Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Midori69
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2007, 8:02 pm

I've just been reading on another forum, and I noticed someone described themselves as a Borderline Aspie. Who of you out there would describe themselves this way and why? I'm very curious as I am undiagnosed, but suspicious.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 8:05 pm

I am borderline AS/NT.

Borderline means that while someone is still an Aspie, they don't have the issues with sensory issues and rigidity as severely as those that are deeper in the spectrum--if they have them at all.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 8:14 pm

Eh. . . I dunno.

I have more of the "deep spectrum" symptoms and less of the basic (say, lack of essential social ability) diagnostic ones. . . but I'd say "borderline aspie" is one of the clearer ways one could describe me.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 8:14 pm

Even though I've been rediagnosed as NVLD, I'd say I'm barely even on the spectrum at all. I have the obsessions and meltdowns, but nothing else whatsoever, such as sensory issues.

skippy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Oct 2007, 9:03 pm

What are some of the sensory issues and symptoms? I have always had body language issues with myself and I think I read others fine though. I also have problems conveying what my true thoughts feelings are at times of stress and I guess when overstimulated I leave to the grey room but still aware what is going on further away from me .... but those nearest me in proximaty disappear.

Midori69
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2007, 9:16 pm

My husband and I are almost positive that our 7 yo son has Aspergers, what made me wonder about myself was seeing my husband's exasperation when my son freaked out over disturbing tv shows, the loudness of the phone and funny smells. I try to, in some ways, interpret for my son because I share his aversions. My husband always complains that I don't take the kids out to socialize enough which made me very defensive until I realized that although I can socialize, I find it exhausting. I think I've been setting up quite a comfortable little Aspie world here at home for my son and myself. Since reading about AS I've begun to recognize in myself an all pervasive feeling of confusion when it comes to dealing with people.
Oh my God, I could go on and on, forever self analytical!
BTW Thanks for all your help everyone.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2007, 10:33 pm

Midori69 wrote:
My husband and I are almost positive that our 7 yo son has Aspergers, what made me wonder about myself was seeing my husband's exasperation when my son freaked out over disturbing tv shows, the loudness of the phone and funny smells. I try to, in some ways, interpret for my son because I share his aversions. My husband always complains that I don't take the kids out to socialize enough which made me very defensive until I realized that although I can socialize, I find it exhausting. I think I've been setting up quite a comfortable little Aspie world here at home for my son and myself. Since reading about AS I've begun to recognize in myself an all pervasive feeling of confusion when it comes to dealing with people.
Oh my God, I could go on and on, forever self analytical!
BTW Thanks for all your help everyone.

Just don't trap him in your world, it will destroy all hope he has of a chance at overcoming some of the social problems. I don't say this to be mean, understand, but I have a mother who has severe OCD and some agoraphobia and people anxiety. When we moved into our home, she immediately built a 7 foot dark privacy fence and that's the only place we were allowed. No one in, no one out. My life sucked, in so many ways. If Asperger's didn't socially cripple me, she threw the final blow to any chance that remained. Socializing isn't easy for me, obviously, but I do it. I force myself for the kids' sake. My daughter loves kids right now, though my son pretty much thinks people are furniture and ignores them entirely. It's something you need to work on. And your hubby needs to try and understand. Nothing is lousier than feeling bad about the lack of social connections already then having someone get you feeling defensive about it. I think things will be fine. Being here will give you quite an education in the spectrum - it has for me!

WCHandy

14 Oct 2007, 11:12 pm

When do sensory issues become an "issue"? Is the fact that someone is aware that they have a lower tolerance for sounds and noise than most people mean that it is an issue or is it only an issue if it causes problems?

Midori69
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Oct 2007, 12:22 am

Quote:
Just don't trap him in your world, it will destroy all hope he has of a chance at overcoming some of the social problems. I don't say this to be mean, understand, but I have a mother who has severe OCD and some agoraphobia and people anxiety.

