Working memory more important that IQ for grades

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 5:06 pm

My working memory isn't the best. I was horrible at taking tests and pop quizzes, in High School.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2010, 11:14 pm

CaptainIrate wrote:
The IQ test really isn't an accurate predictor of intellect, in my opinion. After all, I believe that the test was originally designed to be culturally biased, so that only people who've experience certain lives will score high. I think it was used to prove that the southern rural blacks were inferior to the northern city-dwelling whites. It asked things that only people living in the cities would know. One would see a picture of a teddy bear and would have to say what it was. If you lived in the southern country, you probably would have never seen one before, or a bear for that matter. The tests have changed since then, but even still today, there's no absolute way to prove someone's intellect or ability to succeed with a test.

Yup! You are spot-on there, buddy! Great examples and good insight.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 12:03 am

CaptainIrate wrote:
there's no absolute way to prove someone's intellect or ability to succeed with a test.

good point. but an interesting thing i read ages ago, was that the late dr. william shockley [he was the prize-winning transister guy, whatever else you may think of him and his elitism] "invented" a helmet thingie that he had guests at parties put on [as a parlor game] then stare at some flashing lights- the helmet thingie was attached to some machine that measured neural response time to the [integrated] flashing lights, and the highest-"scoring" person he "tested" this way was a beautician who spoke 8 languages. i don't know how he worked it but the beautician "scored" over 200 points on his machine. i wonder if there is anybody else who at least claimed to measure intelligence electronically.

zombiecide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2010, 3:13 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Well I'm f****. Good to know, at least now I know why I'm failing college. (Besides procrastination.)

Procrastination has as main cause poor planning skills (especially concerning long-term projects) which are linked to poor working memory.
Or rather: It's not the poor working memory that makes people underachieve; it's rather that working memory is a way to measure the necessary skills.

Horus wrote:
I believe this is very likely too. Ironically I know a person studying to be an RN who is somewhat like the nurse-anaesthetist you described. She claims her IQ tested at 132 and while i'm somewhat hestitant to call her an NT

132 isn't particularly high. I was tested at 133 and I'm not that bright; I just tend to remember a bit more than most other people and to do it a bit faster.
I also have fairly weak working memory, but usually cope well. (If you just know enough about a given topic you don't need to keep many details in your working memory!)
It's just that this short-term related coping behaviour doesn't make up for the other weaknesses associated with poor working memory, like planning in advance, making decisions whilst keeping track of many factors, self-discipline etc.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 9:14 am

zombiecide wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:
Well I'm f****. Good to know, at least now I know why I'm failing college. (Besides procrastination.)

Procrastination has as main cause poor planning skills (especially concerning long-term projects) which are linked to poor working memory.
Or rather: It's not the poor working memory that makes people underachieve; it's rather that working memory is a way to measure the necessary skills.

Horus wrote:
I believe this is very likely too. Ironically I know a person studying to be an RN who is somewhat like the nurse-anaesthetist you described. She claims her IQ tested at 132 and while i'm somewhat hestitant to call her an NT

132 isn't particularly high. I was tested at 133 and I'm not that bright; I just tend to remember a bit more than most other people and to do it a bit faster.
I also have fairly weak working memory, but usually cope well. (If you just know enough about a given topic you don't need to keep many details in your working memory!)
It's just that this short-term related coping behaviour doesn't make up for the other weaknesses associated with poor working memory, like planning in advance, making decisions whilst keeping track of many factors, self-discipline etc.

I've scored as high as 143 on my last IQ test and I truly believe there's something wrong with my brain which may as well result in mental retardation Diagnosis.

Long story and i've shared it before countless times on WP.

My social deficits aren't even the tip of the iceberg.