EightMilesHigh wrote:
I have a lot of symptoms that fit the criteria, such as:

- I'm pretty quiet/shy
- Sometimes I pace or drum with my fingers when I'm anxious
- I'm very interested in movies
- I'm talkative around some people but not others
- I feel like people don't get me

What do you think?

8O .....I think we need a bit more information than this.

I don't know what 2 and 5 have to do with Asperger's in the first place.

Sure some people with AS drum with their fingers, pace and think people don't "get them"...but so do billions of NT's.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 4:40 pm

:? Hmm. I don't get you. :shrug:

:P Joking. :wink:

I don't see anything on that list that indicates you're having a serious problem. Having a few traits doesn't constitute a disorder - 'disorder' indicates that it's affecting your ability to function on a day-to-day basis. I mean no one can diagnose something like that in a stranger online in any case, but I think if you were being seriously incapacitated by the traits listed, you'd have been more descriptive about how they cause you problems. You'd just have to see a psychologist and be tested to be sure, but I hope you don't (have it, that is) - I wouldn't wish my AS on anyone.

Well, okay, there are a couple of @ssh*les I'd be glad to give it to... :twisted:

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 4:50 pm

Asperger's:

The mental disorder du jour.

Is there anybody left with a few eccentricites a billion NT's share who DOESN'T think they might have AS?

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2010, 4:54 pm

I'm no expert on the subject of aspergers/autism, but what you describe sound (w/o only those traits you listed) like normal shyness to me, or a product of an introvert personality type. What you need to ask yourself is : do you feel socially awkard, at uneae or anxious in social settings? do you have sensory issues? do you insist on strict routines? could your behavior be described as rigid or aloof? Do you have early or current behavioral issues? Can your problems be explained by any other disorder than AS? Do YOU feel like you don't get others ? Do you avoid eye contact or have trouble processing facial expression? Do you have problems reading non verbal cues, or figuring out the intentions of others? If you can answer 'yes' to some of these questions, I suggest you take the aq test/ other as related tests before you decide if you want to get an official diagnosis.

p.s I think everybody feels like nobody 'gets them' at some point in their life, AS or not.

Hidden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2010, 5:06 pm

EightMilesHigh wrote:
I have a lot of symptoms that fit the criteria, such as:

- I'm pretty quiet/shy
- Sometimes I pace or drum with my fingers when I'm anxious

What do you think?
Taking the information you provided into consideration, it's not likely you have Asperger's, unless you provide more information. Right now, you seem to be a normal (introverted) person. :)

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 5:22 pm

How come your profile says you're diagnosed?

If you are dx'ed, you'd know that list is nowhere enough to tell anything. Or one would think, anyway.

...Unless you're trying to semi-troll, by trying to make the point that you think there's huge numbers of people people thinking that a list like that does qualify as AS. You also have a low post count. :?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 1:07 pm

Well, since I am neither a clinical psychologist nor a neuropsychiatrist, I am in no position to give you a definitive answer. Even if I was, I have nowhere near enough information to judge.

That being said, Willard's post seems to me to be bang on. If your traits do not present a clinically significant impact, then your traits are unlkely to suffice for a diagnosis. If your traits do present a significant impact on your daily living, then it is worth pursuing--even if it isn't AS, it will likely be something else.

On the whole, I would be far more interested in these discussions if we were dealing with impacts rather than with presentations.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 1:11 pm

Horus wrote:
Asperger's:

Is there anybody left with a few eccentricites a billion NT's share who DOESN'T think they might have AS?

Me. I know I don't have AS, though I have some things in common with people who do. I've got two kids with AS and one who was dx'd with PDD-NOS but we're not sure if that's right as he's outgrown so many symmptoms. I may be a carrier or something. :)

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2010, 1:30 pm

Horus wrote:
Asperger's:

I wonder why it is so popular, personally I would prefer something that was less permanent if I had a choice.
Being normal is all I really wanted basically.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 2:58 pm

EightMilesHigh wrote:
- I'm pretty quiet/shy

What do you think?

That describes pretty much every person on the planet.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 3:08 pm

Troll, probably by a forum regular, based on his other posts. Alex should check into it.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 9:30 pm

um ask a doctor?