I entirely agree with you. It's a good thing my husband does stress about it, it forces me to do it, although I did suggest to DH that if he was that concerned HE COULD TAKE THE KIDS OUT HIMSELF SOMETIME! No, he's pretty good, I just find I have to be quite careful with the balance.

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2007, 12:39 am

I consider myself a borderline aspie because I have a lot of the qualities of it, even the sensory issues, but I am still able to function pretty well in social settings. I owe that to the fact that my father had the same issues and really helped me out a lot with sports and body awareness, and also building an emotional connection, as much as is possible, with another person.

Plus I had two sisters, so I can talk about hair, makeup, clothes, etc. which makes it really easy to relate to other females. So I make friends with other women pretty easily one on one, although I cannot deal with groups of people of either sex because I cannot process the conversations well when there are more distractions in the room.

So when I take an aspie test, I am always borderline because of the social stuff. But otherwise I am pretty classic.

15 Oct 2007, 3:09 am

I thought borderline aspie meant you didn't quite meet the criteria but got diagnosed with it anyway because you were so close. I also thought it meant between AS and NT.

I call myself borderline because I am very close to being normal and I act normal most of the time. I can talk to people, carry on conversations, I barely have sensory issues, I can work and I can adapt to change and deal with changes, I can change my routines, be flexible, I can talk about anything that interests me and talk about different stuff. I still have my aspie quirks and moments.

NLDer
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Oct 2007, 3:25 am

I was diagnosed with Nonverbal Learning Disability by one professional, but was told by another that they probably would have diagnosed me with "Mild Asperger's". So, maybe that is similar to what the person was calling "Borderline Asperger's"?

I have problems interpreting social cues, etc.. that is the WORST symptom.

I also loose things, I was diagnosed with ADD also... I forget things..

I don't have the obsessions with particular topics as severe as those with Asperger's, although I have had somewhat intense interests before.. with various things/subjects.

I prefer to be outdoors in nature where things are more peaceful, than say a Walmart. I hate being in Malls or other large, enclosed crowded buildings.. I think there may be some minor sensory issues... because Walmart's can be pretty disturbing sensory-speaking.. If I wear headphones and listen to music, I seem to process things better because there isn't all the extraneous noise... distracting me..

LF

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 4:47 am

Midori69 wrote:
I've just been reading on another forum, and I noticed someone described themselves as a Borderline Aspie. Who of you out there would describe themselves this way and why? I'm very curious as I am undiagnosed, but suspicious.

What's a borderline aspie is like asking what a borderline black man is. Or at what point does a short string stop becoming short and become a large one.

Maybe the best way to describe is by use of fractions. I am probably more aspie then 800 people. Some people it is more 1/200. Or someone who would be just considered a geek might be 1/20.

15 Oct 2007, 5:24 am

There is such thing as borderline schizophrenic and such thing as borderline ret*d. I'm sure there is such thing as borderline autistic and other conditions. It just mean you're not quite that but close. So borderline AS means close to having it but you don't quite have it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2007, 6:28 am

WCHandy wrote:
When do sensory issues become an "issue"? Is the fact that someone is aware that they have a lower tolerance for sounds and noise than most people mean that it is an issue or is it only an issue if it causes problems?

It is ALWAYS only an issue if it causes problems. I have a sensitivity to sound, for example. It is only a problem when certain pitches are hit, or the volume goes too high. Luckily, they are both rarely the case. There have been even some popular songs that have such pitches though.

Isn't the point to avoid the problem in the first place though?

Khalaris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2007, 10:14 am

likedcalico wrote:
There is such thing as borderline schizophrenic and such thing as borderline ret*d. I'm sure there is such thing as borderline autistic and other conditions. It just mean you're not quite that but close. So borderline AS means close to having it but you don't quite have it.

Or it could mean that you have it, but you almost don't. Who knows exactly where on that admittedly very wide border you are?