) throws the other back (me) and gets back into the chase. The main thing is to keep trying until there are no more squirrels, I mean women. Or was it :fish: :nemo: :fish: :nemo: :fish:

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 6:52 pm

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!!

I guess some are happy with the way they live, and are too content to get "out there."

I've virtually found my cure. A customer service job can give you social skills plus more confidence.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 6:59 pm

Actually I think this question, posed in another way, came up on a past thread and the magic answer was stamina.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 3:37 am

Horus wrote:
The ridiculous AA degree I have in liberal arts (from a community college) liberal arts is hardly a great source of pride. Especially considering I opted
for course substitutions for the math requirements of the degree.

only very few of us can approach the talent of a segovia or a chet atkins- this said, if you can play the guitar in any capacity, that exceeds my performance by a country mile. my fingers would never cooperate on the fretboard. plus they wouldn't callous but would just keep cutting and bleeding.
your AA degree that you denigrate, i would love to have been able to accomplish for myself. give yourself some due credit. i have never been able to really finish anything, including school. the fact that you got your degree indicates some degree of executive functioning, which is a BIG plus. i would love to have your problems [as you described them] in that respect. i would love to have your IQ as well. i would not feel bad about sidestepping the math requirements, as i am a total innumerate and can well understand the pain of maths incomprehension.
learn to love your reflection in the mirror a bit more. why not?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 3:41 am

Mudboy wrote:
I am retired and might feel like a hermit if I did not have a job. I work mostly for the social interaction with my coworkers. I am successful at work, but have been through 3 marriages so far. I am living alone again, looking for number 4 so I can have more of a social life again.

ok, you describe yourself as being socially successful, so please tell me how do you do it? what is your magic?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 3:44 am

forestg wrote:
I love vanilla, but will accept any :D

i like chocolate myself, but this sounds like the multiracial thread as much as the ice cream thingie. :lol: